Newbie needs help with custom foam armour project

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Rawk Lobsta, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Rawk Lobsta

Rawk Lobsta New Member

Hey everybody! I'm new here and to costuming for that matter. I need some help getting my armor started.

Basically the deal is I want to go all out for Star Wars Celebration this year, buuuuut, I don't know where to start. I'm going to be using EVA foam flooring as the medium, but I'm not quite sure how to go about making the templates for the armor pieces.

As it stands I'll be making a Pauldron, Breastplate (stops just above abs), Shinguards, and Gauntlet(s).

The costume is a one-off design I made, Its an Assassin's Creed / Star Wars mashup. And once I finish, it should turn out to be pretty slick. Honestly any kind of n00b help you guys can offer would be amazing.

2. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Re: Newbie Needs Help!

First of all: hello!

if you haven't worked with foam before, i would recommand you watching some of TheHeroTutorials on YouTube, just to give you an idea

The problem with one-of-a-kind designs is that you can't just take templates, i guess you'll have to make your own ones. What you COULD do is to take pepakura-templates of the stuff your mashup consists of and make foam-pieces for them, and then look for what you are still missing

3. Rawk Lobsta

Rawk Lobsta New Member

Awesome, thanks a lot I'm watching those vids right now lol. Also I'll have to look into pep models for some of the stuff, that would actually work really well!

4. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

just out of curiosity, do you have some sketches or something of your mashup? and what elements does it consist of?

5. Propsjonnyb

Propsjonnyb Well-Known Member

to add always try to work form a pattern or template as you will waste foam otherwise , card stock is good, as you can offer it up and make easy alterations before you cut , "measure twice - cut once" should become your motto