Nightwing EVA Foam build

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by Luis Rodriguez, Apr 3, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Luis Rodriguez

Luis Rodriguez Active Member

Hi everyone ! i just started a new project, after i finished my Red hood helmet i decided that i wanted to make an armor or something .... so i chose Nightwing :p
    i have made a bunch of " prototypes " so far, because it's the first time that i work with EVA foam, i bought the Foamsmith trilogy by Bill Doran ( it's really good ) and i hope it goes well !

I'm planning to wear this cosplay at SDCC 2015 so i think i have plenty of time, to do this the right way !

Besides the pieces that i put in here i already made a bicep and.. some kind of ... rectangle that it's supposed to be the joint between the bicep, tricep and shoulder,and will give continuity to the stripe ( i don't know if it's going to be red or blue at this point ) that would begin with the emblem :p

Still have to do a lot of modifications ( the shoulder for example, i'm still thinkingin the bicep design...) any suggestion is welcome :)

I will keep you informed.

Attached Files:

MissHParker and George like this.
  2. oswaldthegreat

oswaldthegreat Jr Member

Looking forward to progress on this build! Nice!

3. Luis Rodriguez

Thanks Oswaldthegreat ( i bet you are actually great :p ) ....

Update !!!

I have been working on the forearms as you can see in the pictures.... i take as a base a pepakura model of a dark knight forearm and made some modifications to it, because it fitted well but, wasn't that comfy :p, made some cuts and there you go ! a well fitted forearm.

Also i wanted to put different layers in the forearm to make it cooler, so i did those pieces to put on the top of it, i did separate pieces... but i think that i could achieve the same effect if i make a whole piece instead and just make some little depth cuts and heat them, maybe i tried that later :p

Attached Files:

4. oswaldthegreat

oswaldthegreat Jr Member

Hehe... I'm not that great in real life . The reason I have so much respect and awe for you foam batman/nightwing builders is because I tried essentially this project a while back, and it utterly failed. Also, the fact that I was ginger made cosplaying as nightwing a bit unrealistic :)

5. oswaldthegreat

oswaldthegreat Jr Member

Any updates?

6. Luis Rodriguez

Yep :p !

i didn't had a lot of time to work on this lately because of work and school -_- ... anyways, i added to the forearm those things, i don't now if i like the way it looks, i'm gonna make the blades that goes on the side of the forearm and look how it works with 1 or 2 layer of black plastidip.

Attached Files:

7. DGKulprit6

DGKulprit6 New Member

Looks good, Are you reinforcing your foam with anything? I am just starting the design of my Nightwing and this will be my first Armor build.

8. Luis Rodriguez

Not yet, but i will ... i'll use black plastidip to seal it ( so i kill 2 birds with one stone :p ) and, in some of the pieces plastidip + mod podge to give another look to those pieces :p

9. Luis Rodriguez

Sunday update !! ....

i made another forearm and add the "blades " the glove in the picture is not the one i'm going to use i ordered a pair of tactical gloves at amazon along with a compression shirt and pants...i will add some more details to the forearms but i think the basic stuff is done :3

Attached Files:

StarHelix and George like this.
  10. oswaldthegreat

oswaldthegreat Jr Member

Looks awesome!

11. DGKulprit6

DGKulprit6 New Member

How are you planning on painting yours? I am having a problem with the paint building up on the outside rim of my foam. I used 3 layers of plastidip to seal it then used
    Krylon Paint+Primer spray paint.

12. Luis Rodriguez

Thanks ! ....

About the painting job, i'm thinking about it, i will use plastidip and then primer, after that i don't know if i'm going to use a spray can or acrilic paint .... i will choose when i get to that stage :p

13. NorthChatt

NorthChatt New Member

Awesome start to your NightWing build ! Plastidip is good for foam but it can create a build up. I've had great luck with Mod Podge as a sealer. Once dry, Krylon Short cuts & Testors model spray paint (because they don't require multiple coats AND 40 % off coupons at Michael's & Hobby Lobby.

Luis Rodriguez and DGKulprit6 like this.
  14. SMP Designs

SMP Designs Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is awesome! I'm loving the armored NW rather than the usual spandex or head-to-toe leather ones I see all the time. Your shaping and edges are beautiful. Looking forward to seeing it all come together!

My two-cents on the foam/PD/paint conversation: once you get the pieces built, if you pre-seal the raw foam with a heat gun, it really helps. The heat gun will collapse the cells on the surface of the foam and give you a better surface to coat.

Mod Podge is good for smaller areas but it can crack under stress, especially as it ages. Plasti-Dip is more flexible. If you use a rattle can of PD, shake the crap out of it often and keep the nozzle clean. If you use the brush on PD, keep some Naphtha in a bowl nearby to dip your applicator to thin and smooth it as you apply it. In hot weather you can watch it cure literally before your eyes.

For painting, I like Duplicolor adhesion promoter as a primer and automotive paint rattle cans. This gives a great metallic finish, but under stress, you can get hairline cracks. For my Old Republic armor (in my avatar), I base-coated with Krylon Plastic spray and then did all the detail paint with metallic acrylics and top coated it all with DuraClear.

