Now you can finally buy an Academy Award

Yes, Oscar statues are definitely for sale, as evidenced by the curious occurance of the Academy presenting a Lifetime Achievement Oscar to...Oprah Winfrey??? James Earl Jones deserved it. Dick Smith UNQUESTIONABLY deserved it. But Oprah??? She's a talk show host. She won her Oscar for "The Color Purple" and has spent every role since trying to recapture that glory. What exactly has she done for the movie industry to deserve a Lifetime Achievement award???? Seeing her standing alongside those two legendary film industry figures frankly just made me sick.

Yeah my mom was yelling at the screen when Oprah got it. Look at the tribute for the folks who died: Steve Jobs was listed and he didn't' do squat for the movies other than work with Pixar. The Oscars are a joke where they pat each other on the back where films nobody heard of from europe or sob story documentaries win.

I thought this was going to be about Harvey Weinstein. Now there's someone who has truly bought Oscars.

Oh, and Oprah received an honorary Oscar for her philanthropic work. You're really going to ***** about that? And if you are, at least get the facts right.

I thought this was going to be about Harvey Weinstein. Now there's someone who has truly bought Oscars.

Oh, and Oprah received an honorary Oscar for her philanthropic work. You're really going to ***** about that? And if you are, at least get the facts right.

I think we all know the real reason Oprah got that Oscar. Ever since they let Letterman host, they've felt guilty and wanted to make it up to her.

They couldn't give out two awards, so they gave Uma a baby. When she gives birth to it, it'll be all gold and shiny and bald.

Actually yes, I AM going to ***** about it. She a gazillionaire, it's easy for her to do philanthropic and humanitarian work, all she has to do is hire people to do it for her and write checks out to causes and then stand up there and accept the award and praise for it. And if she were truly as righteous as she wants people to believe she would have turned the award down. I'm sorry but the Jean Hersholt "Humanitarian" award is a joke. Oprah basically bought herself another moment of recognition at the Oscars in an attempt to recapture her past "Color Purple" glory, since she's been unable to do it as a legitimate actress.

Why would she need to "recapture" something she never got?

Check your facts.

The Color Purple was NOMINATED for eleven Oscars, it won ZERO.

NOW maybe you understand why she wielded her power to get a statue.

The super rich are weird that way.

Last edited:
Damn, I could have sworn she won it. I even watched the Oscars that year. Okay, my mistake, Mic. But my claim that she's been trying recapture that past glory still stands, even if it was the glory of simply having been nominated, she's been coasting on that for decades now. Gag!

Actually yes, I AM going to ***** about it. She a gazillionaire, it's easy for her to do philanthropic and humanitarian work, all she has to do is hire people to do it for her and write checks out to causes and then stand up there and accept the award and praise for it. And if she were truly as righteous as she wants people to believe she would have turned the award down. I'm sorry but the Jean Hersholt "Humanitarian" award is a joke. Oprah basically bought herself another moment of recognition at the Oscars in an attempt to recapture her past "Color Purple" glory, since she's been unable to do it as a legitimate actress.

Umm, wasn't it a humanitarian award?

Still, I can see the point, she's been in what? Only a handful of movies?

Remember that Queen Oprah [in her mind] also has tried - and succeeded - in 'buying love' of her sycophant audience by giving them all FREE CARS just for coming to one of her shows [I half expected her to do a Sally Field "you like me" on her show that day it was so disgusting]...she's a blatant Pander Bear who is happy to trade a tiny percentage of her vast $,$$$,$$$,$$$ fortune for affirmations, accolades and ego-stroking [only an egomaniac narcissist would actually have the shamelessness to name a national magazine for herself].

I don't fault true philanthropy but she's hardly 'giving til it HURTS' she's buying affection for what to her is chump change but we don't have to be chumps and fall for it like the Academy Awards seems to have.

The Academy Awards wreak with irony

1) They are PURELY politically given out. If you think it is based on talent, then you are mistaken. If want that, watch the SAG awards.
2) The Academy doesn't want you to be able to buy one, yet they give them out to anyone who has a heart beat that brings them ratings

Anyone else have anything to add?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back