Obi-Wan ANH Saber--in progress

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by superjedi, Jul 1, 2006.

1. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

Hi all,
    I've been a long time blaster builder, but have never tried my hand at sabers. Last fall I had to sell my MR Obi weathered, and I've wanted to replace it ever since. So I figured I'd make my own. :)
    I'm still in the "part-gathering" phase of this project, but I recently got a Mk III from Roman, and have just finished the weathering process.

Am I on the right track with this? It was fun.
    Eric

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Snoballz

Snoballz Well-Known Member

Looks pretty good so far. Is that Brass Black on the stem?

3. Duck9000

Duck9000 Well-Known Member

Nice job on that granade. Its looks really weathered :)

4. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

Thanks.
    Snoballz, it isn't Brass Black, but I guess it's a similar chemical. It's called "Blacken-It." I got it at my local hobby shop, where they sell a lot of model railroading stuff.

5. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking good Eric, but the red on the grooves of the grenade looks a bit too bright IMO.

Might just be the bacause of the flash/ the way the pic was taken...

Can´t wait to see your saber finished :D

Markus

6. JunkSabers1138

JunkSabers1138 Sr Member

I like the weathering job you did. It looks very much like MR's grenade finish.

To me anyway.

7. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

Thanks.
    And Markus, the pictures show the rust more "orangey" than it really is.

8. JunkSabers1138

JunkSabers1138 Sr Member

I'll tell ya man. I've yet to see and Obi weathered that sells for under $500 on ebay. I guess it's just cheaper to buy accurate Romans parts rather than... oh 75%-80% accurate MR version and waste money.

9. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(JunkSabers1138 @ Jul 7 2006, 01:38 PM) [snapback]1276189[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I have a "prop budget", so it's a somewhat lengthy process gathering all the parts.
    But once it's done, I'm sure I'll be happier with it than with the MR.

10. JunkSabers1138

JunkSabers1138 Sr Member

Or you could totally scratch build like I did and use that as your saber until you get all the parts. I built an Obi ROTS/ANH style hilt completely out of junk lying around in my grandparents basement, hence the screen name. I then devised a lentghly fan fic that is still a WIP and one of the characters, Daryn Starkiller (based on myself) will have this saber as his own. It looks pretty cool and all my older friends and Star Wars fans who were there when SW started said I could've gotten away with it had I been around at the time and gave it to Lucas for use in ANH. I also have a scratch built Dooku that's still WIP. I'll try to post pics soon.

11. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Weathering looks great .

12. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice weathering job there, superjedi. Is that an aluminum frag body? It looks like steel. :thumbsup

JunkSabers1138: You will find that many people on this forum build sabers out of what other people call "junk". I have seen a few "hardware" sabers (not made from machined replica parts) that could rival even MR's. :)
    Don't hesitate to show off yours in your own thread/s. I am looking forward to seeing your Dooku saber.

13. JunkSabers1138

JunkSabers1138 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Darth Lars @ Jul 7 2006, 04:26 PM) [snapback]1276235[/snapback]</div>

Well the parts were collecting dust in the basement and some of the parts aren't available anymore. What is the difference between "junk" and "hardware"? I think these sabers could fall into both catagories.

14. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Darth Lars @ Jul 7 2006, 02:26 PM) [snapback]1276235[/snapback]</div>
    DL, yeah it's aluminum. I kind of hoped it would come out looking like steel. ;)

15. Sporak

Sporak Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

I have found this particular saber to be the most rewarding build there is...
    Obviously my favorite...each is a little different...but all very cool.

16. lesternessman

lesternessman Well-Known Member

looks like steel alright, nice job. I actually like the orange in the grooves, but its coming along just fine. Nice start..

17. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

UPDATE: July 11th.
    Hmm. . . I kept looking at my rust paintjob and decided I wanted to tone it down a bit. A couple of recent members posted some pics of real grenades, and they didn't look nearly as rusty as I had made mine. :)
    So I went back with some of the base metal color that came with my rusting kit and thinned it waaaaay down and sprayed it all over the frag body. I blotted it a bit, and after it was dry, I went back with a small sponge and used this to "drybrush" some contrasting gun metal to all the outer surfaces.
    I'm happier with it now. :thumbsup

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. JunkSabers1138

JunkSabers1138 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(superjedi @ Jul 11 2006, 07:15 PM) [snapback]1278965[/snapback]</div>
    As am I :D . Good job.

19. OdiWan72

perfect.... :thumbsup

Markus

20. JunkSabers1138

JunkSabers1138 Sr Member

I really do love that new weathering job. Reminds me of the real prop :) . Not BLACK black like some folks say... but not SUPER RUSTY brown/orange/red like others say either. IT'S PERFECT... It's even got those little notches on the top "ring" like in some prop photos.

21. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

Thanks guys.
    :)
    Roman makes a great product. And any good replica needs a good base to start from.

22. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

UPDATE: July 30th.

Got some more parts in recently, and did some more weathering/assembly. My new parts are: RE chromed pommel, 'pre-weathered' booster, and clamp spacer. I also got an RE Graflex clamp from someone else here on the board. The bubble strip is from BlastTech.
    The pommel was easy. Just put it into a baggie with some sharp gravel and shook it around for a few minutes. :) Then I added some deeper scratches and corner wear with a metal file.
    The booster is just as it arrived. I sprayed a clear coat over it to prevent any of the aluminum black from rubbing off though.
    The clamp was 'scratched' with some very find sandpaper, then burned with a lighter. I got it nice and charred, then rinsed it under water, removing most of the char but leaving some discolored parts. I repeated this a couple of times, then stippled some of the darker burn marks with an old toothbrush to get it more uneven looking.
    Anyway, the only piece I need now is an emitter. Anybody got one laying around?? ;)
    Oh yeah, the hand that appears in the pics is original..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. JunkSabers1138

JunkSabers1138 Sr Member

AWESOME..... Too bad there's only one of these in the world because I want one JUST like yours. Oh well. Great job BTW :) .

24. lesternessman

lesternessman Well-Known Member

that does look great. It seems like there was an emitter on ebay not to long ago, Roman's that is. I really like what you've done. thumbs up...

25. OdiWan72

Nothing else to say...

"GREAT WORK" :thumbsup

Markus