Not another I hear you say. Highlander.....

Katguit

Hello.My name is Mike, Im in the UK. I have been around here for quite a few years now. Never dared to really post but have learned so much. About 3 years ago after a few years of trying it became very important for me to make/find a cast from a highlander katana handle. I never did and my window sadly closed. 3 years on at last I found someone who sold me a cast of a Duncan handle.

At first I was so overwhelmed and was very close to tears. I decided that now was the time to jump straight in and try to re carve this a little more.... erm... into what I think/thought I was capable of.

Altho I am 3 years too late I will continue with my search for a movie handle too. It is very important to me on a personal level. I shall carry on in my quest.

In the mean time I will post a couple of pics of my progress. First project of a newbie I guess.

Here we go.

Hi Daryl. Thanks for the reply. As the time passed the versions seemed less important. It became more symbolic and a very personal thing I have to finish. The original plan that I tried to explain to you changed a little due to Adrian's kindness but alas the clock kept ticking and I never found anyone willing to sell me one.

This is why three years on as Fathers Day approaches in the UK, I take up the mantel again, posthumously.

I am still trying to put the display together that we talked about three years ago. It was only the handles that I was looking for. I have made the mount and display case for the bokken but up until now could not finish it as it has proved impossible to find handles. I did half halfheartedly consider the red jewel handles but A my heart would not let me and B those are as hard to find too.
The Duncan cast I finally found is a collared version which I am going to try to convert to the original non collared version.

I guess if I was in the position that I could choose it would have to be Duncan version 1 and either 1 or 2 of the movie version.
To my Dad anything that looked close to Adrians or Christophers handle would have made him so happy, hence me not just going for the red jewel handle.

There is still no change in the law here in the UK so no katanas can be imported, but I never was looking at a full pair of swords, just handles for, well sometimes you cant get rest until you finish what you started.

Hi. We spoke on pm 3 years ago regarding a handle as I was going to the sword experience with Adrian Paul at Cressing Temple.. I did this for my dad as he was unable to go but he loved Highlander. I thought you were going to sell me a handle for my Dad but things seemed to get a bit confused on the pm. A total misunderstanding on MY part. I was making a display of the bokken I fought Adrian with and was looking for a Duncan handle to mount alongside the bokken to give to my Dad as a gift.

Things changed when I met Adrian. He was such a gentleman,so kind and gave me a bokken to give my Dad as it was fathers day.. he even said happy fathers day to my Dad on the video. attached is a video of Adrian not only signing the bokken for my Dad but actually taking time and care to braid the handle too. This is why things changed. My idea of displaying my bokken and sword handle became secondary. Seeing the joy and wonderment in my Dads eyes when he recieved the bokken and watched the video of Adrian speaking to him will stay with me forever. That's when I knew the display was for my Dad. I made a display of the bokken Adrian gave my Dad, and looked and looked for a sword handle to display with it. I missed the window, suddenly and unexpectedly my Dad passed away.

I gave up looking for a Duncan sword handle and a Connor sword handle and mounted my bokken underneath my Dad's with a plaque. My mum passed away just before Christmas and I keep looking at the display and feel it is empty, unfinished. It is not what my Dad wanted. With father's day coming around again I feel I need to finish the display for my Dad and have been frantically looking for a Duncan sword handle and Connor sword handle for a while now but I am finding this a very hard task.

All I am looking to do is finish my Dad's display the way it deserves to be, one that I didn't manage to make for him while he was here.

I used a 10a blade to pick away the ridges as I wanted it smooth. It took a lot of time this way but I think I am making progress.
1563717482438.jpeg

I started to re-detail the mouth/teeth and other features. It may take me a while but I am finding this so rewarding. Any tips would be greatly received.

1563717782144.jpeg

Hi Daryl, thank you for the reply. I now have a much greater understanding of your work. Looking at the photographs of your handles, the intricate details and the fine finishing. The majestic look of the completed handle, the line....... Hey I could go on and on. I didn't think I could get as far as I have with this but you inspired me so much. Not just with the handles but many other things you have posted. Thank you for this my friend, in many ways.

PS I don't dare take a dremmel near this...

a dremmel on low with a small tool is easy to control when taking off greater materials .. it’s safe for sure .. but If you want i can also send you a SOTD casting as wel for you to dremmel away on. but i think you doing a handle on your own would be very heartfelt and an amazing display piece :)

here are some side by side pics and what i kinda suggest where to grind or cut .. the season one has a much fatter head than the SOtD so unless you plan on adding material to the handle just be prepared that it will be thinner than the actual prop.:
IMG_3883.jpg
IMG_3884.jpg
IMG_3885.jpg
IMG_3886.jpg

Daryl, I feel so very humbled. Time is a very precious thing. The fact that you have taken the time to sit down, work on these pictures for me and are willing to walk me through this astounds me. My words can never be enough to thank you. I still dont like the idea of taking a dremmel to it but, I have to sculpt it I guess. I just want to thank you so much for your guidance. I did manage to see these photos a few days ago but this is the first I could answer. I am so blown away by your pictures. I will post my progress as soon as I dare. Thank you again, Mike.

your very welcome! i’ll still get you a display handle but i really think you doing this would be just as meaningful .. and like i said i would help you all the way.. and i think, like most people here, that doing something with your hands and having that end result being awesome.. is an amazing feeling.
i recommend buying some Aves sculpty to add some details when needed or if you cut to much off the handle as you go.. remember that to learn you have to do, and i and many others will be here to help you ... so get some grinding bits and a cheapie dremmel and lets get you a hand made season one made while you wait for the other to make it to you :)

also if you want i can actually take a SOTD cast i have here that’s flawed and just do dremmeling on this one and post pics for you to do the same to yours .. i understand the fear of using a power tool on something like the handle but i promise that no matter what it will be worthwhile !

You should have asked directly to Daryl to get a season 1 handle.
If you need another cast in future, I still have the molds here.

I love seeing all the hand carving being done by you guys in these Highlander threads. Great work you guys and Daryl....man, I can't wait to get home in 50-ish days lol.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back