Not costume related but hope you can help

Tam

I am trying to cast a fire damaged cast done in plaster of Paris. It is of a baby's hand, the last keepsake my friend has of her son who passed two days later. I've cleaned the plaster using a white eraser and cotton swabs.

Now I would like to make a mold of the hand and the base so that I can cast it in epoxy for her and her former husband. What is the best material to use for this that won't damage the original plaster, and do I need q release agent to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Duncanator

Sr Member
I am trying to cast a fire damaged cast done in plaster of Paris. It is of a baby's hand, the last keepsake my friend has of her son who passed two days later. I've cleaned the plaster using a white eraser and cotton swabs.

Now I would like to make a mold of the hand and the base so that I can cast it in epoxy for her and her former husband. What is the best material to use for this that won't damage the original plaster, and do I need q release agent to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would recommend using silicone to make a mold of the plaster handprint. Silicone will pick up the finest details, doesn't need a mold release on most materials, and will allow you to cast the copies out of whatever you want - epoxy, urethane, polyester, plaster, etc...

Smooth-On makes a broad line of silicones. I like their Mold Max 30.
Smooth-On's website has some good info if you've never made molds before.

clonesix

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I agree with above, but want more info on "fire damaged." What is fire damaged for a plaster hand? A picture would help. Is it charred? Cracked? intact, but want a 2nd copy for husband?

If everything is intact, and no repairs are needed, the advice above will do.

If repairs are needed, there are a few extra steps and a photo would help.

Tam

I agree with above, but want more info on "fire damaged." What is fire damaged for a plaster hand? A picture would help. Is it charred? Cracked? intact, but want a 2nd copy for husband?

If everything is intact, and no repairs are needed, the advice above will do.

If repairs are needed, there are a few extra steps and a photo would help.
It's just smoke damaged. I thought I had a picture of it, and no, I don't. I've put it up for the day and don't want to get it out again because it's fairly fragile and I'm a klutz. Thank you both for the info.

I was reading on a website that mold releases wit silicone are bad for plaster, and I wasn't sure if that would apply to silicone molding materials too.

tsenecal

silicone will only stick to itself... no mold release agents are required, using them would extend the life of the mold, but you are not going to be making 20 of these, so disregarding the mold release will actually help you in this endevour.

Tam

silicone will only stick to itself... no mold release agents are required, using them would extend the life of the mold, but you are not going to be making 20 of these, so disregarding the mold release will actually help you in this endevour.
Thanks. That puts my mind at ease about the subject. You guys have all been so helpful.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.