Next up, Budd's Sword from Kill Bill

jblakey

Picked up a used Masahiro Budd's Sword / Katana from eBay a couple of weeks ago, and finally got around to picking up the parcel. I thought this sword might have a good chance of being a reasonable replica with a bit of work, and it looks like that's going to be the case.

I knew going in that the handle fittings (fuchi/kashira/menuki) were not accurate and would need replacing. I was hoping the saya would be OK, and the engraving on the blade would be accurate. Well, I guess one out of two isn't bad. The saya isn't awful, but instead of using rattan for the wrap, it looks like some kind of thin plastic was used. It's hard to believe that was cheaper than rattan, but maybe it was easier to source. The engraving is surprisingly very accurate. It's etched, not carved, but it looks like Masahiro worked from a screen capture to make their template. Very close to the OP, IMHO.

So, now I need to order up some fittings and some Japanese black cotton ito (handle wrap cord) for the rewrap. I'm going to replace the seppa, tsuba, fuchi/kashira, menuki, sageo, and silver plate the habaki. That seems like a lot, now that I think about it, for what's a pretty close replica out of the box. Well, everybody's got their own crazy, I guess:) And then I have to rework the saya a bit...:)

Thanks,
jason

Attachments

• IMG_3174.JPG
    IMG_3174.JPG
    546.4 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_3180.JPG
    IMG_3180.JPG
    538.7 KB · Views: 275
  • vlcsnap-2011-04-22-13h40m53s155.png
    vlcsnap-2011-04-22-13h40m53s155.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 665
It's a start! The engraving on the blade looks pretty good though. I'm sure you know the problems that come from these china made swords!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back