Now that's a Knife - My Crocodile Dundee replica

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Vitriol, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Vitriol

Vitriol Member

Hello all,
    This is my first thread so please be gentle.
    I've always been a fan of the Crocodile Dundee movies.. Well the first two anyways and I've always loved his knife, probably the former Marine in me.
    Anyway I found a replica of the knife used in the first two movies. It's not a show piece either it's a practical knife. It comes with a leather sheath (not from the movie but ok) and the sharpening steel used in the second movie.
    It's stats are as follows;
    Overall length: 16”
    Blade length 11”
    Blade thickness: 6mm
    Weight 800 g / 28.2 oz
    Material: 440C dual heat treated (edge 58-59 RC / back 45-46 RC)
    Solid brass guard and pommel, ebony & leather handle.

So here it is, brought to the world by Down Under Knives.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cavx

cavx Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cool. May I ask where you acquired that?
    I have replica (not Jimmy Lile) RAMBO FIRST BLOOD, RAMBO FIRST BLOOD PART II and RAMBO III knives all with a certificate.

3. GeordieIndy

GeordieIndy Well-Known Member

4. Vitriol

Vitriol Member

5. Vitriol

Vitriol Member

Andy,

Nice!! That's probably closer to screen used than mine is actually.

6. GeordieIndy

I think the knife in that photo is one of the screen used knives...

7. cavx

Good find either way. Andy's is probably a little more accurate.

8. Asp9mm

Asp9mm Well-Known Member

That's because the one in Andy's link IS a screen used knife.

The Down Under Outback is a very well made knife designed for use and not display like most movie replicas. The sheath does let it down slightly as it doesn't match the construction and manufacturing detail of the knife.

9. cavx

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but here is a knife [top] I'd like to get my hands on
    [​IMG]
    ...well until I learned it is about $4500!

10. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah man!

Shes a keeper!!

11. Apollo

$ 4500.00 and you would never get your knife.

Stay far far far away from Jack!

12. cavx

Really? So how much for the real deal? And to think back in 1994 I owned a Chinese copy. The blade was close [mean looking], but I gave the thing away because I despised the handle which was mostly brass.

13. Apollo

Real deal?

Jack is the real deal he is the one who made that knife.

I have a Predator machete and battle baton in my collection that he made for me before he started being a thief.

The only way to get those knives is to look on the secondary market and people tend to hold on to those

14. Vitriol

Vitriol Member

Well Andy's being screen used is probably why his is more accurate.

And the sheath is a bit of a let down sadly. So is not having been mugged yet so I can actually pull it out and use the line that goes with it. Although being 6'2 245lbs it's unlikely I'll be mugged anytime soon.....dang it.

15. GeordieIndy

Yeah, who needs a knife....:lol

Where as me, just under 6' and about 145lb. I think the muggers would like to take a chance...

Andy

16. irishamericanlad

irishamericanlad Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

17. Adam C.

Adam C. Well-Known Member

Congrats man. It's beautiful. I've been wanting to get one of these knives for quite a while now, but it always seems like there's just one more prop that I ''have'' to acquire before I'm actually able to get around to buying one. :lol From all of the research that I've done, this is about as close as you can get to a Crocodile Dundee knife without having one custom made, and they definitely look like they're built to last! (Here are some pictures that I had saved on my computer from the manufacturer.) Thanks for the review Vitriol! :thumbsup

View attachment 90235 View attachment 90236 View attachment 90237 View attachment 90239 View attachment 90238

18. Apollo

I was talking about the Jack crain knives from predator

19. Vitriol

Vitriol Member

Thanks Adam c.

I haven't put the knife through the paces yet but I plan on it and if the review video on YouTube has anything to say about this knife then it's going to withstand anything I can do to it. Just for example they go through 3" of fresh wood in about 12 seconds. A grown man stands on the blade while another stands on the tang without the knife even thinking of bending. It's definitely a very close replica of the Crocodile Dundee knife in looks.

20. irishamericanlad

irishamericanlad Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

(I was talking about the Jack crain knives from predator)

ah then good lol

21. Raven1973

Raven1973 Well-Known Member

22. cavx

23. Simpson77

Simpson77 Well-Known Member

Yip, I just got one of those Downunder Outback Bowie knives today. This knive has a nice heft to it and feels very well built. The blade is mirror pollished and very sharp. I'm very happy with my one.

