Nightmare on Elm Street STA AWAKE prop replica

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by ob1al, May 7, 2006.

1. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

I'm hoping that someone here with a talent for graphics will be able to recreate this STA AWAKE pill bottle label (from the original Nightmare on Elm Street) as a paper prop:

[​IMG]

For those with Freddy gloves / NOES displays I thought it would make a nice little addition. :)

Also, can anyone identify the plastic bottle used?

Thanks

Alan

2. Imperialknight

Imperialknight Well-Known Member

The Bottle looks like a Tylenol Bottle.

3. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Imperialknight @ May 7 2006, 07:07 PM) [snapback]1240014[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, that was fast. :D

I don't think we have that here in the UK, but I found this image:

[​IMG]

4. DarthCalibar

DarthCalibar Well-Known Member

Just made this. The text for the word "AWAKE" was a bit off but i think it looks ok. I'm sure someone could do a bit better if they found the correct text. I measured a tylenol bottle and it should be the right size when printed out. I just did the part i could see in your refrence shot, so if anyone knows of anything on the other side post another screen cap. Also if you look down to the left of the word "FAST" there looks to be something else written but i couldnt make it out. Hope this works for ya.

-Zach
    [​IMG]

5. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

6. DarthCalibar

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sith Sheriff Brody @ May 7 2006, 04:47 PM) [snapback]1240206[/snapback]</div>

I thought it might but i wasnt quite sure, if anyone else has a better screen cap please post it. itd be easy to fix if it does say "fast acting"

noble likes this.
  7. frosty

frosty Sr Member

Great idea, yeah i could use one of those for sure ;)

8. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Can someone with the DVD to hand post a couple of extra screengrabs?

Perhaps there is a capture which will allow us to decipher the small text, plus resolve the acting / action question.

9. motman241

motman241 Well-Known Member

That's a great prop idea. I've been seriously looking at doing some Hypnocyl (the ficticious anti-dream medicine). These are nice, easy props to do. :)

10. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Hypnocil. Good idea - was it ever seen on screen?

And how about those extra screencaps on the STA AWAKE? Can anyone oblige?

11. Atarian

Atarian Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Briefly in part 3. Nancy drops her purse and the hypnocil bottle falls out (how convienient.). And it was a major part of Freddy vs. Jason, but I dont think we ever really see it.

12. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(creamedgeezer @ May 8 2006, 06:50 PM) [snapback]1240628[/snapback]</div>
    Oh yeah, I remember that scene in part 3, now you mention it. Something about it being 'experimental'. :p

13. DarthCalibar

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sith Sheriff Brody @ May 7 2006, 04:47 PM) [snapback]1240206[/snapback]</div>
    [​IMG]

Anyone willing to offer a few more screen grabs so further corrections can be made?

14. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Great work.

Now, we really need those extra screengrabs to confirm the ACTING / ACTION question, and what DOES that small text say?

I wish I had a copy of NOES on DVD - I only have a VHS copy so can't get screengrabs unfortunately.

I think I'll pick up a copy on DVD anyway, so at worst I'll have some better grabs up in a few days from now.

15. Endless Wonder

Endless Wonder Sr Member

I saved this from a board awhile back. I can't remember who originally posted it, though
    [​IMG]
    Pretty good shot of the small text.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Perfect - thanks for those.

Anyone care to take a stab at deciphering the small text?

17. DarthCalibar

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ob1al @ May 8 2006, 02:36 PM) [snapback]1240816[/snapback]</div>
    I zoomed in on it and changed the brightness/contrast to no end and cant read any of the small text. Best solution would probably be to read some warnings of other medicine and make something up to put there. Just a thought. Anyone else? any other ideas?

18. motman241

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ob1al @ May 8 2006, 02:36 PM) [snapback]1240816[/snapback]</div>
    I watched the movie, and can't make anything out in that. I manipulated the photos already posted, and can't really make anything out in those, either. You can see that it's two words, all lowercase letters, except for what appear to be a dotted 'j' or 'i', and a 'p', 'g', or 'q' as the first letter of the second word. We might be able to guess what it might say. In the end, if we can't figure it out for sure, nobody else can on the prop, either. ;)

Maybe looking at some other (real) pill bottles may reveal some likely words.

19. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

20. motman241

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ob1al @ May 9 2006, 10:06 AM) [snapback]1241103[/snapback]</div>
    'Non' is too short. Needs to be a longer word. But, like I said, it could be anything, since nobody can prove it wrong. ;)

21. motman241

Looking at it fresh this morning, I think the second word is 'percent'.

22. DarthCalibar

http://www.medicinenet.com/caffeine_tablets-oral/article.htm

check out that site. I dont think its possible to read those small words, I tried using some side effects and instructions from the site above, but when i go to make it small it becomes just a blur of pixels that arent readable. anyone have a way of making text that small thats actually readable? I can barely read it once i get it down to size 3 or 4, and to fit on the bottle sideways like that it would have to be like 1.5 or 2. And as for "Non drowsy" I would hope a stay awake pill would be non drowsy. lol :lol

23. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

It doesn't seem to be a real word at all - the more I look at it, the more I think its just gobbledygook...I don't know, maybe it will suddenly fall into place and become clear to one of us. I've tried manipulating the images also, to no avail...

With regard to the small text on the back of the label, it's gonna be immpossible to determine unless we find out who has the original prop. I'll bet that there are a few inside jokes on there though, so we could try to piece something similar together ourselves. Maybe have the drug made by 'Springfield Pharmaceuticals'. :p

24. TK171

TK171 Well-Known Member

Cool prop.

Should there be gray shading or an outline around the "AWAKE"?
    [​IMG]

could use something from the "STAY AWAKE" bottle- for the small text...??

25. motman241

Between the two pictures, the words look different. But, for length of word, and context, how about "maximum strength"?

26. dkwd

dkwd Well-Known Member

the back part of the second word looks like ---est - it almost seems like pccest, which sadly makes no sense.

David

27. DarthCalibar

tweaked it a little bit, added the gray outline, changed the blue to a bit darker blue.

The second word looks like it says "geeest" or "peccest" really doesnt make sense at all.
    maybe those words arent reffering to the effects of the medicine, maybe like a fake company name or something. Or it could just be Some nonesense they put on there to make it look more like a real bottle of pills knowing no one would ever have a chance to read it

28. motman241

Perhaps we can get a count on letters in the words, and someone can browse a Scrabble dictionary, or crossword dictionary. I'm playing with Dictionary.com, but not having much luck.

29. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

I've been trying to do just that, but with little success so far.

I wish we could ascertain where the pic of the prop came from (not the movie still, the 'faded' prop posted earlier in the thread). If we could track down the owner, perhaps he or she would be kind enough to share the texts, allowing us to create a truly accurate prop replica.

Failing that, I hope its still possible that the breakthrough will come and we will 'crack the code' on the two small words - as for the text on the back of the label, without knowledge of the actual prop we will just have to make it up as we go...

30. Endless Wonder

Endless Wonder Sr Member

31. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Angelus @ May 10 2006, 01:45 AM) [snapback]1241642[/snapback]</div>
    I just sent an email, so with some luck we will hear something back soon.

32. Ben_Forsaken

Ben_Forsaken Active Member

yeah that's PropKings old 'Sta-Wake' bottle prop. He's got lots of cool horror props.

33. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Right - I have the information we need. Big thanks to the previous owner of the screen used prop for generously providing this information - thanks Rich.

Before we proceed, I just want to stress that although its going to be very cool to have fairly accurate replicas for our collection, the last thing we want is for some scumbag to make one of these and try to pass it off as the actual screen used prop on eBay. There was only one screen used prop, already in the hands of a collector. To anyone considering this, please know that we will be watching...just wanted to make that clear, on behalf of myself (and I'm sure the vast majority of people here) and of course our source for this information.

Right, that said, here's the good stuff:-

And I will add this too for good measure:

No wonder we couldn't figure out the small text.

OK - we should be able to piece this together quite nicely now I hope - maybe you graphics gurus can come up with a revised label with this information in mind, including the text on the back of the bottle?

Regards

Al

PS - can some kindly soul in the US please send me an empty Tylenol Bottle??

34. motman241

All the other writing wrapped around the back, can be copied from any medicine bottle. That would be the stuff that says "Take only under a doctor's care, don't operate heavy equipment while taking this, approved by the FDA", etc, etc.

Maybe we weren't so wrong with our guesses of random letters. :)

Anyone find the "Lorum Ipsum" yet, and make out what the words are?

