Nintendo now wants a share of ad revenue from YouTubers.

And they're pissing off a lot of LPers along the way. At least a few high profile ones have sworn off doing Nintendo games now. Between that, the repeatedly utterly shoddy rollout of Amiibos, and the collective yawn from consumers over the Wii U it seems like Nintendo may find itself in trouble soon.

I see both sides of it to be honest. Most "Let's Plays" are harmless. However games that rely on story can indeed have a Let's Play make a negative impact on sales revenue. Regardless, it IS free advertising and for those who stop doing Nintendo games there will be others happy to fork over the $ because people will still want to see them and they'll get more views because the high profile ones aren't doing it anymore.

Between that, the repeatedly utterly shoddy rollout of Amiibos, and the collective yawn from consumers over the Wii U it seems like Nintendo may find itself in trouble soon.

:lol Far from it actually. The Wii U is doing poorly, yes (which is sad, EASILY the best console this generation thus far) but Amiibos are making a killing as is they're handheld platforms. Of the three big players Nintendo is actually doing the best. Sony, as a company, is in dire straights. PS4 is doing very well but it can't hold up that ship by itself. Microsoft has indicated that XB1 might be their last system, playing with selling the XB division off. The only one who's full steam ahead, and has LOADS of money in the bank is Nintendo. They easily have the best IP's in the business and their funds are such that they could take a big hit on the Wii U AND their next few consoles and still be in the game.

Nintendo makes a LOT of dumb calls. I agree that this is one of them. However the right calls they make have made them the most secure name in the biz.

I see both sides of it to be honest. Most "Let's Plays" are harmless. However games that rely on story can indeed have a Let's Play make a negative impact on sales revenue. Regardless, it IS free advertising and for those who stop doing Nintendo games there will be others happy to fork over the $ because people will still want to see them and they'll get more views because the high profile ones aren't doing it anymore.

:lol Far from it actually. The Wii U is doing poorly, yes (which is sad, EASILY the best console this generation thus far) but Amiibos are making a killing as is they're handheld platforms. Of the three big players Nintendo is actually doing the best. Sony, as a company, is in dire straights. PS4 is doing very well but it can't hold up that ship by itself. Microsoft has indicated that XB1 might be their last system, playing with selling the XB division off. The only one who's full steam ahead, and has LOADS of money in the bank is Nintendo. They easily have the best IP's in the business and their funds are such that they could take a big hit on the Wii U AND their next few consoles and still be in the game.

Nintendo makes a LOT of dumb calls. I agree that this is one of them. However the right calls they make have made them the most secure name in the biz.

MS should let Nintendo take over the Xbox biz, best of both worlds.

MS should let Nintendo take over the Xbox biz, best of both worlds.

I still maintain that if Nintendo stopped messing around and just came out with a powerful system with no forced gimmicks they'd win the war again. One console that gives you all the new multiplats as well as the most prominent IPs in the business? Game over. There would be no need for any other console.

But no, we need a touch screen and motion controls...

Don't get me wrong, LOVE how the touch screen is used in many games but don't force it on developers and don't sacrifice the power of your system to include it.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

The only one who's full steam ahead, and has LOADS of money in the bank is Nintendo.

So they have the most money and now want to take more off the little people that are really already advertising them.That's corporate greed at its best. Disgusting. :(

Ben

- - - Updated - - -

The only one who's full steam ahead, and has LOADS of money in the bank is Nintendo.

So they have the most money and now want to take more off the little people that are really already advertising them.That's corporate greed at its best. Disgusting. :(

Ben

Kinda. Lol. It's their intellectual property so they have every right to claim 100% If they wanted to. Still a dick move though.

Angry Joe posted a video saying he wasn't going to do Nintendo videos anymore. Being a Nintendo Loyalist since the original NES, this breaks my heart.

Kinda. Lol. It's their intellectual property so they have every right to claim 100% If they wanted to. Still a dick move though.

