Obi Wan Kenobi Series Costume

Usagi Pilgrim

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
These are the first leaks of images, but I thought I'd start a thread in case anyone wanted to try & get a jump start on things like boots & such.

First 3 are McGregor, & last 2 are probably a double. Hope these help someone.

Screenshot_20210613-101130.png
Screenshot_20210613-101146.png
Screenshot_20210613-101239.png
Screenshot_20210613-101331.png
Screenshot_20210613-101357.png

The boots resemble the Frye campus 14L model used by Alec Guinness in ANH, just in suede rather than veg tanned leather. The inner tunic looks to be a variation on his inner tunic worn in TPM and AOTC with the rucked sleeves. The outer shirt looks like it's linen or a linen look fabric. I like the small puttees at the top of the boots. What I'm really enjoying thus far is the sort of desert garb vibe that the Tatooinne extras wore in ANH which is captured here.

I think what I'm liking the most is the way that 'covering' billows out on the double. I know it'd out of character, but I'm digging the dark colors, & think if they went with a black robe, it'd look really good.

And note: Here is the Vader figure that Sideshow is going to turn out right when the series debuts - it has to be the H. Christiensen outfit.

But kind of ESB helmet and armor, ANH box and belt, whatever cod, and what appears to be ROTS shin guards. Note the length of thigh like in ROTS and note too that the torso components all touch like in ANH and like they would on a smaller person (Hayden).

Look too at the smaller waist.

Look at the sanded down center strip on chest armor (like ROTS).

Anyway, the Obi-Wan series Vader...
26WSS204_Darth_03.jpg

26WSS204_Darth_05.jpg

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm pretty sure the black outer robe isn't part of the costume. It's to prevent us from seeing the actual costume.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm pretty sure the black outer robe isn't part of the costume. It's to prevent us from seeing the actual costume.
That's correct.

I was just laughing about how Ewan tries to fully cover himself, but the double gives it a half-hearted try at best.

I was saying earlier that a black robe would be out of character for Kenobi, but with the darker costume, that covering makes me think a black robe would look pretty cool.

When Star Wars came out in 1977 I thought Obi Wan wore his outfit because of living in a desert environment. It fit with what other people were wearing on Tatooine. I thought it was a mistake to have that become the basic template for Jedi outfits regardless of where they live.

When Star Wars came out in 1977 I thought Obi Wan wore his outfit because of living in a desert environment. It fit with what other people were wearing on Tatooine. I thought it was a mistake to have that become the basic template for Jedi outfits regardless of where they live.
To be fair, even as far back as the OT, the garb Obi-Wan wore was actually intended to be what Jedi wore, as Jedi were meant to dress like the simple, everyday folk of the Galaxy. Think like Gandalf the Grey, wearing simple wool robes instead of lavish silk or other expensive cloths. A man who wouldn't stand out in a crowd. It's just that in the PT, the people of the Galaxy we see are usually wealthier, or at least dress the part, so Jedi become more easily identifiable.

To be fair, even as far back as the OT, the garb Obi-Wan wore was actually intended to be what Jedi wore, as Jedi were meant to dress like the simple, everyday folk of the Galaxy. It's just that in the PT, the people of the Galaxy we see are usually wealthier, or at least dress the part, so Jedi become more easily identifiable. Think like Gandalf the Grey, wearing simple wool robes instead of lavish silk or other expensive cloths. A man who wouldn't stand out in a crowd.
I can agree with the wearing simple garb part, similar to a monk. It would have been a huge coincidence if Obi Wan intended to dress like the locals and the locals just happened to dress like Jedi making it unnecessary to dress differently.

The only incognito part about Obi Wan and Luke on Tatooine was Obi Wan going by Ben. You would think Luke and Obi Wan would go by much different names even if their real names were common. Leia went by the last name of her adopted parents. I know at the time of making ANH Leia wasn't a Skywalker.

Hey Gang! It's kinda funny that Ewan is looking a little gross with sweaty, oily hair, only having to tote along his paperback book and reading glasses, yet the stunt double's hair is clean and fluffy but he has to drag along his big ol' OGIO bag ( aka stunt double's trailer ;) ).

Hey ggriffaw ! One thing to remember is that Anakin HATES SAND! Not to mention his failure as a Jedi Padawan there on Tatooine when he slaughtered the Tuskin Raiders that tortured Shmi. So Anakin aka Darth Vader, never had any interest in hearing ANYTHING concerning that planet until Leia brought him back there. Even then, he didn't want to come down to the planet surface to find R2-D2 and C3-PO himself.

