Newbie with a Iron Man MK. III Pep Helmet

Ironpredator

Hi all

What has me here in the first place was looking around on the RPF fourms looking for a replica resin Iron Man Helmet. Someone had mentioned it to me that it was possible to make your using pepakura and file etc (never heard of until over one week ago) anyway it led me to here and after a week of looking around and pesturing people I decided to try give it a go myself. my experiance is minimal and have never used fiberglass or bondo so im literally going step by step. Only experiance I have is doing model building and some airbrushing.

Anyway here is were I am. Please what I would like more is for people to tell me were I am going wrong or what else I could be doing. indiefilmgeek suggested to me to do a WIP to get people advise and opinions and im greatful to him and stealth(cultcollectables on youtube) who I have been pesturing the last few days.

I have never used a glue gun before or worked with cardstock so the first thing I noticed was a few bumps and lumps as I was gluing, Im sure its one of them things with practice you get better at. its only at this point that im getting the grips with the glue gun as most people have suggested its the best glue to use. I have no idea how far Im going to go with this but it would be really really fantastic if I could get as far as the torso even to display. (arc reactor, and repulsor's im worrying about achieving this) one step at a time.

I have just done my very first fiberglass today so im hopin to do the inside tomorrow with the cloth.

Anyway thanks for looking!! and thank you for any advise and for having me here on rpf:)

David

DSC05276.jpg

DSC05274.jpg

DSC05281.jpg

DSC05395.jpg

DSC05398.jpg

DSC05399.jpg

Fiberglassing stage
DSC05469.jpg

DSC05468.jpg

DSC05467.jpg

DSC05466.jpg

DSC05465.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Another Newbie with a Iron Man MK. III Pep Helmet

Hi

Great work... like you, i'm also a newbie to this and have a couple of questions if you don't mind:

1) The helmet is made out of cardstock ?
2) Glued together with a heat glue gun ?
3) What have you sprayed it with to strengthen it ?
4) whats the next step ?

Appreciate any response.

Thanks
Adam

Hey Adam

yoru dead right its made from cardstock, im using 200 gsm and maybe I could go abit stronger with it to 220. Im using a glue gun aswell and im only getting used to the right amounts used per tab. I used fiberglass resin on the outside and spray adhesive on the inside and lay some fiberglass cloth down and then resin over it all. after that its the bondo car filler polyester, im not that far yet so keep checking here my friend.

david

Hi

Great work... like you, i'm also a newbie to this and have a couple of questions if you don't mind:

1) The helmet is made out of cardstock ?
2) Glued together with a heat glue gun ?
3) What have you sprayed it with to strengthen it ?
4) whats the next step ?

Appreciate any response.

Thanks
Adam

Keeping the Iron man faceplate in line with the jaw

HI all

Im just wondering how you all keep the face plate dead centred with the jaw before fiberglassing?

many thanks

i believe that they are fiberglassed separately. i've never built one, but i think that's how it's done.

*edit* i meant that the faceplate and the helmet are fiberglassed as two separate pieces and then when the helmet is done you use magnets to hold the faceplate in place.( or whatever type of hinge design people use to make the face plate open and close)

it depends on wich helmet you have made, mine have a piece that lock the face place at the right place. well it might :D

i believe that they are fiberglassed separately. i've never built one, but i think that's how it's done.

*edit* i meant that the faceplate and the helmet are fiberglassed as two separate pieces and then when the helmet is done you use magnets to hold the faceplate in place.( or whatever type of hinge design people use to make the face plate open and close)

Did my first attempt with the (three) pieces separated. The faceplate and jaw were adjustable back to true with a few hours heating and bending, but the main helmet body was warped in three dimensions as it cured, and was irreparable. I'm now doing a 4-piece version, and plan to resin and 'glass it as one piece, and cut it apart afterward. The back-of-the-neck piece doesn't seem to want to fit in with the rest of the helmet, though, which puzzles me - they were all printed at the same scale, so it ought to all fit together, and it... doesn't.:unsure

ETA: first helmet was SharkMark's, which was a really-detailed 3-pc model (faceplate, jaw, and rest of helmet); second was one of Robo's IIRC, and was a slightly-less-detailed (but therefore a little easier) 4-pc - faceplate, jaw, back-of-neck wraparound "earmuffs", and rest of helmet.

Last edited:

yeah I resined , fiberglassed and Bondo'ed them as 1 piece so when I cut them with my dremel I am sure they will fit together nicely

my first try I resined the faceplate separate from the rest and it did not fit anymore..
so in my opinion making it as 1 helmet and then cut it in pieces is the best option

Thanks Ironpredator :)

Does you head fit in it ?

Which plans did you work off ?

I got them from stealth's you tube tutorials, he has them listed under the description.

it does fit over your head but when you harden its really difficult, so people here i think cut a piece of the back of the helmet to make room.

Thanks Ironpredator :)

Does you head fit in it ?

Which plans did you work off ?

Re: Keeping the Iron man faceplate in line with the jaw

HI all

Im just wondering how you all keep the face plate dead centred with the jaw before fiberglassing?

many thanks

Attach the face plate with some small clips on the inside of the helmet, and run a light coat of vasoline along the inside of the seam , then do a few coats of fiberglass resin on the outside of the helmet, trying not to get too much around where the faceplate and helmet meet up, once cured then seperate the two and use the fiberglass cloth and resin on the inside of the helmet and faceplate, then you can reattach the faceplate to the helmet with the clips on the inside again to let them cure together to hold their shape

ahh I think I know what you mean Surreal, is it them stationary bull clips? the mini ones?

just attach them on the inside were the faceplate meets the helmet and on that seam you run vasoline? never heard of that one, is it just one side you vasoline and what does the vasoline do ?

again thank you

Attach the face plate with some small clips on the inside of the helmet, and run a light coat of vasoline along the inside of the seam , then do a few coats of fiberglass resin on the outside of the helmet, trying not to get too much around where the faceplate and helmet meet up, once cured then seperate the two and use the fiberglass cloth and resin on the inside of the helmet and faceplate, then you can reattach the faceplate to the helmet with the clips on the inside again to let them cure together to hold their shape

ahh I think I know what you mean Surreal, is it them stationary bull clips? the mini ones?

just attach them on the inside were the faceplate meets the helmet and on that seam you run vasoline? never heard of that one, is it just one side you vasoline and what does the vasoline do ?

again thank you

Ya run the vasoline along the seams of the face plate and the helmet where they meet when put together, this will stop any resin that gets in the seam from bonding the two parts, then just use the small bull clips on the same seam but from inside the helmet, to keep the face plate and helmet together while resining

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back