Noob here - What do you guys use to fill the gaps

crlock

Hi there, i've been lurking around for some time now, trying to learn techniques and everything i can so i don't mess up with my models.
But i fail :( mainly because i'm too impatient.

I set up to build a Moebius BSG - Galactica and notice all the gaps on the joints, but i don't know what to use to fill those gaps.
what would you recommend?

Anyways, leasson learned :$

AVES Apoxy Sculpt works great for larger gaps. It's a 2-part expoxy that molds like clay. It's water based and gives you about 30 minutes of work time before it becomes too hard to work with. It gives off no fumes. You can also mold and shape it for instances where you need to restore a parts original contour or shape.

For smaller surface imperfections there's Tamiya Basic Type polyester putty which is a paste in a tube. It's much like Bondo red spot putty. Cleans up with lacquer thinner and it does give off fumes.

Another surface filler I recently started using is Perfect Plastic Putty. You can order it online if you do a search. It's a very fine white paste with no fumes and it's water based for easy cleanup. It doesn't shrink and dries in about 30 minutes or less. Really good stuff.

I think the main key is to have a set of good clamps. if you glue and clamp properly you ccan usually hit the resulting seam with primer sand lighly primer again and the seam will disappear. If you have a lot of gaps then proper gluing and clamping is likely the problem... Unless its just a crappy model, or its resin and hits warped in excessive heat or something. Most comercial kits these days fit well enough that major gaps and seams are not an issue. There aer exceptions but ususally you can glue and clamp your way out of (minor) fit issues.

So I've built the moebius galactica, and careful gluing and clamping is the way to go here - the only exception is the gator head and the mount to the lower hulls. You need to do a bit of cutting on the lower parts of the upper head, and then clamp the holy heck out of it when you attach upper to lower. Somehow the Moebius guys got that alignment a bit "off". But everywhere else careful gluing and clamping got me by just fine. That is why Dry fitting is such a crucial step ;)

But to answer your question I usually use spot glazing putty... bondo light in a tube :) you can get it at most auto parts shops.

Jedi Dade

Oh and if it turns out really bad... you can always turn it into a battle damamged version of the galactica... add some bits and broke piping stickout out with some burn paintwork and it'll look great... then you can get another and develop your clamping skills :)

Jedi Dade

Thankyou guys, i'll go with the apoxie, and definetly will get more clamps for the next model.

the galactica turned out pretty well after the paint job, you know, being my second model build, the mejor issue i find with this model was the gator head, heavy sanding and cutting needed there, and the landing bays, very painfull to fit too.

next model on the pipe is the speeder bike, and after thatthe millenium falcon and then a star destroyer, and then the death star and then the oddisey, and then the rodger young and then aaaahhhh i'm gonna go bankrupt jajjajaja

After market parts? are you serious??
next build is the speeder bike from MPC, are there any after market parts for it?

- - - Updated - - -

After market parts? are you serious??
next build is the speeder bike from MPC, are there any after market parts for it?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back