NYTF '20: NECA reveals several Batman replicas

Synz314

Sr Member
At their booth at NYTF, NECA had a slew of Batman props to show off. Mostly from Batman 89 and The Animated Series. There's also Nightwing's batons from Arkham Knight and the Kryptonite from Donner's Superman.

img_7336.jpgimg_7335.jpgimg_7334.jpgimg_7333.jpgimg_7332.jpg

The Nightwing Escrima sticks is a prop I have always wanted to tackle (along with some DareDevil batons)....

Are they supposed to 'extend' like that normally? (I never knew that)..

The gauntlet has never been high on my list but if NECA puts out an affordable version I will definitely pick it up. And it's interesting to see the speargun. There isn't much available between an expensive SD Studios one or the cheap 3D printed kits.

I talked to NECA about the replicas. I sent them pics of the real speargun and batarang. They told me they could only use what the licensor provided.

Essentially WB doesn’t know what they have. The batarang and gun are both bastardized NECA versions of the 90’s SD Studios stuff. Just like the Toynami gun and the HCG Batarangs. The gun is different in places, yeah. But that plate over the reel is an exact copy of the SD V1 gun, as is the main cog in the middle. The tip above the barrel, etc.

These are definitely play and cosplay worthy. But not for proper prop display. The gauntlet might be the one exception.

As far as guns go, get in on Valor’s run. It’s by far the most accurate. Blows the SD v2 out of the park. And for an accurate batarang go for Stacey Props.

NECA shared this on Instagram the other day. It's being released this month.

Screenshot_20210206-134030.jpg

It actually folds!! That's awesome. Wasn't that interested when I thought it was solid resin, but may have to get it now.

Apparently it's only $15. This article has a bunch more pictures of it. It includes a really cheap looking display stand.

NECA-Batarang-004.jpgNECA-Batarang-010.jpgNECA-Batarang-016.jpg

Video review:

Last edited:
Looks like poop. Highly inaccurate and just a copy of the SD Studios cut into 4. I'll get a few for the kids to throw around. Will definitely use a stand for this!
received_225233082330135.jpeg

Last edited:
I've seen a few video reviews of the NECA rang. I'm astonished at the price. I think it's a great substitution for bat bros who suit up and don't want to risk ruining their Stacey Props rang. I have a Stacey Props and will likely get one a NECA just so guests who check out my collection don't F up my pricier version. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the line. Who knows, if it's successful, maybe they'll expand it to other props. It would be amazing to see an affordable Riddler cane. I guess anything is more affordable than mine. :p

Nightwing Returns - as I learn more about this prop, I would like to understand the issues with the NECA batarang. Is it primarily the visible hinges? I actually like the sharper end points, as they appear more blade like. I'm not sure if that detail is true to the prop, but it does look like it would stick into a wall if thrown properly. Some of the other props I have seen have heavier/thicker end points that don't resemble blades at all (other than being painted metal), but maybe that is more true to the prop? I'm thinking with a little work the NECA could be made presentable, but I'm curious to better understand what my untrained eye is missing.

Nightwing Returns - as I learn more about this prop, I would like to understand the issues with the NECA batarang. Is it primarily the visible hinges? I actually like the sharper end points, as they appear more blade like. I'm not sure if that detail is true to the prop, but it does look like it would stick into a wall if thrown properly. Some of the other props I have seen have heavier/thicker end points that don't resemble blades at all (other than being painted metal), but maybe that is more true to the prop? I'm thinking with a little work the NECA could be made presentable, but I'm curious to better understand what my untrained eye is missing.
These lines are supposed to be inverted, not raised (excuse my poor finger drawing):
Capture+_2021-02-09-07-29-52.png

This as a crude recast of the SD Studios that's been floating around since the late 90's:

downloadfile.jpg

This is the HCG SD double sided recast:

3ffb3cec0b214cb5804791aaf5315a9blg.png

Then we have NECA's:

NECA-Batarang-018-928x483.jpg

You can see in Nick Daring's post above that there's a difference between the original prop and the replicas. Shape, details, length of the arms, etc. It's just sad NECA didn't do any research and instead opted to copy a fan made replica.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back