NX-01 HFrisket issues

bwise

Hi folks,

I'm having some problems with the airbrush frisket paper I'm using to mask my panels for the Aztec pattern on Polar Lights NX-01. After laboriously cutting out the pattern for the primary hull, I painted a layer od steel modelmaster enamel over my protected base coat of aluminum model master enamel. I waited about 15 minutes then peeled off the friusket paper. The panels looked great except wherever the frisket had been in contact with the aluminum coat it had left a residue, slightly tacky and defintely visible.

This is very discouraging and I don't know what might remove the residue without damaging the paint. Short of that I'm not sure what to use as a frisket when I inevitably start over. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Thanks

Bill
:cry

Are you using Testor's Metalizers? If so, there is your problem. The instructions say to mask with wet paper only, no adhesive backed masks. Otherwise, I have no clue.

I am not using Testor's metalizers, I'm using Model Master Aluminium and Steel enamel. Even with Blue painters masking tape it pulls up the paint which ruins the smoothness of the finish. I have used masking tape many times to mask models painted with enamel and never had this problem so I'm assuming it's the metallic paint that is the cause. I'm thinking of trying doing a layer of clear coate between paint layers to protect/seal in the metal paint.

Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Bill

:confused

Let the first coat of paint dry for a week to make sure it's as hard as possible before masking and painting

when I've worked with metal colors in the past, if they weren't sufficiently dry they always seemed more likely to peel off when removing masking

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back