Nightmare Alley - new Guillermo del Toro film

It's a shame this is gonna get buried by No Way Home. After Del Toro's comeback (maybe not to full form) with The Shape of Water, I'm all for Nightmare Alley. I'll be seeing this first, and in the theater!

Yeah, kind of a bold choice to drop this the same day as No Way Home, though I suppose there’s not necessarily the biggest crossover in audiences between the two. It looks fun to me, though, so I’m definitely going to check this out in theaters.

I've been going through Del Toro's work recently and caught this after watching his Pinocchio, and I think my admiration for this film grows more and more. This may be his best film since Pan's Labyrinth. It's not as original as his more personal works but this was his most solid and consistent outing as a film-maker in a long time. Certainly the best of his English-language films. He really shows that he does know what he's doing in how he directs actors and composes shots. I miss his more fantastic elements that I associate to his name but this isn't that kind of film, and I think I appreciate that restraint a lot more. When it comes to his more fantastic films now, he goes all out for the design elements and really skimps on performances, characters, and story and those draw me a lot more than his beautiful monsters. It's icing on the cake when it all comes together. Shape of Water, Crimson Peak, and Pinocchio have their strong suits but for every one thing brilliant thing he does in them, I find that there's another thing after it that just falls short and it leads to something uneven.

Nightmare Alley doesn't offer much different than the original other than a longer run time, but it stays consistently high-performing. It's a solid film and being we're in the time of his career where he offers either something solid but restrained on his imagination, or full of imagination but kind of clumsy...I think I'd prefer the former.

Agreed, not his best effort. And he left out the most interesting element of the novel, which is a mistake (honestly, I didn't think the book was that great, either). Adds so much depth.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back