Newbie Question About Casting Pred Beads

Lflank

I don't wanna hijack Quakevirus's thread any more, so I'll ask here:

I want to try my hand at casting some pred beads. I'll do a few in clay, just to try it out, but my sculpting skills . . . well . . . suck, and what would work best for me as far as looks would be to use a short length of pvc pipe as a base and decorate by glueing bits and pieces of foamie to it, then use that to make a mold.

My question: will I be able to seal foamie enough, using the sealant stuff that comes with the Oomoo kit, to make a mold of it? I usually paint all my foamies with watered-down Elmers to seal it--will that still be OK to do? How about if I paint the finished piece with primer or something, will that help, or will the Oomoo just pull the paint off and make a mess?

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Sealing it with Elmers is a really good way to go. Especially if your used to doing it that way.

The main worry with silicone is a mechanical lock. Much like velcro, the surfaces become locked on ther very small scale.
Sealing it fills in all the small pockets the silicone gets into on a surface and prevents this lock.

Thanks, guys. That is indeed what I was worried about--that the foamie and the mold would sort of penetrate into each other and I wouldn't be able to get the mold off.

OK, I'll try it out with the Elmers and see how it goes.

Many thanks. :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back