24. Raven1973

Shame the sheath is synthetic croc skin though.

25. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

Stunning recreation of the croc knife!

Rich

26. Sloth

Sloth Member

Very nice knife!! Here is a pic of my Buck 120 I recently acquired, which is the knife that GhostFace uses is based off... The other items are also Scream related; voice changer from Scream 1, cellphone from Scream 4 and Fun World mask. I should have also put my PES robe in there as well lol

[​IMG]

27. Eblackmore

Eblackmore New Member

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  28. Raven1973

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  29. Propulse

Propulse Member

Have any of you gentlemen met Paul Hogan by any chance?

30. Eblackmore

Eblackmore New Member

Id like to someday, he seems like a pretty laid back guy.

31. Eblackmore

Eblackmore New Member

Heres one I made thats closer to screen accurate. Sheath is crocodile hide and veg tanned leather. dun1.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  32. badasswitablade

badasswitablade New Member

Hello,

I also have The Outback Bowie from Down Under Knives, and you are right as rain! It is badass, high quality, and just about as good as a handmade one. I also have about 4 different high end handmade sheaths for my Outback Bowie knife. They are of incredible quality! Of course, a guy only needs one sheath, LOL! I also just got my handmade First Blood knife and it is Screen Accurate except that the pommel has no compass! But everything else is screen accurate. I also have a Savage handmade sheath for it as well. I am working on finding a stainless steel pommel with compass for it. But I tell you, it's one badass handmade FB knife. And it is just about the best quality one that I've found!! Blow's all others out of this world as far as high attention to detail and quality work! Just my personal opinion though!

And I am trying to find someone (Not Savage) to make a new sheath for it. I think I've found someone that can make me one! Will be wheeling and dealing, LOL!

33. 80s HardcoreFan

80s HardcoreFan New Member

where did you got this photo ?

Theses crain knives are almost impossible to find

expect to pay over $8,000.00 for the LS1 alone

34. yt

yt Sr Member

I finally found a good deal on one of these and picked it up.

35. badasswitablade

badasswitablade New Member

I bought one of these big badass Outback Bowie knives and love it!! I just took mine yesterday and had the blade professionally bead blasted. I do Not like that shiny blade coating on knives. It just scratches so darn easy!! I guess bead blasting scratches too. But I believe a knife blade should either have that Matte finish, which is what bead blasting does, or it should have a Black blade, especially a Bowie or fighter or survival knife!!

First Outback Bowie knife I received just would not take an edge whenever I tried to resharpen it. I even had the knife for over 8 solid months, more like a year and half. I actually just shelved it. Then I remembered that it had a 5 yr or lifetime warranty on it. I contacted the original seller of it but they wouldn't honor the warranty by replacing it. So I then contacted a totally diff store that I never even done business with.

They were so kind, and in just a couple of days they had contacted the maker of the knife on my behalf. Then next thing I knew, Down Under authorized a store her ein the US to send me out a replacement Outback Bowie knife right away.

I received the brand new replacement one, new sheath and all, and sent back the defective one I had right away. Since I have had the new one, have had no problems whatsoever with resharpening it. It's great and stays razor sharp. I also have several handmade leather sheaths for my Outback Bowie knife. I just love the knife too. Not really my style of knife that i favor, as I mainly favor the Rambo style survival knives and the like. Still, just couldn't resist the chance at having this big, bold, badass Crocodile Dundee knife. Definitely the closest thing to owning the real thing!

I haver heard and read so much negativity about the knife maker Jack Crain. It is an awful shame that, providing those negative rumors are true, he chose to runi such the great knife making name that he had!! A real shame. But I have ben messed over by alleged knife makers before who just took my money and ran. This just made me become smarter and less trusting.

36. Propulse

Propulse Member

Anyone else have something similar to the crocodile Dundee bowie?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  37. Eblackmore

Eblackmore New Member

Blades forged out of 1075, handle is wood with kangaroo leather braided overlay.
    12170304_10205246964468799_1021169882_n.jpg

SpaceCrawler likes this.
  38. Raven1973

Here are mine :D

First Blood

ktatt.jpg

Rambo First Blood part 2

ktatt2.jpg

Predator machete

ktatt3.jpg

Rambo 3 Bowie