Obi emitter question

Johnleprekan

Hi. I've been gone a long time so I don't know all the details about the found Obi ANH parts. The archive section was the first place I went to. The emitter thread had 36 pages. Could someone please fill me in on whether the part in the thread is the right one? Information on the "gear" would be helpful too.

Thanks.

mmmmmmmmm yes. If we only had an UPDATED list of found items that were used in Star Wars. (My sarcasm says i feel your pain sometimes)

Well as far as a summary, the only thing to do is start writing one. How about we draft it here and then maybe put it into a new thread and ask for it to be archived? Maybe one thread with the handwheel, emitter, and gear stories all included? Although really the handwheel story is pretty short: "Many knew what it was, many tried to find one, but Howard, through unbelievable dedication and imaginative research was the first to track one down and publicly show it off." :)

The emitter story goes like this:

Once upon a time, long long ago (well last year anyway...), no one knew what the Obi ANH emitter was. Some people thought it might be some kind of burner assembly, others thought it might be a composite of multiple pieces, good research had been done into sprinkler heads, and others were still searching inexplicably for sink drains. ;)

RPF member Blaxmyth was researching the Derwent Mk 8 jet engine that ESB assasin droid IG-88's head came from (who made that discovery?), when he came upon an illustration showing what looked like a possible emitter shape. Blaxmyth had actually posted this idea before in another thread but no one picked up on it.

Peope got excited and started to find other illustrations of the part. Analysis and renders were shown and debated. The general consensus was that the part (officially termed a 'balance pipe') in the illustrations of the Mk 8 engine was the emitter. Confirmations were received from aeronautical contacts, and then Chris Trevas (lonepigeon) posted the first pictures we'd ever seen of an actual interconnect and everyone swooned.

Although most people were utterly convinced, speculation continued about possible discrepancies between the part in the photo and the prop, and about details in how the balance pipe was constructed and what it was made of. Chris' UK contact researched the question and Chris posted updates. We learned that there are different models of balance pipe for different levels of modification in the engines, and that there are two sizes used in any given engine.

Then Chris posted the news that the 'mate' to the balance pipe initially pictured was an even better match to the prop emitter, and then posted the first picture ever seen of the correct balance pipe which was used on the Obi ANH lightsaber, which is worth seeing again, I hope he (and the RPF) don't mind:

obi_emit_rearquarter1.jpg

Then I got lucky thanks in part to Chris' principled behavior, and my early information source ended up selling me a balance pipe. The discussion continued about other ways airplane parts were used in the SW movies, and then Killdozer posted a pic of a couple of machine guns with Obi 'gears' on the ends of them and all heck broke lose. :)

<div class='quotetop'>(Serafino @ Jul 25 2006, 05:05 AM) [snapback]1287146[/snapback]</div>
RPF member Blaxmyth was researching the Derwent Mk 8 jet engine that ESB assasin droid IG-88's head came from (who made that discovery?)[/b]

Gary Weaver pretty much nailed the Derwent discovery although I was the one that dug into his theory more and confirmed it. It was that research that eventually led me to my museum contact who luckiy happened to be a SW fan.

Roman I was getting at, what lonepigeon got and responed to.

lonepigeon, you don't know how happy that makes me to hear that news. I never have e-bay open with out Parts of Star Wars open

<div class='quotetop'>(Serafino @ Jul 25 2006, 01:05 AM) [snapback]1287146[/snapback]</div>
Killdozer posted a pic of a couple of machine guns with Obi 'gears' on the ends of them and all heck broke lose. :)
[/b]

Yeah, I have that effect... :lol

I stumbled across some photos of Lancaster bombers, which showed these machine guns. Some digging revealed that they were Browning ANM2s (Army/Navy M2s), British .303 calibre. I could only find small photos. Someone else found a goldmine of info afterward.

I'm surprised that ATL Kenobi's transistor theory has not caused more discussion. I think he's right on.

KD

<div class='quotetop'>(lonepigeon @ Jul 24 2006, 11:10 PM) [snapback]1287131[/snapback]</div>
For a pretty good list:
www.partsofsw.com

Yeah , yeah I hear you on the "UPDATED" comment.
There are things in the works.
When PoSW finally gets updated the layout and site code will be all new.
[/b]
OH YEAH.. Me and my SW buddies have been waiting for this for a LONG TIME :D . Good to hear about his.

<div class='quotetop'>(Johnleprekan @ Jul 25 2006, 07:09 AM) [snapback]1287191[/snapback]</div>
No need to be rude. I used the search feature earlier. I typed updated parts and came up with squat.
[/b]

First off, I wasn't commenting to you John... as I quoted and replied to "darthmagpie".
Second, my use of the smiley emotes should have told you I was being playful with him.

:p = playful

<div class='quotetop'>(JunkSabers1138 @ Jul 25 2006, 05:08 PM) [snapback]1287485[/snapback]</div>
ATL says his transistors were of two different models. Although I can't personaly see it, is there any change in terms of size between the two?
[/b]

This may be referring to the different stamps on the top. One has thicker lettering than the other. Mine are also like that, but I got them from the same package :confused

Transistors.jpg

I'm glad to see that people are finally coming around on the transistors :thumbsup.

I remember many (many) months ago when I started a thread about the transistors. People insisted they were stamped N2 no matter how many ways I showed that it really looked like a messed up motorola marking.

I'm just glad I'm not alone in my thinking :)

-Fred

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back