Obi Wan ANH Sabre Emitter build

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by SPY007, Nov 17, 2011.

1. SPY007

SPY007 Well-Known Member

I am upgrading the Obi Wan ANH Sabre that I built in the early 90's when only the pommel and clamp had been ID'd. I re-used the sink ring I found back then. The sink ring was found in a box of junk at a plumbing place and was already old. I could never find the maker. The rest is scrap stainless steel that I recently picked up for little or nothing. I will eventually JB Weld or solder the parts together. I may redo the ring with the holes. Still needs some work.

2. Tan Djarka

Tan Djarka Sr Member

Best hardware emitter ever! How much of the rest of the saber was hardware, and do you have pics?

3. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I agree with Tan, this is incredible! and I have the same questions haha.

right now I have a plate from a door lock and some sink tubing to make up the pipe part...

4. SPY007

SPY007 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, Yes I have other scratch/hardware parts. I will post after the weekend.

5. SPY007

SPY007 Well-Known Member

Re: Obi Wan ANH Sabre Emitter and parts build

Here are some more images. The pommel is a later model sink knob similar to the original prop part. The Booster I made with a PVC connector and 1/4 inch ABS. I ran the ABS through a table saw two times to create triangular strips that I cut down and super glued to the PVC connector. These gear like teeth were then sanded down. Another segment of PVC connecter was added to go into the pommel - that is the unpainted white part. I made the "Graflex" clamp years ago from sheet aluminum and 1/4 square, steel rod.. I Have a real Graflex from which I made a template. The frag part is a resin cast I also bought years ago. It was made by Frank Cernay long before the grenade had been identified. For my upgrade, I dremeled out the front of the grenade and inset a brass washer. The brass stem is made from plumbing tube. I had to ream out the larger tube parts to fit over the smaller one. This saber is still a WIP. I need to figure out the wind vane part before I can trim the pieces and stick it all together.. I may redo the booster and I hope to ad add a real Graflex clamp.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  6. Tan Djarka

Tan Djarka Sr Member

Looks good so far. The solution for the rear grip/gear/slash booster is a good one. I'd considered a similar route myself, but wasn't sure where to get the triangular stock. Duh... Make it!

7. SPY007

SPY007 Well-Known Member

Here are a few more images. The tarnish makes the pluming pipes pieces look like copper. The wind vane ring was made from a bearing. For the fins, I used a 1 and 1/2 inch a hole cutter in a drill press to make a ¼ inch thick aluminum disc. I had to sand the disk down with a table top belt sander a bit to fit in the ring. I then put it in a vice and hand filed out the fins. Took 3 tries. Not perfect, but better that what I had. The sabre is not done. Needs capacitors, some paint, a hole or two drilled in the stem, assembly and weathering. I’d like to see if I can make a better booster and stainless steel clamp.

8. thd9791

hey this is great! I found a bearing for the windvane myself too. What's behind your clamp?

9. TheLipmannToy

TheLipmannToy New Member

Great replica

10. SPY007

SPY007 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. thd9791, not sure what you mean by "what is behind the clamp". I assume you mean what is on the inside? The resin grenade "frag" part extends part way into the clamp. The grenade is a little less than 1 and 1/2 in diameter. I added a ring made from 1 and 1/2 inch sink pipe. I will post a more pics this week

11. thd9791

SPY007,

Actually that's exactly what I was asking, thanks - sorry

12. Tan Djarka

Tan Djarka Sr Member

Looks like it's turning out quite well. The windvane looks especially good.

13. Tan Djarka

Tan Djarka Sr Member

Where? I checked both Lowe's and Home Depot. I know at least one of them used to have them. At least I think that's where I saw 'em.

14. thd9791

I actually found it in a Valu Home Centers (The red and yellow) it was in a plastic cabinet with screws and bolts, they had their own drawers.

15. SPY007

SPY007 Well-Known Member

Here are a number of photos. Hope these help. The PVC connector used for the booster was the exact length needed, But it was a little wider on one end. Used a table sander to get it all even. The fins, or ribs, were cut just under 1/4 inch wide. I marked the connector before super glueing on the ribs to make sure I ended up with 16 fins. I also used a small sanding drum on the underside of the fins, for best glue adhesion. Had made the fins from grey plastic, I could have rubbed off some paint to weather it. I will likely used some silver paint. Still a WIP.

16. thd9791

Wow, SPY007

after weathering, it looks even better! Great build

honestly, I tip my hat for someone who can (for want of a better word) engineer how these fit together. I tend to lose my head when I sit down to figure things like this out.

17. SPY007

SPY007 Well-Known Member

thd9791

A lot of the parts were a second or third try.

18. Tan Djarka

Tan Djarka Sr Member

Thanks. I found a source. I knew I saw them somewhere...

19. thd9791

Tan Djarka: good! :) makes me happy to see a successful find.

And I just found some old tubing from an Obi Wan Ep. 1 style My dad and I made a few years back (I should really post that) and sure enough, it's 1.5 inch tubing and fits snugly inside our second clamp :rolleyes

20. Tan Djarka

Tan Djarka Sr Member

Don't get too happy. I decided to "remove" the bearing to liberate the sleeve I'm actually going to use and... Well, while I didn't destroy it, you wouldn't have wanted to hear all the cussin' and fussin' I did. Man was that a pain in the butt to do. On top of that, it may actually be a little narrow (top to bottom) for the saber I planned to use it on.

