newbie looking for some advice!

ChaiBean

So I've been planning on making a helmet of my own character in a Cube/Voxelated style and have run into a bit of a hurdle since I don't really have the most experience with that kinda thing.

This is a model I made and what I'm trying to replicate.
discord.gif

I have a general Idea of how I'm going to make it, I'm thinking hard poster board for the actual base and details, with a cube PVC skeleton underneath to hold everything up while not putting any pressure on the poster board since it wouldn't be able to handle the stress.

The issue I've run into is the glasses.

So the measurements I plan on replicating is a 1:2 2/3" scale for each cube, meaning that the glasses dimensions would be 2 2/3" x 8" x 8". So if I wanted to use a material like acrylic each part of the glasses would be somewhere around 7 lbs, and I'm not too excited about having 14 lbs strapped to my head and having to deal with counterbalancing and all sorts of other problems that would come with it.

If anyone has any ideas on a material I would be able to use that's lightweight, very clear, and hard enough to keep its shape I am all ears for suggestions! If all else fails then I might make it a hollow acrylic, but preferably I would wanna have it solid just for looks.

Have you thought about using foam for the body with glue and sticks holding them together? You could use the shipping foam or the hobby store foam and spray paint it the colour you wanted. For the glasses, you could use the solid thing but have it attached to the body with maybe metal/wood sticks. Like, have a cube with only the lines being the cube ie the 12 lines. You could then put more support on it if you wanted to. Thats what I would do.

Have you thought about using foam for the body with glue and sticks holding them together? You could use the shipping foam or the hobby store foam and spray paint it the colour you wanted. For the glasses, you could use the solid thing but have it attached to the body with maybe metal/wood sticks. Like, have a cube with only the lines being the cube ie the 12 lines. You could then put more support on it if you wanted to. Thats what I would do.
do you have any pictures/videos with examples of this technique? I'm just having a hard time picturing it in my head

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back