noob wanting to build an Iron Man helmet

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Dan Mumford, May 18, 2012.

1. Dan Mumford

Dan Mumford New Member

Hey everyone!

I'm a complete noob at this sort of thing, but I would really love an Iron Man helmet and the cheaper kids toy ones don't seem to look right and everything else seems to be crazy expensive, so I've decided to try and build my own with some 10mm LD45 plastazote foam after watching some YouTube videos and feeling inspired, haha!

I see that there seems to be lots of different versions around, is there a current 'model' ie from The Avengers?

I will be trying to use the Pepakura format to cut out the foam pieces, is the Sharkman MK6 from this topic the best set to use?

Any tips for someone trying this for the first time?

I also saw that there is a folded and unfolded method to the Pepakura, but I'm not quite sure what the benefits are of each way?

Many thanks, Dan! :thumbsup

2. Dan Mumford

Dan Mumford New Member

Anyone? :-(

3. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

Use the search function on the forum.

4. StarksWarehouse

StarksWarehouse Active Member

on my website the lessons up so far go up to cutting out the foams and new lessons will be up soon if they are any help to you atm.

5. Whetstone

Whetstone New Member

Okay easiest way to start is to download the ironman .pdo file, if your new i would get rid of the tabs when working with the file in pepakura designer. by cutting off the tabs it will be easier to get used to the folding, where there is a edge use the knife to slightly score the folds for easier folding. the to attach everything use masking tape on the back of the foam when putting it together. then instead of starting with fiberglass resin cover the inside of the helmet with wood glue and let dry. it will take longer to dry then using the resin but trust me as a beginner it will make your life easier, once its is dry then do a couple layers of resin to strengthen it. you can use fiberglass cloth on the inside for more strength or you can start working on the outside with resin and bondo. depending on what you are planing on using the helmet for. let me know if you have any questions.

6. STEALTH

STEALTH Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

the helmet from that topic thread is what you're looking for.
    http://www.4shared.com/file/ft05nh5M/SHARKMAN_IM_MK6_HELM_FOAM.html

I don't think there is a "Mark 7 avengers" helmet. Is there even a difference?

I'm pretty sure the shape of the helmets remained the same on mark 3,4,6 and 7
    correct me if I'm wrong.

anyways, it's not that hard, just follow the tutorials.

Good luck.

also, I'd like to add. I suggest not starting with the helmet if you're going to make a foam suit. Get some experience with other parts first to get the idea. The helmet is very intricate at times.

might discourage you if it doesn't go right the first time.

folded and unfolded method? I think you're confusing the terminology.

There is foam building and traditional paper/resin building.
    folded and unfolded is the difference between a pep file ready to be printed out or not

folded - needs to be unfolded into pieces in the software by someone in the 2D window
    unfolded- has been unfolded by someone into pieces and ready to print and build.

7. TheNickFox

TheNickFox Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The gold chin area and the bolt detail on the underside of the helmet changed on the Mark VII.

That's the only difference I've seen so far. It's definitely all stuff that can be done in the filling stage.

-Nick