No surprise, the $15 Indy Grail Diary is terrible

mhariush

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been looking at some Indy Grail Diaries and thinking of making my own. But I've also seen them for sale on Amazon and eBay for a ridiculously low price, and I I figured they are probably terrible. So if anyone wondered... This is what $15 will get you

You know what’s weird? Last week I ordered a real, genuine Rolex from some unknown company For 31.00. When it arrived I was SHOCKED to find out it was a fake!!!

Seriously, dude, what did you expect for 15.00?!
Where did I put that eye roll emoji…?
I bought it with the intention of seeing exactly how terrible it would be.

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for doing this.

I always wonder about these super cheap offerings and what you get.

Now we know thanks to you.

To be honest my 15-16€ Grail diary is pretty ok. Far from perfect, inserts and rubber band missing. But the print quality is nice and it’s an actual bound journal. Making it my own at the moment.
Just finished (like seriously 5min) darkening the pleather (which is actually pretty close to real deal in feel, just too darn light in colour). Already went in and sanded the corners but after shoe polish it doesn’t show up so I’ll lightly go over the edges again. I’ll use pigments inside to give a splotchy appearance of age as advised by a fellow board member and as the cover pages are unfortunately whiter than my teeth, I’ll use a bit of coffee on those to give the book a nice smell as well (haha, but actually it’ll camouflage the shoe polish fragrance nicely too).

-J
Ps sorry for the bad pics, took them out of the blue just for this post.
47C2C462-41C7-47FC-A4C2-DC5FDB5727FF.jpeg
2139A6B7-BECA-4FF1-B2A3-B5E715675573.jpeg

yeah that one doesn't look half bad. Much better than the one I got. How were the inserts?

To be honest my 15-16€ Grail diary is pretty ok. Far from perfect, inserts and rubber band missing. But the print quality is nice and it’s an actual bound journal. Making it my own at the moment.
Just finished (like seriously 5min) darkening the pleather (which is actually pretty close to real deal in feel, just too darn light in colour). Already went in and sanded the corners but after shoe polish it doesn’t show up so I’ll lightly go over the edges again. I’ll use pigments inside to give a splotchy appearance of age as advised by a fellow board member and as the cover pages are unfortunately whiter than my teeth, I’ll use a bit of coffee on those to give the book a nice smell as well (haha, but actually it’ll camouflage the shoe polish fragrance nicely too).

yeah that one doesn't look half bad. Much better than the one I got. How were the inserts?
Some missing, some bad, some ok-ish for non screen accurate build. Half suspected that from the AliExpress reviews but was planning on making them myself with my wife. But yeah, this one is ok. Then again not sure how much I trust them to send the same product for every client. But as an inexpensive start for a build, well worth it.

-J

-J
Ps sorry for the bad pics, took them out of the blue just for this post.
View attachment 1656464View attachment 1656465
This one would have made me a very happy child. I'm happy to have a better replica now, but this would be perfect as a low-stakes gift for an Indy fan.

I've been looking at some Indy Grail Diaries and thinking of making my own. But I've also seen them for sale on Amazon and eBay for a ridiculously low price, and I I figured they are probably terrible. So if anyone wondered... This is what $15 will get you

I actually bought one a WHILE back on amazon.
ZERO inserts
printed in monochrome
wrong size..
At least it was cheap? :lol:

I actually bought one a WHILE back on amazon.
ZERO inserts
printed in monochrome
wrong size..
At least it was cheap? :lol:
It's one of those completely random Forest Gump "box of chocolate" things - no telling what you'll get.
I bought a grail diary, a grail, and a Raiders Idol from Aliexpress for AU$20-30 each. The Grail was decent enough though way too smooth and lacking in a rough surface texture.
The diary was actually pretty solid with loads of inserts, reasonable printing and a good finish, though the pages were a little too clearly laser printed from medium res files. Definitely worth the price though.
diary-three-jpg.jpg

diary-8-jpg.jpg

The Idol was the scariest of the bunch... real horror show material:
idol-one-jpg.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back