No way to make it perfect, but I'll do the best I can on this Falcon...

Chrisisall

Sr Member
Made this big kit in the 70's & worked HARD on it as a kid (Thanks to me back then!). Broke the dish & the lower guns during our many moves.
This is my next project, it will never a perfect grade, but it may bring me a quantum of solace.
IMG_20210226_211038.jpg

Last edited:
Is that the one where the top lifts off to reveal the insides? If so, I think mine is the same kit... I'll have to dig around for it this weekend if I get a chance. seeing the lost dish and guns reminded me that mine lost the dish and some landing gear too I think...

Yours is looking good from here!

So basically I'm gonna do four things:
A) build a new lower gun from scratch & attach it.
2) Fix up the dish & build up the base of it just a bit.
C) Shave down the atrociously high 'fins' on the upper & lower front extensions (wow, I never noticed how big those are until now).
4) Repaint a LOT of it. I did a great job for my age back then, but I missed some spots, and hadn't yet grasped painting in layers.
Thankfully, I did a fairly nice job of painting the cockpit, 'cause I'm not about to open up any part of this beast. ;)
IMG_20210227_153955_1.jpg
IMG_20210227_154050.jpg
IMG_20210227_155234.jpg

Really nice job on a very worthy design. Reworking an old model from the past brings back the memories. That model does have a lot of detail and a character all its own.

I made an effort last night to locate my other Star Wars models. I posted elsewhere my Vader TIE and snow speeder, but I’m pretty certain I had an x-wing and for sure had a Falcon. But I couldn’t locate either last night.

Lots of Mopar models, which I’ll never get to build, if anyone is interested... (I’ll list in the ‘yard at some point)

Attachments

• D6621F9A-04B9-4894-A8D8-0C9EADEFE364.jpeg
    D6621F9A-04B9-4894-A8D8-0C9EADEFE364.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 62
  • BC86027A-C1AE-4C9E-A339-0D377F4222A8.jpeg
    BC86027A-C1AE-4C9E-A339-0D377F4222A8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 58
Really nice job on a very worthy design. Reworking an old model from the past brings back the memories. That model does have a lot of detail and a character all its own.
Yeah, it does...

I lowered (sanded) the upper & lower forward 'fins', & sanded down the 'top caps' a LOT to fit again. Result? A much sleeker look to the front.
IMG_20210228_184907.jpg
IMG_20210228_185248.jpg

The kit as I had it painted from 1978 was a strange ivory colour, so I gave it a super-light gray wash- turned out well. Now onto the detailing.
IMG_20210303_095321.jpg

Looks great from here!
Thanks. Not many choices with the Falcon out there... This old inaccurate MPC kit (nice & big for $60), or the Bandai totally accurate kit (Smaller, & $400)... this kit was like $20 back in the day, so I recon I got a bargain just buying new paint & epoxy to refurbish her.

I’m pretty sure I have/ had the same kit. I hope I can locate it but I have a backup plan...

I mean, there weren’t a lot of options when we were kids. You took what they gave and were thankful for it! As much as I loved (and still love) the original trilogy, I never had any of the cool toys. I have put my hands on the Vader TIE, and my snow speeder recently. Also an un-built pair of regular TIE fighters I was going to set up in the Death Star raid defense formation. But I haven’t found my X-wing or my Falcon.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back