Obi grenade

Originally posted by Avalon X+Jan 20 2006, 07:50 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Avalon X @ Jan 20 2006, 07:50 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-franz bolo
@Jan 21 2006, 12:42 AM
Didn't the Gavidoc emitter have that type of piece?

FB
[snapback]1164128[/snapback]​

Not sure about that, but I do know that was on the real prop (shown in the Chronicles pic). It was detached from the end of the rod that screwed into the end of the grenade. It essentially holds the emitter in place....
[snapback]1164137[/snapback]​
[/b]

Can we see pics of this? Last I had heard all the Obi experts were still in a toss up as to what was in there.

I got this image somewhere. Is this the same type of piece?

AngHls1.JPG

If the owner doesn't want it up I'll take it down.

FB

Originally posted by Dewy+Jan 21 2006, 01:25 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dewy @ Jan 21 2006, 01:25 AM)</div>
Originally posted by Avalon X@Jan 20 2006, 07:50 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-franz bolo
@Jan 21 2006, 12:42 AM
Didn't the Gavidoc emitter have that type of piece?

FB
[snapback]1164128[/snapback]​

Not sure about that, but I do know that was on the real prop (shown in the Chronicles pic). It was detached from the end of the rod that screwed into the end of the grenade. It essentially holds the emitter in place....
[snapback]1164137[/snapback]​

Can we see pics of this? Last I had heard all the Obi experts were still in a toss up as to what was in there.
[snapback]1164160[/snapback]​
[/b]

My bad, I thought this was totally confirmed.

I looked at pics I have, and I could have sworn someone here lightened the Chronicles pic to the degree that you could see in the emitter, but I don't have it. Maybe someone else does.

Anyway, it seems logical that this would be inside the emitter, since the Derwent piece is hollow like a bell. This piece I am seeking pins it to the end of the grenade with male/female threaded parts.

Originally posted by franz bolo@Jan 20 2006, 09:35 PM
I got this image somewhere. Is this the same type of piece?

AngHls1.JPG

FB
[snapback]1164162[/snapback]​

that's a pic of Roman's emitter..

Here's a better look at the piece in question, on an original grenade:

grenadepart8gn.jpg

But IMO there is no evidence that that piece was inside the emitter in the Chronicles pic, and screen caps show that it was definitely NOT in the emitter during certain parts of production.

There was once a theory put forward about some blobs matching hole positions, but in fact they don't match the right hole positions if you test it out photographically, and other features contradict the idea as well. If I can dig up my relevant pics I will post one.

Anyway, this piece is super easy to make, any amateur with a lathe can do one for you, or if you're clever with a drill press and have a pretty sturdy one you can make one yourself.

Ah, here's one. The red line points out that the grey 'blob' (sometimes taken to be 'solder' such as sometimes appears on the 'barrel clip base') actually continues way beyond the place where the clip base would be, and could easily be an angled streak on the inside of a hollow cylinder.

dsadj3qline1ve.jpg

Here's an analysis of this issue I did before we had screen caps from the DVDs. Elipses (circles in perspective) with their centers marked are used to show approximate positions along the length of the saber of various features. Despite the rough nature of the analysis, the 'hole' feature inside the emitter is clearly deep in the emitter:

emitterinnerholeweb5zv.jpg

Documentary footage shows Alec Guinness holding the prop right before a prop man switches it for a bladed stunt for this scene where he turns on the saber, so this is the hero prop.

Originally posted by Avalon X@Jan 21 2006, 12:15 AM
Wow this is all news to me, thanks for this info guys.
[snapback]1164286[/snapback]​

With the speed that all the discoveries were/are being made it's pretty hard to keep up. :) I know I got seriously lost when the derwent discovery came up.

Thanks Serafino, I had never seen the photographic evidence and I too thought it would make sense to have that piece in there, but I guess now we more or less know.

Originally posted by franz bolo@Jan 21 2006, 01:35 AM

AngHls1.JPG

[snapback]1164162[/snapback]​

I don't mind.

But if these are floating around out there in cyberspace, maybe I should watermark them so people know where they come from... ;)

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back