Noob machinist's first saber build - Luke ROTJ V2

bradbutl3r

Hey guys. I'm in a machine tool program at a technical college right now and since I was ahead of schedule on my projects, and my instructor liking me, I was able to attempt to take on something I've dreamed of making for years now. I know there may be a few things off here and there but I made it using scrap and I've only had 7 months experience in a shop when I made it so I felt pretty good about it. Just wanted to show it off a bit and get any feedback. Maybe a few easy tweaks to improve accuracy. I know the card and lever on the clamp aren't super accurate but I'm working on that end. Also still need to add a belt ring to the pommel.

IMG_3803.JPGIMG_3804.jpgIMG_3805.jpgIMG_3806.jpgIMG_3807.jpg

Well, I'm no expert in either the V2, or machining, but I can say that I've had plans for a ROTJ 'Hero' saber for 20 years. My brother is the manager of a machining shop, & everytime I talk to him about machining one out for me, I get 238 excuses about the tools used & the shop time & the hours & the manpower & the blah,blah, blah.

That being said, with only 7 months experience, I'd say you did a great job.:thumbsup Accuracy aside, when someone looks at that, they're going to recognize it as a Luke Skywalker ROTJ Lightsaber, & really, what more can you ask for?

Don't get too hung up on 'accuracy' either with this thing, as some of what we thought we knew, is being shaken up a bit right now.

And let me add, you may someday own the most accurate, to the milimeter & paint chip, V2 on the planet, but it'll never be as special as this one.

I'll guarantee.

Thanks! Yeah I agree with that last part. I'm sure years from now it'll make me cringe but it'll always be my first. I like being as accurate as I can but to a certain point. I make props for me, not anyone else.

Yeah. That was from experience.

I have a Luke ANH made from an authentic Graflex, & I'm making my son a TFA Graflex as we speak. He's 21 & in currently deployed in the Marine Corps, so it'll be a welcome home gift when he gets back. Thing is, when he was about 6 or 7, I made him a Luke saber using a sink tube, hot glue & a washer for the glass eye, PVC strips for the grips, a headphone adapter & paint for the red button, you get the idea. When I cut the curve out of the end, drilled the holes where the pins are, & buffed it with some Scotch-Brite, we almost stopped working on it then. To us, it WAS a Luke saber.:lol

It was lost over the years, but i swear if we could find it, it'd be front & center of our collection.

I love the V2 it's probably my favourite saber & certainly the one I've owned most versions of

I think yours looks great as Usagi Pilgrim says above instantly recognisable as a Luke V2, I wish I had your skills & didn't have to rely on runs for my sabers

beautiful saber :)

such a great lightsaber! :) very clean work (although i certainly am no machinist to critique your work)
maaaaaaybe it even is too clean for that paint chipping. the metal doesnt have any dents, scratches or oxidized, rusted spots. so im basically suggesting to match the wear and tear of both paint and metal :)

I actually thought about rolling it down the driveway a few times. I will eventually. It's just so hard, as much as I love weathering, when you spend so much time on making something to bust it up :unsure

- - - Updated - - -

My first prop was an ANH graflex. I love it more than anything. I'm definitely going to make a TFA soon. That's an awesome story. It was hard working on this cause every time one of the features would start to take shape I had a geek out moment.

hehe
i exactly know what you mean :D so how about you repaint it with less chipping?
having 2 of a kind whereas one is heavily battle damaged and one almost pristine seems to be the ideal case :D

Excellent ... I'm not a machine shop guy ... so good attempt ... just one thing that I would change is the 'fatness' of the rings on the 'grenade' section ... other than that ... approved! :)

Chaim

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back