Nike Mag Markpoon clear sole replacements and ankle bubble

darthslick

Since Nike released the 2011 Nike Mags back... blah blah blah:cry:cry...
Ok we all know the story and many of us couldn't go out and buy us a pair
Like many here I attempted to upgrade my Markpoon Nike McFlys with lights and what not... then the solder iron incident happened back in Nov of 2011. At that time S02 was upgrading Markpoon's McFlys for a price and I about jumped on the band wagon to save me some time but something told me not to.. so instead I bought a new pair of shoes from Markpoon. That was December of 2011. Then the first of January they arrived and the project started all over again but with a twist.... new clear sole replacements along with ankle bubble and of course new straps.

I want to tip my hat off to Markpoon of course for these wonderful shoes. My biggest inspirations for this project came from Pitbull, MTB and lukebrynycz.

And Kudos to S02 for taking on his own project with those many shoes at one time.

Here are pictures of prototype one of my mags. I apologize for the pics. My camera is not the best.

These are for my use only. I'm sure there are many flaws on detail, craftsmeship and accuracy but that's ok. No big deal. Cause if I wanted accuracy I would sell my sister for a pair of the real deals. ROTFL! JK.

It's all for the love of prop making anwyways.
The nice part is.. they're mine.

My clear soles and ankle bubbles are designed from the 2011 Nike Mags but fitted to Markpoon's McFlys.

NK1.jpg

NK2.jpg

NK3.jpg

NK4.jpg

Still doing more tests on the clear soles. Enjoy!

Very very cool! I would love to know more details like what material the rubber is, what type of adhesive did you used. Are you going to offer the soles as a kit?

Thanks!

fantastic

i don't get it though?

did you create these clear soles from scratch using a clear material?

if so, could you give instructions how you did it?

im sure everyone here needs to know now! they look awesome!

incredible really.

Very cool. Like everyone else, very interested in how you did this. What I really like is how the whole clear part lights up and not just the arches on the real MAGs. I think it looks way better.

if this is a material we can go and buy and then stick onto our shoes, then it should be great.

it may then be possible to do this for the k mags too, just cut out the rubber part and replace and glue with these clear ones.

i would like to know how you made them, did you create a mould or are they just thin slices of material just glued on?

are they ok for wearing outside?

i was looking at the grade an cuts real close and to me it looks like a transparent mat good job gives me ideas .thanks keep up the good work oh my question is how did you mold the back led covers for the back sole.

Very cool. Like everyone else, very interested in how you did this. What I really like is how the whole clear part lights up and not just the arches on the real MAGs. I think it looks way better.
did you find a mini converter if not adafruit.com/ has all of your materials to complete your k mags light set EL panel 34.98 mini 12 volt 12V EL wire/tape inverter 4.98 i hope this helps.

did you find a mini converter if not adafruit.com/ has all of your materials to complete your k mags light set EL panel 34.98 mini 12 volt 12V EL wire/tape inverter 4.98 i hope this helps.

do you have any pics of your k mags?
have you ripped the soles out? and do you know which clear material you are going to use to make replace the rubber on the kmags?

im interested too in doing something to improve the k mags

First things first... thanks so much for the compliments. Greatly appreciated as this project has be crazy.

Lot's of questions so here we go. I started with 3D models for lower soles rendered then printed out of nylon polymer resin and the light bubbles are printed out of a clear laser 3D printed resin.

The sides of the soles are made with plasticine modeling clay. Then they where hand sculpted with the use of a rapidly proed tool out of stainless steel. I had to do it this way because my 3D software couldn't go any further. Pain in my butt too cause it was really painstaking having to sculpt those individual squares by hand in the plasticine modeling clay.

The molds where made from brush-able plate silicon and the shoe soles where made from UV stable water clear urethane rubber.
--WARNING-- the 2 part mix is HIGHLY TOXIC and respiration and ventilation are required. --WARNING-- Do not walk outside with the mask on cause people might get suspicious and think you're running a Meth lab or starting a biochemical warfare. :lol Also vacuum degassing is needed as tiny air bubbles showed up in the test.

The glue used to put the soles on to the shoe is Shoe goo. Plain and simple and it really does work. The smell reminds me of model glue.
I walked around the shop with the soles glued on after 24 hours of adhering.... and no problems and very comfortable as you see I'm a size 10.5 US and Markpoons are 9.5. I've also done outside wearing in realistic places like on concrete, pavement and asphalt. No rock climbing or down a dirt road ;-) No problems but they did get a little light gray/brown underneath from dirt but was easy to wipe away with soap and warm water. BUT that's going to happen with any shoe ;-)

As far as making kits to sell... I'm still in testing and I really don't know as there are too many questions on what I have so far. It's very crud right now. If I were to sell them they would be as clear soles and that's it. Not for perfection. The cost alone for the toxic clear urethane rubber alone is very pricey. So they wouldn't be cheap.

