Nickelodeon's TMNT's 2015 Halloween Costume Contest Entry

nbehling

Hey guys,
I have to admit I have been struggling a little bit to come up with plan for my next project. I have always wanted a TMNT costume but felt I could never do it justice. With all the buzz about the new movie coming out (wether it's good or bad). I feel like now is the time to do one of my own.

a full 1990 movie suit is a bit out of the question for me but I have a couple ideas.
First Idea was to sculpt a mask arms and hands and do the trench coat look. It would still have movie likeness to the scene but have a lot less detailed parts.
12293076216_ba54045e21_o.jpg
The second option and possibly more fun would be the Nickelodeon TMNT version.
Esq-081613-Real-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles.jpgScreen Shot 2014-04-02 at 1.53.46 PM.png
Looks like it would be a lot of foam and lycra and a plastic shell. They seem like they would be easy to move in and since they already made live promo versions of them I have a lot of reference photos.

Any thoughts, concerns, opinions, or tips on how \ which one I should tackle?

Thanks

Last edited:
Re: Nickelodeon's TMNT Promo costume

I've been thinking about building one of the nick show suits too. They seem like they would be much easier to build and get to good look (easier then the movie suits anyway). Whichever you choose, I will be looking this thread with great interest! :)

i was looking at doing the nick costumes as well. im thinking of using couch foam to build the majority of it then of course skin it with another fabric of some sort. im guessing this is how these were made any other guesses at how?

I'm back, It has been almost a year since I last thought about this project. But I come bearing progress.
I was motivated to go out, create something, and share it. (thanks Eric)
So i figured why not work on my turtle concept

I took this toy head from a tmnt bubble bottle and covered it in painters taped. Traced the contour cut them out, scaled it up, and made foam templates. then i grabbed the plans to this ninja turtle papercraft that was for a 20 cm model and did the same. Neither one was perfect but the combination turned out ok.
IMG_0735.jpgtmnt-leonardo-papercraft.jpgIMG_0737.jpgIMG_0733.jpg

I combined the two patterns and got a non de-script turtle head. I have some work to do on the face slope but some of that will be cured with the mask.
Right now it looks most like Donny. I am going to cover this in upholstery foam and skin it in material. If i like the size, shape, and finish i will use it as a guide to make all four heads. With some modification and facial expression I am pretty sure i can make it look like all four turtles.
IMG_0729.jpgIMG_0730.jpgIMG_0731.jpgIMG_0734.jpg

I am really interested in building a Nickelodeon TMNT suit too. Not sure where to start. Have you made any progress since your last post, nbehling? It looks like you have a great start.

If you want do a search for michaelangelo costume here. I did this costume for Halloween last year. Exactly what your looking for

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.therpf.com/f24/2014-halloween-costume-contest-entry-build-thread-michaelangelo-cartoon-version-226666/?highlight=Michaelangelo

Here is an update with a ton of progress.
Since I last posted I have completed to many tasks to mention but i will try. So here are some photos to help explain where I am. Feel free to ask questions.

Update in no particular order

Carboard reinforced with expanding foam shell.
Feet, hand, front shell patterns made and replicated.
Spandex cut sewn streched and glued.
One turtle to near completion.
Now in production mode to create three more before halloween.

IMG_1681.jpgIMG_1686.jpgIMG_1722.JPGIMG_1725.jpg

Raph is nearing completion and now I am making the rest of the turtles. I have gone into mass production mode. I spent the night last night making 6 more arms.

I am going to provide pictures of my custom templates so others can maybe get some ideas and use them.
IMG_1745.jpgScreen Shot 2015-10-06 at 1.21.06 PM.png

Mass production of arms are completed. Also the side (ribs?) of the shell are cut out and ready to have the spandex glued on. I would say that I am a couple days ahead of schedule. I went ahead and put a tape measure on the picture in case someone wants to create on themselves. Hopefully they can use it as a reference.
IMG_1772.jpgIMG_1773.jpgIMG_1774.jpg

More mass production. The legs are done the front shells are done. Leo's head is finally complete. I wanted to show off my collection. Time to wrap it all in spandex.
IMG_1785.JPGIMG_1786.JPG

I spent last night making 3 more shells. After I finish the gluing it all together i will put some expanding foam on the inside to help reinforce it.
IMG_1494.jpgIMG_1808.jpgIMG_1813.jpgIMG_1814.jpgIMG_1817.jpgIMG_1821.JPG

Thanks JmanTurtleMan,
I found a papercraft Leo online and enlarged it. As it turns out, It was to blocky for a human sized head.

If you look at the second post I showed how i covered a toy in tape and cut the pattern off. I took a picture of the pieces and autotraced them in illustrator. It took a couple tries but i got the proportions i was looking for.

After I finished the first head (mikey) i made slight adjustments to the pattern in order to get different shaped cheeks, beaks, and head dome.

I will looks for my pattern. I got a new computer. If i still have it i will send you the file. If it's lost i will take a picture of the pattern.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back