Nightwing Cosplay: Where to start

Popkulture

I'm brand new to this forumn, so hopefully I don't irritate anyone. Anywho

On October 13th I'm going to a con, I would like to make a Nightwing costume to wear. Previously I've made plenty of EVA armors and weapons, but I decided that I wanted to go mostly fabric for this character since he is supposed to be acrobatic.

This is the design I came up with
20190809_152809.jpg

I'm still deciding about materials, I just recently learned about the idea of screen printing textures on to spandex to make it look textured. I'd love some insight on that, but thats for a different thread. I had imagined the construction of this suit to be similar to the Netflix Daredevil suit, lots of armored fabric.

My big issue at the moment is that I really don't have any sewing experience or background in fabric work, I've always specialized in armor. I read a few tutorials from SMP Designs, but I reckon those aren't really made for beginners. I've considered comissioning someone else to make the costume for me, but most good makers charge upwards of $1000. My budget was $500.

Most tutorials I've looked at have proven really unhelpful for this project. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on tutorials or good places to start for an overambitious designer like myself. You guys all seem really knowledgeable so I figured I'd ask.

Cheers!

montysaurus

Somewhat Stretchy : Catsuit patterns and more This site can show you how to draft a catsuit pattern or you can use a store bought one. Look for men's sewing pattern with the terms such as catsuit, superhero, speed skating, or body suit. McCall's pattern 7340 is one example. Look at tutorial that explain how to sew lycra spandex or other stretch fabrics. Its slightly different to work with. You need a sewing machine with a stretch stitch or at least a zigzag stitch. You'll want to use a round point needle so not to damage the material. You'll want 4 way stretch material. Heavier weight spandex will be slightly warmer, but give it more of the superhero feel. Also for the faux leather parts, use stretch pleather. Again 4 way stretch pleather is a better choice.

Popkulture

Somewhat Stretchy : Catsuit patterns and more This site can show you how to draft a catsuit pattern or you can use a store bought one. Look for men's sewing pattern with the terms such as catsuit, superhero, speed skating, or body suit. McCall's pattern 7340 is one example. Look at tutorial that explain how to sew lycra spandex or other stretch fabrics. Its slightly different to work with. You need a sewing machine with a stretch stitch or at least a zigzag stitch. You'll want to use a round point needle so not to damage the material. You'll want 4 way stretch material. Heavier weight spandex will be slightly warmer, but give it more of the superhero feel. Also for the faux leather parts, use stretch pleather. Again 4 way stretch pleather is a better choice.
I'll start looking into it. Thank you so much!