Newbie q: simplified casting process?

I'm learning about the mold/cast process as well. It seems that you want to be able to cast high detail in armor pieces that you will only need to make 1 cast of.
Well, it's a possibility - I am just trying to prepare myself for being able to do some of the costumes I have in my head to do. One in particular I will *probably* want a sturdy, glossy plastic skin on the outside of, but beneath that it might be fine to have just squishy foam between my body and the shell.
If you are wanting to only cast one piece, then you would want a cheaper, less durable material. Materials like plaster and resin are far cheaper alternatives. If your piece is highly detailed with lots of little shapes, grooves, etc then you will have a difficult time removing the mold from the master without destroying something. The silicone rubber would simply peel off, something you cant do with a hard mold material. This might mean that you would have to carefully destroy your master in order to remove it.
Destroying the master would be OK if I get a good enough mold to make one or two finished pieces from.
For casting materials the more expensive stuff seems faster and easier to use. Smooth-Cast 65D is around $70 by the gallon. Its strong and easy to mix but gets pricey. Fiberglass and resin are cheaper but messier and more time consuming. There are numerous materials that are different in price and result. Just keep researching.

BTW, I am still learning about this so if any of the info that I have said is wrong I appologize.
Yeah, I understand. I might try molding in plaster and casting in resin (solid or hollow depending on what I'm making) combo to begin with, as it seems fairly cost-effective. Speaking of hollow casting, does resin work for the kind of casting most people do with rubber, i.e. let it cure awhile and then pour out the excess to leave a cast wall?

...Speaking of hollow casting, does resin work for the kind of casting most people do with rubber, i.e. let it cure awhile and then pour out the excess to leave a cast wall?

Yes, that's called slush casting. Pour resin into the mold, and tilt the mold letting the resin roll and coat the inside. Keep it moving until it gels, then pour some more and repeat. Keep going until the part reaches the thickness you need.

If you your armor is fairly smooth, like stormtrooper armor, you could make fiberglass from plaster or even fiberglass molds. Though most folks vacuform it. If you need more detail then you'll need a silicone mold. Pricey, but if you make a few extras and sell them you can make back your money. Everything you make could be free that way :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back