I will be going out of town this weekend so I hope when I get back to have a video uploaded here late Monday night early Tuesday so everyone can see me wearing them and get a better look.

NK10.jpg

NK9.jpg

NK12.jpg

NK16.jpg

NK14.jpg

NK13.jpg

NK17.jpg

NK6.jpg

NK11.jpg

NK7.jpg

NK5.jpg

First things first... thanks so much for the compliments. Greatly appreciated as this project has be crazy.

Lot's of questions so here we go. I started with 3D models for lower soles rendered then printed out of nylon polymer resin and the light bubbles are printed out of a clear laser 3D printed resin.

The sides of the soles are made with plasticine modeling clay. Then they where hand sculpted with the use of a rapidly proed tool out of stainless steel. I had to do it this way because my 3D software couldn't go any further. Pain in my butt too cause it was really painstaking having to sculpt those individual squares by hand in the plasticine modeling clay.

The molds where made from brush-able plate silicon and the shoe soles where made from UV stable water clear urethane rubber.
--WARNING-- the 2 part mix is HIGHLY TOXIC and respiration and ventilation are required. --WARNING-- Do not walk outside with the mask on cause people might get suspicious and think you're running a Meth lab or starting a biochemical warfare. :lol Also vacuum degassing is needed as tiny air bubbles showed up in the test.

The glue used to put the soles on to the shoe is Shoe goo. Plain and simple and it really does work. The smell reminds me of model glue.
I walked around the shop with the soles glued on after 24 hours of adhering.... and no problems and very comfortable as you see I'm a size 10.5 US and Markpoons are 9.5. I've also done outside wearing in realistic places like on concrete, pavement and asphalt. No rock climbing or down a dirt road ;-) No problems but they did get a little light gray/brown underneath from dirt but was easy to wipe away with soap and warm water. BUT that's going to happen with any shoe ;-)

As far as making kits to sell... I'm still in testing and I really don't know as there are too many questions on what I have so far. It's very crud right now. If I were to sell them they would be as clear soles and that's it. Not for perfection. The cost alone for the toxic clear urethane rubber alone is very pricey. So they wouldn't be cheap.

I will be going out of town this weekend so I hope when I get back to have a video uploaded here late Monday night early Tuesday so everyone can see me wearing them and get a better look.

NK10.jpg

NK9.jpg

NK12.jpg

NK16.jpg

NK14.jpg

NK13.jpg

NK17.jpg

NK6.jpg

NK11.jpg

NK7.jpg

NK5.jpg

well thats where doc browns plutonium mask went!

it looks amazing, you must have courage to do that!

i wouldn't want to mess with anything toxic!

Fyfe, I thought you just finished yours??? You gonna tear em back down?

These upgrades look UBER nice though.

I just wish NIKE would take a hint and make these things already! They would make a killing.

In a factory I'm sure these things would be easier than a LOT of the B-ball crazy patton leather mixed with neoprene etc.

It's only 2012!

Sorry for goin off topic. Again VERY nice upgrade! Looks very clear and professionally done! :)

Is this affordable yet? Last time I have anything like this done, it was about $700 per piece :eek

At least the clay sides are DIY :lol

Damn, and to think I sold my vacuum chamber and pump a few years ago.

At least that product is readily available. Doesn't it yellow over time though? The last time I used it was back in the 1990s (maybe 1996) to rebuild the soles of my NIKE AIR PRESSURES (which I wore into the ground - I loved those shoes) and it was clear out of the tube, but within about 6 weeks, it had turned yellowish. It seemed hard wearing though and I wonder if it could be used to make at clear side pieces?

It's late Monday night and here it is as promised the video of my Nike (Markpoon) MAGS with clear soles and ankle bubble prototype 1.

Once again these are for my use only. I'm sure there are many flaws on detail, craftsmeship, accuracy oh.. lol and lighting. I just barley put these on for the video so everyone could get a peak of the clear soles. To be honest the whole shoe is still a work in progress but it's all for the love of prop making anwyways. Right? And that's all some of us have since Nike (even though it was for a good cause) let us the "little people" with small pocket change down for the real deals. GODBLESS Markpoon and the many talents here to make our Nike MAGS look 80% like the real deals. I'm praying that on 9/8/15 will be at least $800 a pair with power laces. :confused

I wanted to demonstrate what they look like in all types of lighting and in the dark. I tell you what.... the way I designed these... I don't need a flash light. ROTFL:lol You can even see the lights outside in the daytime(y)thumbsup And the plus of it all... I can wear them for a long time with lights on. Let me put it this way.... from the time a CON would normally start (10:30am-11:00am) clear til after it ends at 6pm. Heck... I'm sure around 8pm they might start going dim?

Oh and I added one "non" canon effect to my shoe. :)

Enjoy!!

My Nike Mags - YouTube

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back