Cheers!

DGKulprit6 likes this.
  15. Luis Rodriguez

Sorry for the lack of updates, this is the last month of college and i have been really busy with final projects and work

Anyway ! ... here is a little update, i recently got the " undersuit " wich actually is a compression shirt and pants and a pair of tactical gloves, i ordered both from amazon, also if you pay attention i added lines to the side of the gauntlets still need more work... i expect to finish the gauntlets this weekend.

And thank you for the tips you all ! i have been using the heat gun to seal and shape everything and i actually bought both, mod podge and plastidip, because i want to try different effects and looks on the armor, i have seen really good results from people that use both. Thank you guys :)

Attached Files:

George likes this.
  16. Luis Rodriguez

Small update.... i think that i wont be able to work on this project for the next... 2 weeks at least ( i'm going to graduate from university at the end of this month and i have to focus on that -_- ) buuut i have been working on make a better version of the gauntlets, because i wasn't satisfied with the ones i made before, i almost finished the gauntled today but, you know is Mother's day and i had to celebrate with my mom :p ... so here you go, i think it's cleaner, and i add more of that extra armor that is on the gauntlet, i like it so far :)

i know i't looks like i'm just doing a lot of gauntlets but it's my first time doing an EVA foam armor and i want to make it right ! ...

Stay tuned !

George likes this.
  17. Luis Rodriguez

Well, i finally finished college ! ( yaaay #iamanengineerwuuu ) i havebeen working again in this project after work :p and i got this .... the main shoulders, im going to put more layers of thinner foam on it to create the red stripe that goes from the chest symbol to the hands. I used the videos from Evil Ted Smith channel as a reference to create this shoulder armor ( the firs try looks more like a breastplate jaja ) what do you think ?

Also i glued the forearm that i post before but didn't take any picture of it... i will take it when i get the " Official " pair done :p

thanks !

Attached Files:

George likes this.
  18. oswaldthegreat

oswaldthegreat Jr Member

Congrats on finishing college! Your build looks really clean and neat. Awesome!

19. Luis Rodriguez

well, i added 2 pieces of different thickness to the shoulder armor ( actually have a little accident -_- ...when i was starting to join the upper part i realized that the piece was upside down D: so i pulled it and a little bit of the edge fell of... i'll sand it or something :p ) and glued the forearm completely ( finally :p ) i think that their twin pieces ( shoulder and forearm) will come out faster, now that i have the right templates.

Attached Files:

SMP Designs and George like this.
  20. Luis Rodriguez

The progress from today !

Attached Files:

George and DGKulprit6 like this.
  21. DGKulprit6

DGKulprit6 New Member

What kind of foam are you using? Ive been getting the sheets from my local fabric store (Michaels, and Hobby Lobby) and they dont look like what you are using.

22. Luis Rodriguez

weird ! :O ... i got the foam from micheals too ( they have letter size foam sheets, 1/4" of thickness ) and i bought a big anti-fatigue mat roll from walmart. that's all man.
    they are different though, the foam from walmart it's like ... ugly jaja , and the sheets from micheals looks really cool. the previous pic, almost all the pieces are made from the foam from micheals the only piece that is from the foam that i bought from walmart is the piece that is between the chest and the abs, the one that looks like a seagull :p

23. DGKulprit6

DGKulprit6 New Member

Ive been having issues getting the paint to look right, ive been experimenting on scarps for awhile and they all just look sponge-y. even after i modgepodge or plastidip them.

24. Luis Rodriguez

Well, i did seal my foam first with my heath gun, did you try that before plastidip and mod podge ? ...

i did a little progress today, made the pieces that are like... rib cage armor ? anyway :p ... i haven't glued nothing these days because is * hot outside and i really don't want to turn off the A/C to open the window of my room ( i'm using contact cement ) so i'm working just in cut and design. still have a lot of work xD

I'm still thinking about the legs... i think i'm gonna do something like what DynamiteWebber did with his new 52 nightwing cosplay ( amazing ! ) but i don't know yet what kind of shoes i'm gonna wear -_- ...any advice ?

25. Luis Rodriguez

Legs Legs Legs .... Happy father's day !

Attached Files:

26. barneystinson

barneystinson New Member

I was wondering how you plan to attach this to your compression shirt? And be able to keep your mobility to move?

27. Luis Rodriguez

Straps and velcro ! .... at first i thought that i could just use contact cement on the undersuit and the armor but ... i didn't figure out how to do that, in a way that the armor pieces were aligned and everything... so i'm taking the straps and velcro way :p, besides i only have two more weeks to finish this before SDCC and i don't have a lot of free time D:

28. Luis Rodriguez

well... i think today made a lot of progress :p ... put the velcro and the straps to the knee and shin armor, also i made a mask... it's not what i wanted, i bought latex and a friend was supposed to helped me to make a mold of my face and all, but my friend is really busy and can't help me right now and is too late to order one from tiger stone FX , so... i worked with what i have :p ....

i thought that would be cool add detail to some of the pieces with .... puppet eyes ! xD haha they look nice once you painted them ... you still can hear the eyes moving though.
    Also i join the abs armor because i think that is going to be easier attach them to the undersuit that way.

i began to put plastidip to some pieces that are finished, like one forearm, the abs and the mask... this week i'll be working on the back and if i have the time the escrima sticks... so i can do paint job, the next weekend, i would like to give a carbon fiber look to some of the pieces, i haven't do that before but i hope that turns out well :)

any thoughts ? suggestions ? ...

