Nike Mag Idea..

lukebrynycz

Sr Member
So with Brads amazing Mag prop thread, it's got me thinking..."It would be amazing for MarkPoon to have a more accurate, redesigned shoe made to be wearable like his current model". I have discussed this with him in the past briefly, and although he seems to be able to have his shoe maker hand make the current model, he was unable to improve the design to be more like Brads excellent project.

Clearly then, it's an 'up front cost' issue, and I can imagine that it would cost quite a bit for his shoe maker to spend the time designing and created a more accurate model. Just an idea (and I hope Marks ok with me throwing this idea up here!) but I thought it would be great if we could all chip in to fund the redesign for a screen accurate, wearable shoe. It would be great even without the light conversion and Nike logs etc, if his guy didn't want to spend the time doing the light conversions. Talented guys here could offer that as an after-service perhaps?

So, who here would be up for chipping in to help fund this? If this was to be approved by Mark, perhaps the contributors could be the first to have a pair at a preferential rate for their input?

I am curious as to how much it would cost. I could even send Mark a sample of the fabric I found along with a completely foam upper as a sample of the form.

Count me in, if it can be done, and replicate the real Nike shoe VERY well, yeah id be up for that, lets face it, they sell very well whatever the hype weather, so a new accurate shoe, would still run out the door, literally maybe.

Talk to Mark, and his guy in the shop, see what can be acheived? No lycra, something like the fabric Brad is using, a sleaker profile and ankle area, etc, its all possible...Brad is living proof of that!

Id even like to see a Heel cup with molded in logo's, but that could be a corporate no no.

lee

I am curious as to how much it would cost. I could even send Mark a sample of the fabric I found along with a completely foam upper as a sample of the form.

Thanks Brad, really nice gesture. Not to take ANYTHING away from you're project, it's awesome. But I reckon after you've made yours, the last thing on your mind will be to make them for others as its so time consuming and this will make the reproduction easier!

Hopefully Mark will notice this and will be up for it

Last edited:
Count me in, if it can be done, and replicate the real Nike shoe VERY well, yeah id be up for that, lets face it, they sell very well whatever the hype weather, so a new accurate shoe, would still run out the door, literally maybe.

Talk to Mark, and his guy in the shop, see what can be acheived? No lycra, something like the fabric Brad is using, a sleaker profile and ankle area, etc, its all possible...Brad is living proof of that!

Id even like to see a Heel cup with molded in logo's, but that could be a corporate no no.

lee

I agree, if it's like Brads shoe (no reason it can't be from an experienced shoe maker and Brads kindly offered designs) then I'm definitely willing to help fund it. We could maybe get a small pot for a percentage of the sales to send over to the Fox Foundation so that us working class can contribute to the cause that Nike made unavailable to us.

I think it would be best to create the shoe plain like his current model so as to not attract the wrong attention ;-) logos can always be improved easily afterwards by a graphics designer/fabric printer.

Anyway, I'm willing to chip in a few hundred £/$. Please add your name to the list below if you're willing to contribute to getting the shoe that we have all craved for so long:

Myself
Jedifyfe
Ralphee
GBRob
FrontCover
DL4567

Last edited:
P.S. Ralphee, we're you at Top Gear Live at all, as it's around your area? It was a great show, saw a nice guy called Brian there with his Time Machine, didn't expect that to be there!

You're right Luke. I definitely don't want to make a lot of shoes. I can send Mark a semi finished upper part and a fabric sample. I think Mark was going to get a real pair of the MAGs anyway so maybe he can use those as reference.

Is there a way certain changes could be made (perhaps the most major ones only), and the shoes could be shipped slightly less assembled? Maybe let the buyer do something simple, like glue some part(s) on themselves? To keep time / labor / shipping costs low?

-MJ

P.S. Ralphee, we're you at Top Gear Live at all, as it's around your area? It was a great show, saw a nice guy called Brian there with his Time Machine, didn't expect that to be there!

Luke, sadly not, dont get time lately, though we are a household of Top Gear heads buddy.

bests......lee

Is there a way certain changes could be made (perhaps the most major ones only), and the shoes could be shipped slightly less assembled? Maybe let the buyer do something simple, like glue some part(s) on themselves? To keep time / labor / shipping costs low?

-MJ

Not a bad idea! I would be happy either way to be honest. So I take it that you're in then if we can get this going?

Luke, sadly not, dont get time lately, though we are a household of Top Gear heads buddy.

bests......lee

Ah well, there's always YouTube :) I'm from over Leeds/Bradford way so quite a long way to NEC. I was loving the group b rally cars. An RS200 was lapping the indoor circuit.....until it went bang lol

If we manage to get this going, I think it would be a good idea to just keep a limited run for those that contributed. Mainly so that it wouldn't attract attention, and if so it would more than likely be ignored if it was a few die hard fans keeping them hidden from the public world. Secondly, we would have the pleasure of having a rare shoe and can have the honour of contributing a small percentage to the great Fox Foundation.

This way everyone wins, in a respectful way. :thumbsup

You can definitely add me to the list. It would be even more attractive if he could make them in size 12, since it would be a new shoe from scratch... right?

Hi Guys,

I'm afraid that's not going to happen :( I've asked the shoe maker before & he can't change anything. He is going to retire for good & stop making them as soon as the rubber outsoles are gone.

That's a shame. Surely he knows somebody else in the business willing to help with this? If not, I would imagine there's loads of shoe makers around there that we can contact..?

Hi Guys,

I'm afraid that's not going to happen :( I've asked the shoe maker before & he can't change anything. He is going to retire for good & stop making them as soon as the rubber outsoles are gone.

Even if he is offered a good sum of extra retirement funds for a small, limited run of shoes for members here? :cool

I don't know about others, but I would be willing to pay up to £800 for a pair of fully wearable shoes, and then perhaps Brad, MTB and/or Pitbull would be willing to do 'one last run' of light conversions for the few that contributed with the El Soles, for say £200 (total of £1000/$1600ish). Anything more, and I would rather spend that little bit extra and go for a pair of genuine shoes when they lower in price soon.

I following you, but no more 200 Dollard for me...
it is possible to separate the sole etc..?

The size of the shoes is 43, I find it too small, why is not more than 44?

In all fairness, if I made these shoes accurately, I would want double what Mark charges for his, if not a little bit more. If Brad is kind enough to modify mine once he is done with his, I'd expect to pay around $800. I would imagine its hard work.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back