I totally agree with Ben Kenobi being an AMAZINGLY WEAK 'nom de plume', even a moisture farm kid could figure that one out! ;)

The only thing that I think might have saved Luke SKYWALKER from standing out is that he was living with the Larses and hadn't applied to the Academy yet. Surely that last name poping up on an application would have set off a red flag on the Emperor's watch list.

But all that aside, it would have added too much to the story and probably added confusion to the establishment of the characters in the short time frame of a movie to have given them secret names that would have to be explained in the film.

That being said, Ben Dusty-wan and Luke Sandkicker would have been great secret names. Vader would have skipped right past any mention of dust and sand without a second glance!

But all that aside, it would have added too much to the story and probably added confusion to the establishment of the characters in the short time frame of a movie to have given them secret names that would have to be explained in the film.

I can understand the point of Vader not wanting to personally go to Tatooine.

In ANH there was no indication of Vader, Luke, and Leia being related so there would have been no reason to explain fake names.

I don't understand why anyone that is being protected from the Empire would continue to use their real name, and the protector would change his first name but not his last name. Maybe those names are common, but why wouldn't they go by fake names? I'm pretty sure everyone in witness protection goes by new names.

It all goes back to changing the story as they went. When making ANH, Vader was not Luke's father. That story line was added when making ESB. Leia being Luke's sister was added when making ROTJ.

Back to the costume, maybe the boots in ANH are supposed to be these new boots after years of being worn down.

Well, we know surprisingly little about the galaxy at large. It's been speculated since ESB that perhaps Skywalker is the SW Galaxy equivalent of Smith or Jones. Regardless, if you're protecting that big a secret, you'd think Owen and Beru would have name him Luke Lars. He could have found out he was a Skywalker early in ANH. Gets pissed they never told him, runs off stealing the droids, still meets Ben, feels bad, goes back and voila, identical from their on out.

It wasn't really a glaring issue until the prequels though. I guess that's what happens when you surround yourself with yes men, no one points these things out.

When I was a kid I had presumed that Ben’s outfit was similar to most Tattooinians. For example, see the fellows below. They were all wearing the star wars equivalent of a day suit, but obi-wan’s was ratty and patched up, and Uncle Owen’s was made of old dirty towels. Because Ben’s outfit was so worn down, he probably blended in with all those weirdos. He probably didn’t wear his lightsaber too overtly either.

Here, Uncle Owen’s outfit is very similar to Ben’s, including the tabards, except for the old bathrobe.
8895B10F-1B60-4CE6-B8CF-ABC0CE78EBC7.png

From their younger days, we can see that Aunt Beru and Owen both wore heavily pilling robes that were originally pure white when they bought them. Owen even wore the Jedi-style tabard.
74A6178F-8F58-4E9E-A4CB-165843FBBC1B.jpeg

The Jawas wore mini robes that appear to be sourced from just one long roll of wool carpeting.
B9988D64-E371-4D09-A513-1278FEBDF727.jpeg

This weird anteater spy is wearing new black robes. I guess the Empire pays its spies well.
FFC63C80-DD50-47B3-BB1A-4AE921E63348.jpeg

The raiders wore robes along with ascots made of old pantyhose, probably from the same discount shop that Uncle Owen likes.
D4370F07-3C1E-4BDD-8217-64C741FB530C.jpeg

This guy, who looks like he got into a teleportation machine with Jeff Goldblum, also wears new, dark robes. Makes sense as he has money to buy Luke’s sandspeeder.
C29810A8-A8A3-47DE-8B3A-81F408D92A24.jpeg

Even Luke appears to be wearing a junior sized robe.
A5410099-9303-4093-8861-DCF86FDAA3A0.jpeg

Only Evazen and Walrusman don’t wear robes. Probably because they never had any money to buy some.

I can agree with the wearing simple garb part, similar to a monk. It would have been a huge coincidence if Obi Wan intended to dress like the locals and the locals just happened to dress like Jedi making it unnecessary to dress differently.
The only incognito part about Obi Wan and Luke on Tatooine was Obi Wan going by Ben. You would think Luke and Obi Wan would go by much different names even if their real names were common. Leia went by the last name of her adopted parents. I know at the time of making ANH Leia wasn't a Skywalker.

We can debate it all we want, in the Phantom Menace behind the scenes they showed lots of different concept art for the Jedi uniforms. The truth is, when they made the first Star Wars (1977) they made his costume to look like everyone else on Tatooine. When they decided to make it the Jedi uniform in the Prequels it was an after thought. When asked, they explained it away as being humble clothing to represent the people of the Republic... but that was an after thought.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back