35. DarthCalibar

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(motman241 @ May 11 2006, 11:12 AM) [snapback]1242690[/snapback]</div>
    I looked thru a few sites and all i got was very very confused. :confused

36. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

37. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

BUMP.

And for good measure, here's another good possibility to display alongside the STA-AWAKE prop:

[​IMG]

38. motman241

Awesome screen cap.

Any final word on the Sta-Awake bottle?

39. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(motman241 @ May 16 2006, 09:27 PM) [snapback]1245252[/snapback]</div>
    I'll be posting some new screencaps shortly, after which I hope DarthCaliber can adjust his label to incorporate the new information.

In the meantime, here's another screengrab from Dream Warriors which may help with teh blurb on the Hypnocil bottle:

[​IMG]

More later...

40. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Right here goes - screencaps galore:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The remainder of the writing on the back is, as we know, just nonsense words. Here is a sample of Lorum Ipsum we can use on the back, I have based it on approximately 13 lines of text - these words can be manipulated at will to try and match what we see on the screengrabs, as they really don't mean anything:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.
    Pellentesque vestibulum justo at felis. Curabitur vel diam.
    Quisque tempor laoreet risus. Cras posuere viverra massa.
    Vivamus ullamcorper pede et pede tristique tempor.
    Curabitur nec pede. Nullam at orci. Donec vitae felis.
    Suspendisse potenti. Nullam tempus dictum mi.
    Donec mollis, velit et viverra molestie, lacus metus
    fermentum libero, nec venenatis magna magna quis enim.
    Praesent porta eros sit amet mi. Nulla ut libero id tellus
    vehicula aliquet. Mauris blandit. Donec massa.
    Mauris vitae nisl in lorem ultrices mattis. Donec viverra congue nulla.
    Donec ante erat, condimentum vel, sollicitudin ut,
    sollicitudin sagittis, nunc. Sed rutrum vestibulum mauris.

Which all means diddly-squat in reality, but will look good on the bottle and we kinow it is the same format as the original prop used.

Regards,

Al

41. DarthCalibar

Ok, I added that paragraph... but its unreadable. I just cant make it small enough without sacrificing text quality. I guess it doesnt matter since its jibberish anyways. looks pretty good.

lemme know what ya think.

PS: if anyone wants to try to improve on mine that has a way of making the text readable go right ahead.

42. DarthCalibar

Cough*bump*Cough

43. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(DarthCalibar @ May 17 2006, 05:54 PM) [snapback]1245704[/snapback]</div>
    Great work mate - I'm looking forward to printing one out ant trying it on a bottle. Thankfully, I should be having a bottle shipped to me soon so I'll post some pics when it arrives. :D

Now, how about that Hypnocil label...? ;)

44. DarthCalibar

Started on the hypnocil label, need some more screen caps to further progress.

anybody..?

45. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Unfortunately, its in shot so fleetingly that this is the best I could get:

[​IMG]

As far as I recall, its not featured anywhere else in the movie, so unless production images of the prop exist elsewhere our refer3ence material is rather limited. I'll see if I can capture it from a slightly different frame to see if any of the hidden text shows up at all.

Here's what we can see so far, with portions of the text missing or very difficult to read:

Valley Drugs

58797 ...............

Nancy Thompson

1 or 2 for ..................

HYPNOCIL E............

.... Date 5/89 4/3/89

CAUTION.....CAN...............................................

46. DarthCalibar

Ok, just got done with this (for now). Lemme know what you think.

still dont know what else to add to it for the parts unseen on the other side.

47. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(DarthCalibar @ May 20 2006, 01:39 AM) [snapback]1247204[/snapback]</div>
    That's great - thanks. :D :thumbsup

Do you think there needs to something on the reverse?

48. DarthCalibar

I dont really think it needs anything else except the one line that isnt finished

1 or 2 for......?

When left like that it doesnt make any sense. If anyone has any suggestions? maybe 1 or 2 for 24 Hrs. ?
    Like you said, theres no getting a better screen cap, so we just need to think up something to finish that one line.

49. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

1 or 2 for......? Sleep anxiaty?

50. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Here's an extra screencap:

[​IMG]

After the word HYPNOCIL I think it says 60 mg

It almost looks like 1 or 2 for 3..........hours? Days? :confused

Then again, itc ould be an 'S' - 1 or 2 for sleep ??