newbie help enterprise refit paint?

glenbrooks

Hi Lads, new here , also getting for xmas the polar lights 1.350 enterprise refit kit. I have done the 1/1000 kit and did build it and painted using Tamiya pearl spray. but after decals etc and varnish just looks white. what I would like to know is as I am going to use the decal sheets for the Aztec on the 1/350 kit, would I be ok using just flat white Tamiya spray? just thinking about easy for touch ups etc with a brush with white from a bottle ??? thanks glen

Glen, I'm in the same boat. I've got the pearl and a Testors Classic White for the base. It may be a good idea to test out the base and pearl on the array dish housing first. The pearl may be so faint that it could take a few more coats for the color to really shine. I picked up an RC car color changing glitter spray that I put on the NX-01 model to just test it out on bare plastic. The results gave it just a hint of that pearl sparkle, so I may add it as a very final coat.

I'm holding off until PL sends me the neck piece that was missing from my kit.

The original used several colors of interference paint. That's the fancy paint that car guys use that looks like it shifts from blue to green or orange to red as it goes by.
It was a a really complicated paint job.

So do whatever looks good to you. You are the final judge of your project.

The decals are just colors, they have no metallic look to them. A pearl paint will help sell the iridescent effect. But whichever way you go use gloss, it'll eliminate the need for a glosscoat before decals.

Have you guys ever considered using pearl as your final top coat finish instead of your base coat?
I'm sure you can find something - I used to have a jar of the stuff years ago. Got it from Hobby Lobby.
I don't remember what it was called, but I found it in the horrible craft paint section.
Could even run it through an airbrush.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back