21. thd9791

Hahaha all in the name of creativity! no sweat :lol it's still great to find stuff even if you never use it. i found a couple of laptop memory cards that i figured I would use somehow, and they're still sitting downstairs on the workbench.

That being said, I still need to pick up a tool that can cut metal, pvc wood and all that jazz, should I be looking for a dremel or..? (anyone haha)

22. Tan Djarka

Tan Djarka Sr Member

Oh, after all that trouble I'm definitely going to use it, just not on the saber I'd originally intended to. And yes, a Dremel or comparable rotary tool is indispensible for most of the stuff I (we?) do.

23. Tan Djarka

Tan Djarka Sr Member

You know, sometimes I don't understand this place. This is one of the best mostly hardware/metal Obi ANH sabers I've ever seen, and there's very few people commenting. Some threads get more oohs and ahs over a grenade that's been left in the weather to rust (a naturally occuring process). If the constant "recaster" threads are any indication, we celebrate craftsmanships and creativity, but when it comes down to it...? Have we all become just a bit jaded with our parts indentifications and super accurate parts runs? I long for the days when I first discovered the props community, when there was alot more DIY and alot less dependance on licensed vendors and parts runs.

24. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

OOH...AHHHH :lol

Very creative use of the found parts, I love this build :thumbsup

markus

25. thd9791

Amen. I mean I haven't been around that long - but I too find it a little unsettling that threads with exact machined parts runs log hundreds of posts from many people, and a thread with...like you said, Other than your work, this is one of the best DIY props I've ever seen! gets a number of readers you can count on your hands. It's sad, well as long as we (and the rest of you out there!) keep this tradition alive it'll never die

That being said, I do think It's impressive to find and re-create parts with such exactness, it can just sometimes get carried away

26. SPY007

SPY007 Well-Known Member

thanks guys. I am done with this for the time being. I made a new stainless clamp and added the very hard to work with transistors. I would like to find a stainless funnel or cone to add to the inside of the emitter. I'd certainly add the correct pommel or clamp if reasonably priced ones came along.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  27. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great job!

28. SPY007

SPY007 Well-Known Member

Thanks Kevin. I like your build as well. I like the clean look alot, but decided to make mine look used. Updating my old Vader Graflex ROTJ is next.

29. Tan Djarka

Tan Djarka Sr Member

No need to get so elaborate. Since the cone (reflector) appears much shinier than the emitter of the actual prop, there's no reason why you couldn't just use a real one... The reflector from a little flashlight. I've used them on a few of my hardware designs, and it usually looks pretty good.

Yours turned out very well, by the way.

30. wristracer

wristracer New Member

Sweet, very very impressive

31. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

This is a really impressive build. Congratulations. :thumbsup

32. thd9791

I really am impressed by the neck/windvane portion - made out of scrap piping you say? It actually looks almost spot on to a real grenade, nice work!

33. Johnlep

Johnlep New Member

Very nice. You sure put a lot of work into this.

You mentioned that you used a hole cutter to make the windvane fins. What I was wondering, have you thought about using the same process to produce the ring underneath the emitter's lip? I'm not talking about the ring with holes, but the ring on the outside of it and should be 1.5" inner diameter. That way, it will be aluminum instead of brass.

On another note have you thought about using a 1.5" brass sink tube to make the windvane cover? They sell these at home depot and hardware stores. They're the right color and size. It just has to be cut to the right length.

Something I wanted to try with this is to dull down a pipe cutter blade and use it to add the indention next to the lip of the wind vane. When I asked a hardware store worker about that, he said the same thing. What I don't know is, is this safe? If other people have attempted this, can you please chime in?

The rest of the brass sink tube wouldn't go to waste either. I've actually managed to fine 1.5" tube flaring tools. All you have to do is flare it on one side and you can make more.

Hammer & Flare Tools

You can find more kinds if you do a search.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  34. SPY007

SPY007 Well-Known Member

Johnlep:
    I have thought of using a brass sink tube replace the bearing housing. I have been away from sabres and the RPF for some time. My brother and I are buying a used lathe, but the owner has been sick for months. Some day I will more upgrade. On the back burner for now.

I have not thought about an aluminum ring as you describe. I think that would really hard to make with aluminum

On the pipe: Not sure I can be much help. I found it at a local hardware store that specializes in plumbing, but it would be standard sizes in the US. The smaller pipe has an outer diameter of about 5/8 of an inch, the other is about 7/8 OD. The pipe wall is about 3/16 of an inch thick. Print one of my pics and take it to a hardware store. If you are in the US, you should be able to find it. Are you in the US?

35. Johnlep

Johnlep New Member

Is aluminum hard to cut with the hole cutter?

36. spidersolo

spidersolo Active Member

Awesome build, very innovative. It looks very very good1

37. ecl

ecl Sr Member

Looks seriously awesome.

38. Tan Djarka

Tan Djarka Sr Member

I've got one currently in the works. It's the type with a flange. I cut it to the right length (width?) as the bearing housing is a little narrow. I stripped off the chrome plating, bent the flange from 90 degrees to a 45 degree angle, and ground it down to the correct diameter. While it's not accurate to THE windvane sleeve of the prop, I noticed some grenades did not have the groove next to flange.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013