Newest Bossk on the Block!

Bossk

This costume is my debut into the realm of Science Fiction (as I define the Draconian as "fantasy"), and was created to become a member of the Midsouth Garrision of the 501st. I enjoy reptilian characters, something that goes back to a love of dinosaurs and collecting snakes and lizards since I was a kid. (And even today I have several large Tegu and Monitor lizards, and a pair of alligators!).

Bossk is rarely depicted in costume, despite his popularity as action figures, busts an statues. And while there are some good masks and limb casts, I never saw what I thouht was a 'screen accurate' Bossk costume.

The greatest shortcoming in most Bossk costumes is the flightsuit, and this subject has its own topic here on RPF. Most suits used in costues are simply yellow cotton coveralls, and simply look, and are, wrong. In fact, it.I was while seeking information as to the actual suit Bossk was wearing, that I was first introduced to Replica Prop Forum. Down in Flames did an excellent job of tracking down the true origins of the real RAF flight suit that was the costume Bossk wears.

This was another reason I wanted to do Bossk, for his costume was a real 1960's vintage pilot's pressure suit, and since I collected aviation gear anyway, it was more interesting recreating something 'real' to me, than making a purely fantasy flight suit.

My suit, (which several people thought was a real piece of aviation gear), is a modified vintage USAF flight suit which had many of the same characteristics as the Bossk flightsuit. At first glance, the color and construction suggests it is a hard hat, deep sea diviing suit, and in fact, the Company that made the Windak flight suit, also made diving suits and the resemblance is no coincidence. All of the outer seams of the Bossk suit appear to be covered in a cloth tape, while a blue windak suit worn by Bo Shek in Star Wars has visible stitched seams. I believe the blue suit is a later model, while Bossk's suit, made like the company's diving suits, wasprobably the earliest version. My USAF suit had taped seams on the inside, so it was turned inside out and dyed the same mustard yellow-tan of Bossk's suit.

Like a diving suit, there is a black rubber planchard around the neck that some costumers have mistaken as a vest. I believe the Windak suit of Bossk had the same kind of horizontal breast opening, as can be seen in my Bossk Avatar image.

All metal fittings on the original costume were made in real metal. A longtime member here, "Tambo" made the D-Rings and U - ejector out of aircraft aluminum on base. All pieces were copied as closely as possible.

I selected what I thought were the best head and arm castings, each from different sculptor. The "see through" eyes on all of the Bossk costumes I looked at didn't seem very convincing, so instead of looking out of Bossk's eyes, I had high quality glass taxidermy eyes made, and instead opted to look out of Bossk's mouth. This, and the large feet incresed Bossk's height from my normal 6 foot 2 inches, to about 6 foot 10 inches, making the character look very intimidating. None of the commercial Bossk feet were big enough for my size 13 feet, so I scratch built them over some rubber overshoes, buiding up the toes with hot glue, and molding the claws from latex. Each scale was cut out by hand and glued to the feet.

I was able to fit a bicycle helmet inside the mask, which makes wearing it more comfortable, and also fills the mask out better.

The weapon is built around an old paint ball gun with the barrel made from a U.S. Army camouflage netting support pole. Tambo gave me the two cast resin scopes. The stock is from an Iraqi AK-47, taken off during the Persian Gulf War before we burnt a bunch of weapons.

These are the first photos I obtained since the costume debuted in its finished form last Saturday. I am expecting some better photos including a 'battle' with an excellent Chewbaca reconstruction, and will post additional photos on this thread as they are obtained.

I will be bringing this Costume to the Star Wars event at the Huntsville Space Center, and also the Celebration V this year, if I am able to make it.

Last edited:
You're right, theres not enough Bossk costumers out there! One of my fave characters and you've done a fine job, would love to see some bigger pics!

Great stuff!

Fantastic job! Bossk is definitely one of the least represented Star Wars characters out there....its good to see another quality one.

Fantastic job! Bossk is definitely one of the least represented Star Wars characters out there....its good to see another quality one.

Thanks WC.
Actually Bossk has done pretty well for himself with fans, figures, busts, costume builders, etc, considering he is only on screen for less than a minute!

Is there any other SW character seen so little, yet has this level of popularity?

Last edited:
Great Costume , I'm going to the Huntsville , AL space center exhibit as well. From the decatur area originally so It will be a quick jump. Will have to watch out for you and get some good images.

Thanks WC.
Actually Bossk has done pretty well for himself with fans, figures, busts, costume builders, etc, considering he is only on screen for less than a minute!

Is there any other SW character seen so little, yet has this level of popularity?

Umm... Boba Fett? :lol

Seriously tho. Great costume! Another one I should say. I've only seen a couple of Bossks done and this one takes the cake.

Ever thought about maybe wearing a black stocking over your head so you don't see face in the mouth? There was one up-close shot where I could see your face between the teeth. Which kind of works tho as it looks like bosk just ate a dude. :lol

Looking forward to seeing the next project you post.

That photo with you and the wookie: if you're 6' 10" that Wookie must be 8.5'!

Great costume. Bossk was one of my favorite action figures as a kid. Had two of them.

That photo with you and the wookie: if you're 6' 10" that Wookie must be 8.5'!

Great costume. Bossk was one of my favorite action figures as a kid. Had two of them.

Thanks, Exo.

Correct. The Wookie is wearing stilts. I have tried them before and they are pretty cool, but you are very restricted while in costume. In fact, he is going to change his costume back to just elevated shoes so he can be more maneuverable, but much shorter too! He will probably end up just a tad taller than 'Bossk'.

There were some pictures taken at this event of Bossk and the Wookie in mock battle but I haven't seen them yet. I'll post them on this thread eventually.

Last edited:
Umm... Boba Fett? :lol

Seriously tho. Great costume! Another one I should say. I've only seen a couple of Bossks done and this one takes the cake.

Ever thought about maybe wearing a black stocking over your head so you don't see face in the mouth? There was one up-close shot where I could see your face between the teeth. Which kind of works tho as it looks like bosk just ate a dude. :lol

Looking forward to seeing the next project you post.

Yeah, but Boba must have had at least THREE minutes of airtime, compared to Bossk's less than one minute.

You saw a human face in Bossk's mouth? Are you sure you aren't confusing Bossk with the Drakonian? But yes, I had a black stocking for the Draconian, cut lost it in the confusion on contest preperation.

I will present a new costume soon, and it will be QUITE a bit different!

Tambo, post that picture with the tongue in his nose.

Yeah, it definitely looked like Bossk had eaten some dude. It was pretty cool.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back