Obi Wan ANH Sabre Emitter build

Hahaha all in the name of creativity! no sweat :lol it's still great to find stuff even if you never use it. i found a couple of laptop memory cards that i figured I would use somehow, and they're still sitting downstairs on the workbench.

That being said, I still need to pick up a tool that can cut metal, pvc wood and all that jazz, should I be looking for a dremel or..? (anyone haha)

Hahaha all in the name of creativity! no sweat :lol it's still great to find stuff even if you never use it... That being said, I still need to pick up a tool that can cut metal, pvc wood and all that jazz, should I be looking for a dremel or..? (anyone haha)

Oh, after all that trouble I'm definitely going to use it, just not on the saber I'd originally intended to. And yes, a Dremel or comparable rotary tool is indispensible for most of the stuff I (we?) do.

You know, sometimes I don't understand this place. This is one of the best mostly hardware/metal Obi ANH sabers I've ever seen, and there's very few people commenting. Some threads get more oohs and ahs over a grenade that's been left in the weather to rust (a naturally occuring process). If the constant "recaster" threads are any indication, we celebrate craftsmanships and creativity, but when it comes down to it...? Have we all become just a bit jaded with our parts indentifications and super accurate parts runs? I long for the days when I first discovered the props community, when there was alot more DIY and alot less dependance on licensed vendors and parts runs.

You know, sometimes I don't understand this place. This is one of the best mostly hardware/metal Obi ANH sabers I've ever seen, and there's very few people commenting. Some threads get more oohs and ahs over a grenade that's been left in the weather to rust (a naturally occuring process). If the constant "recaster" threads are any indication, we celebrate craftsmanships and creativity, but when it comes down to it...? Have we all become just a bit jaded with our parts indentifications and super accurate parts runs? I long for the days when I first discovered the props community, when there was alot more DIY and alot less dependance on licensed vendors and parts runs.

OOH...AHHHH :lol

Very creative use of the found parts, I love this build :thumbsup

markus

Amen. I mean I haven't been around that long - but I too find it a little unsettling that threads with exact machined parts runs log hundreds of posts from many people, and a thread with...like you said, Other than your work, this is one of the best DIY props I've ever seen! gets a number of readers you can count on your hands. It's sad, well as long as we (and the rest of you out there!) keep this tradition alive it'll never die

That being said, I do think It's impressive to find and re-create parts with such exactness, it can just sometimes get carried away

thanks guys. I am done with this for the time being. I made a new stainless clamp and added the very hard to work with transistors. I would like to find a stainless funnel or cone to add to the inside of the emitter. I'd certainly add the correct pommel or clamp if reasonably priced ones came along.

Last edited:
Thanks Kevin. I like your build as well. I like the clean look alot, but decided to make mine look used. Updating my old Vader Graflex ROTJ is next.

I would like to find a stainless funnel or cone to add to the inside of the emitter.

No need to get so elaborate. Since the cone (reflector) appears much shinier than the emitter of the actual prop, there's no reason why you couldn't just use a real one... The reflector from a little flashlight. I've used them on a few of my hardware designs, and it usually looks pretty good.

Yours turned out very well, by the way.

I really am impressed by the neck/windvane portion - made out of scrap piping you say? It actually looks almost spot on to a real grenade, nice work!

Very nice. You sure put a lot of work into this.

You mentioned that you used a hole cutter to make the windvane fins. What I was wondering, have you thought about using the same process to produce the ring underneath the emitter's lip? I'm not talking about the ring with holes, but the ring on the outside of it and should be 1.5" inner diameter. That way, it will be aluminum instead of brass.

On another note have you thought about using a 1.5" brass sink tube to make the windvane cover? They sell these at home depot and hardware stores. They're the right color and size. It just has to be cut to the right length.

Something I wanted to try with this is to dull down a pipe cutter blade and use it to add the indention next to the lip of the wind vane. When I asked a hardware store worker about that, he said the same thing. What I don't know is, is this safe? If other people have attempted this, can you please chime in?

The rest of the brass sink tube wouldn't go to waste either. I've actually managed to fine 1.5" tube flaring tools. All you have to do is flare it on one side and you can make more.

Hammer & Flare Tools

You can find more kinds if you do a search.

Last edited:
Johnlep:
I have thought of using a brass sink tube replace the bearing housing. I have been away from sabres and the RPF for some time. My brother and I are buying a used lathe, but the owner has been sick for months. Some day I will more upgrade. On the back burner for now.

I have not thought about an aluminum ring as you describe. I think that would really hard to make with aluminum

On the pipe: Not sure I can be much help. I found it at a local hardware store that specializes in plumbing, but it would be standard sizes in the US. The smaller pipe has an outer diameter of about 5/8 of an inch, the other is about 7/8 OD. The pipe wall is about 3/16 of an inch thick. Print one of my pics and take it to a hardware store. If you are in the US, you should be able to find it. Are you in the US?

I have thought of using a brass sink tube replace the bearing housing.

I've got one currently in the works. It's the type with a flange. I cut it to the right length (width?) as the bearing housing is a little narrow. I stripped off the chrome plating, bent the flange from 90 degrees to a 45 degree angle, and ground it down to the correct diameter. While it's not accurate to THE windvane sleeve of the prop, I noticed some grenades did not have the groove next to flange.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back