Obi Wan ANH Sabre Emitter build

SPY007

I am upgrading the Obi Wan ANH Sabre that I built in the early 90's when only the pommel and clamp had been ID'd. I re-used the sink ring I found back then. The sink ring was found in a box of junk at a plumbing place and was already old. I could never find the maker. The rest is scrap stainless steel that I recently picked up for little or nothing. I will eventually JB Weld or solder the parts together. I may redo the ring with the holes. Still needs some work.

I agree with Tan, this is incredible! and I have the same questions haha.

right now I have a plate from a door lock and some sink tubing to make up the pipe part...

Re: Obi Wan ANH Sabre Emitter and parts build

Here are some more images. The pommel is a later model sink knob similar to the original prop part. The Booster I made with a PVC connector and 1/4 inch ABS. I ran the ABS through a table saw two times to create triangular strips that I cut down and super glued to the PVC connector. These gear like teeth were then sanded down. Another segment of PVC connecter was added to go into the pommel - that is the unpainted white part. I made the "Graflex" clamp years ago from sheet aluminum and 1/4 square, steel rod.. I Have a real Graflex from which I made a template. The frag part is a resin cast I also bought years ago. It was made by Frank Cernay long before the grenade had been identified. For my upgrade, I dremeled out the front of the grenade and inset a brass washer. The brass stem is made from plumbing tube. I had to ream out the larger tube parts to fit over the smaller one. This saber is still a WIP. I need to figure out the wind vane part before I can trim the pieces and stick it all together.. I may redo the booster and I hope to ad add a real Graflex clamp.

Last edited:
Looks good so far. The solution for the rear grip/gear/slash booster is a good one. I'd considered a similar route myself, but wasn't sure where to get the triangular stock. Duh... Make it!

Here are a few more images. The tarnish makes the pluming pipes pieces look like copper. The wind vane ring was made from a bearing. For the fins, I used a 1 and 1/2 inch a hole cutter in a drill press to make a ¼ inch thick aluminum disc. I had to sand the disk down with a table top belt sander a bit to fit in the ring. I then put it in a vice and hand filed out the fins. Took 3 tries. Not perfect, but better that what I had. The sabre is not done. Needs capacitors, some paint, a hole or two drilled in the stem, assembly and weathering. I’d like to see if I can make a better booster and stainless steel clamp.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. thd9791, not sure what you mean by "what is behind the clamp". I assume you mean what is on the inside? The resin grenade "frag" part extends part way into the clamp. The grenade is a little less than 1 and 1/2 in diameter. I added a ring made from 1 and 1/2 inch sink pipe. I will post a more pics this week

I actually found it in a Valu Home Centers (The red and yellow) it was in a plastic cabinet with screws and bolts, they had their own drawers.

Here are a number of photos. Hope these help. The PVC connector used for the booster was the exact length needed, But it was a little wider on one end. Used a table sander to get it all even. The fins, or ribs, were cut just under 1/4 inch wide. I marked the connector before super glueing on the ribs to make sure I ended up with 16 fins. I also used a small sanding drum on the underside of the fins, for best glue adhesion. Had made the fins from grey plastic, I could have rubbed off some paint to weather it. I will likely used some silver paint. Still a WIP.

Last edited:
Wow, SPY007

after weathering, it looks even better! Great build

honestly, I tip my hat for someone who can (for want of a better word) engineer how these fit together. I tend to lose my head when I sit down to figure things like this out.

Tan Djarka: good! :) makes me happy to see a successful find.

And I just found some old tubing from an Obi Wan Ep. 1 style My dad and I made a few years back (I should really post that) and sure enough, it's 1.5 inch tubing and fits snugly inside our second clamp :rolleyes

Tan Djarka: good! :) makes me happy to see a successful find.

Don't get too happy. I decided to "remove" the bearing to liberate the sleeve I'm actually going to use and... Well, while I didn't destroy it, you wouldn't have wanted to hear all the cussin' and fussin' I did. Man was that a pain in the butt to do. On top of that, it may actually be a little narrow (top to bottom) for the saber I planned to use it on.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back