I get that it's their property and understand 100%. What Nintendo fail to see is that they get free advertising from these videos.Its the same as Mr Lucas and any other company turning a blind eye to us making costumes and props. It keeps the franchises alive which eventually helps make them more profits.Id even go as far as saying that I'm sure alot of what people earn from YouTube advertising goes back into Nintendos pocket anyway. These people are fans and It's a D$&khead move by Nintendo with nothing more than greed propelling it. Nintendo are going to get huge backlash from this. I wonder if they remember the whole Xbox One drm incident. Even though they reversed their plans they lost my loyalty and I'm sure thousands of others over it.Its a loyalty and respect issue to me.

Ben

- - - Updated - - -

I get that it's their property and understand 100%. What Nintendo fail to see is that they get free advertising from these videos.Its the same as Mr Lucas and any other company turning a blind eye to us making costumes and props. It keeps the franchises alive which eventually helps make them more profits.Id even go as far as saying that I'm sure alot of what people earn from YouTube advertising goes back into Nintendos pocket anyway. These people are fans and It's a D$&khead move by Nintendo with nothing more than greed propelling it. Nintendo are going to get huge backlash from this. I wonder if they remember the whole Xbox One drm incident. Even though they reversed their plans they lost my loyalty and I'm sure thousands of others over it.Its a loyalty and respect issue to me.

Ben

Last edited:
Angry Joe posted a video saying he wasn't going to do Nintendo videos anymore. Being a Nintendo Loyalist since the original NES, this breaks my heart.

Did he ever do Nintendo reviews? I don't recall any, I saw that video a while back saying he wouldn't do them but I thought he was just starting.

Its the same as Mr Lucas and any other company turning a blind eye to us making costumes and props.

While I agree that youtube vids are free advertising for Nintendo I don't think this is a fair comparison. The real equivalent would be if Lucasfilm turned a blind eye to people posting up their films on youtube with say, a riff track. If the entire film is there they would most definitely take it down. Let's Play channels do show the entire game to their audience. With a Mario game this is harmless, there's no twist ending, we all know the story. With a Zelda game? Debatable. Some other games are almost movies in their own right so I totally understand the harm there.

Honestly, I don't think there will be any more than a minor backlash. Nintendo fans are die hard and Nintendo has enough golden franchises that being cheesed about youtubers being gouged isn't going to sway many of the general public. In all honesty, I see this becoming more normal in the future. Nintendo's making claims now, next it will be Ubisoft, then EA, etc...

I'm not saying it's right, it's just the realistic consequences of making money off of someone else's intellectual property. You're open to that person coming and taking a cut, or shutting you down entirely. So while I'm disappointed this is happening I'm not outraged.

Nintendo sure seems to be doing everything wrong since the man who ran the company since the NES era retired, they can't figure out they should get 3rd party companies like they had on the SNES that made it a smash and now this.

From the article - Section 29 of Canada's Copyright Law states that fair use does not infringe on copyright if it's used for research, parody, satire, criticism or news reporting. That's why movie reviews can include short clips of the films being critiqued.

All they have to do is some Critiquing commentary and they are covered, and Nintendo can go pound sand, at least in Canada. The USA more heavily favors the parent corporation coughDisneycough, so I don't know how this will play out here. Either way this is the classic definition of a Dick Move.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still maintain that if Nintendo stopped messing around and just came out with a powerful system with no forced gimmicks they'd win the war again. One console that gives you all the new multiplats as well as the most prominent IPs in the business? Game over. There would be no need for any other console.

But no, we need a touch screen and motion controls...

Don't get me wrong, LOVE how the touch screen is used in many games but don't force it on developers and don't sacrifice the power of your system to include it.

I totally agree.

This isn't to say that they need to start doing what sony and microsoft do. I don't think nintendo needs to get into call of duty stuff at all.

But I would love a straight ahead MASSIVE mario 2-d platformer.

There are so many ways they could expand the adventures of their tried and true heroes. Imagine a mega man that delves into epic stories. (maybe even getting into metroidvania styled adventures)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back