Newbie's first suit

Gael

So, I've been lurking this forum for a while now (2 years) and finally decided to sit down and try to make a suit. Unfortunately, I started around the 1st of October, and had to have it ready by the 28th. I'm a girl, so I tried to "feminize" the costume a bit, but it didn't turn out exactly as I had envisioned. It was pretty amusing having everyone think I was a guy though. =)

Anyway, pics are below. Most of my templates/research/techniques were gleaned from threads by ShockWolf and Vinman, so thanks to both of them if they're still around! Comments are welcome, but cut me some slack. I've never made a costume before, and this was a bit of a rush job. :lol:

This is the only pic of the back I have. (Taken after a 3-mile run in that getup, so the feet had to come off.)

Obligatory action shot:

Mask: I tried to buy one off Amazon to modify, but that didn't work out at all. So I used the Pepakura model that's been floating around.

Couple of paint drips, but I sort of liked the look it gave and left it like that.

I bought some hands off Amazon and added my own blades to look a little better. They ended up being kinda sharp and keep getting caught on people's capes!

I couldn't find monster feet anywhere and didn't have time to order a pair online, so I took a set of hands and modified them. I cut a slit down the insides of the fingers through the web, and sewed the top sides together to create more of a "foot" look.

The worst part/most tedious part was painting the skin. I didn't think I'd ever be done with that. The dreds were made from foam backer rods that were spray painted in glossy black, and later were sprayed with black plasti dip. I already know what improvements I want to make for next year. If anyone caught the comment above, yes I really did run about 3 miles while wearing this. Our Group does a Halloween formation run every year where everyone dresses up in costume. Needless to say, I was voted best costume.

Last edited by a moderator:
This must be one of the most resourceful and rapid Predator builds on the Lair. Well done on completing it in 28 days and it didn't half turn out pretty damned good.
Pepakura Bio must have saved you a few bob and yet the costume isn't compromised. All the components are of a similar standard so no one part of the costume outclasses the other, giving a very well balanced outfit. Wonder what you could do with more time and more money thrown at it.

That's excellent. I made my first one in a week and it was truly cack. You've got talent, you planning on remaking it?
To you and crawjaw:

Again, thanks! I do plan on remaking a lot of it, now that I don't have a time crunch ahead of me. I discovered a few things as I was making the various pieces that would have made the whole thing a lot easier and more durable. I'd like to give those a shot. I need to figure out how to work with latex and resin because ultimately I think that's probably going to be a better way to go in some areas. That, and as a result of the Pred outfit, I've been challenged to try my hand at an Alien costume as well, so we'll see what happens... Upgrading this one is definitely on the "to do" list, though.

Who ever said these builds are addictive was 100% correct.

So, I've been lurking this forum for a while now (2 years) and finally decided to sit down and try to make a suit. Unfortunately, I started around the 1st of October, and had to have it ready by the 28th. I'm a girl, so I tried to "feminize" the costume a bit, but it didn't turn out exactly as I had envisioned. It was pretty amusing having everyone think I was a guy though. =)

Anyway, pics are below. Most of my templates/research/techniques were gleaned from threads by ShockWolf and Vinman, so thanks to both of them if they're still around! Comments are welcome, but cut me some slack. I've never made a costume before, and this was a bit of a rush job. :lol:

This is the only pic of the back I have. (Taken after a 3-mile run in that getup, so the feet had to come off.)

Obligatory action shot:

Mask: I tried to buy one off Amazon to modify, but that didn't work out at all. So I used the Pepakura model that's been floating around.

Couple of paint drips, but I sort of liked the look it gave and left it like that.

I bought some hands off Amazon and added my own blades to look a little better. They ended up being kinda sharp and keep getting caught on people's capes!

I couldn't find monster feet anywhere and didn't have time to order a pair online, so I took a set of hands and modified them. I cut a slit down the insides of the fingers through the web, and sewed the top sides together to create more of a "foot" look.

The worst part/most tedious part was painting the skin. I didn't think I'd ever be done with that. The dreds were made from foam backer rods that were spray painted in glossy black, and later were sprayed with black plasti dip. I already know what improvements I want to make for next year. If anyone caught the comment above, yes I really did run about 3 miles while wearing this. Our Group does a Halloween formation run every year where everyone dresses up in costume. Needless to say, I was voted best costume.

Gael,

Excellent quick-build suit, and very innovative way you did the feet

I had the same thing happen, folks thought I was a guy

questions:
What did you make the skin from, a beige cotton/lycra bodysuit?

And what kind of netting is the mesh?

My bio's off to ya for doing a 3 mile run, takes endurance :lol:

---
Ei'luj

Last edited by a moderator:
Gael ur so kick ass, looks great, id totaly go ona hunt with ya :lol:
looks like fun, i might get distracted with the girl in red tho
lol keep it up, ull get better and better !

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back