Time goes so fast :( ... SDCC Is Coming, valar morghulis u_u

williamsboy likes this.
  29. Reznor9

Reznor9 Sr Member

Looking great! * wish I could go to the SDCC. Couldn't get tickets and I'll be in town that week too. Can't wait to see your finished build!

30. SMP Designs

Awesome progress! Looking forward to seeing it all together.

On the carbon fiber texture, you could try getting door screen (you can usually get it in rolls at the hardware store). Cut that to the size of the pieces and contact cement it down. Then, coat over it with your ModPodge and Plastidip. That screen is pretty flexible and can be molded around complex curves (like the chest and shoulders) as long as they aren't too crazy.

Cheers!

31. Luis Rodriguez

Interesting SMP ....i'll try to get some of that door screen to try it thanks for the tip :D .... today i tried the " trick " of the caron fiber effect made with those anti slip mats... but maybe it's not that good or i did it wrong xD haha i didn't take a picture of it, but i'll do it later to show you my mess :p ( i tried on a scrap piece )

today i plastidiped the shin armor and painted, the logo ... i didn;t like it at the start but, after some more layers of paint i did like it :p ....i decided to leave the black parts just with the black plastidip... i think that looks cool that way.

It's the first time i paint something with spray paint .... when i did my Red hood Helmet i use a borrewed airbrush ( great results ! ) but this time my friend could not borrow his airbrush :/

What do you think ? :D

Thanks !

Attached Files:

SMP Designs likes this.
  32. oswaldthegreat

oswaldthegreat Jr Member

Looks awesome.

33. Luis Rodriguez

Ugh i hate sewing the velcro .... do you know if i can use contact cement to attach the foam pieces to my undersuit ? ...i think i can, but i don't know how... i think that i would need to have some kind of mannequin or something like that , or maybe wear my undersuit with another clothes under the undersuit so the contact cement don't touch my skin .... what do you think ? that would be easier ?

34. SMP Designs

Have you thought about using neodymium magnets? You can cement them to the foam and then just use them on the inside of the under suit to snap them in place. They're crazy strong and your pieces will be removable for cleaning and touch ups.

35. Luis Rodriguez

That would be great.... can i found them at home depot ( any other hardware/ craft store ) or do i need to order them online D: ?

36. SMP Designs

I can usually find them at Michael's. Amazon.com has tons of them in all different sizes - even curved ones.

37. Luis Rodriguez

i found the magnets at home depot 12 per pack ( at micheals they only sell you 6 per pack and are more expensive ...like a dollar expensive :p ) buuuut when i arrive at home, my mom ask me " how are you going to attach that to your suit ? " and she look at the magnets and .... well, she decided that she would help me to sew the velcro to the undersuit, i guess she didn't like the magnets idea haha, and yes she sew all the upper armor velcros in like an hour o_O by hand... so, thanks mom !.... i just need to finish the back and i'll see if i can finish the escrima sticks...

Well.. here is a couple of pictures of the progress( i hate the flash of my phone but my room don't have a good lighting) , need to put plastidip on the left forearm and paint it, i really didn't know what to do with the biceps, i had another ideas but those would take more time ( that i don't have, i'll be going to comic-con from friday ) and take something inspired by the Dynamite Webber's Nightwing costume.

i'll be posting a Fit-test soon :)

Thanks !

williamsboy likes this.
  38. ArborTrafalgar

ArborTrafalgar New Member

Looks incredible all laid out. Can't wait to see it finished!

39. Luis Rodriguez

Hi !

here are some pictures from comic-con .... the costume is 90% finished i think , i still want to add some neck armor, the things on the sides of the abs ( i already made those but didn't had the time to attach them to the undersuit) add more details to the legs and make the sticks .... i like the results so far :)

ps. my girlfriend made her katana's cosplay two days before :p ... i helped her to made the mask and the knee pads.

Attached Files:

williamsboy and STARL0RD like this.
  40. TheBeast284

TheBeast284 New Member

I have a question, PLEASE reply quick! What did you do for the thigh armor?

41. Eijikatsu

Eijikatsu New Member

hello, can i ask where you got your template for the body? thanks

42. Luis Rodriguez

I made it ! I used different Nightwing images as a guide.

williamsboy and Eijikatsu like this.
  43. Eijikatsu

Eijikatsu New Member

ooh, thanks !

44. williamsboy

williamsboy New Member

Great build Luis. Very inspirational watching your ingenuity during the process. I'm looking forward to more builds from you. Thanks for sharing your talents!

Luis Rodriguez likes this.