Newbie Build: Scratch Tusken Raider Costume

Beetroot

Hi all,

New member here. I would just like to say thanks to everyone, there is so much inspirational stuff on the forums that I couldn't help but get ... well ... inspired. After thinking about investing thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours I decided on a simple and cheap (ish) project to begin with, as I have no formal training in any of the skills required for props making or costuming but rather an interest in all things that can be made in the home.

I hope to chronicle here my build of a Tusken Raider Costume which is based on the OT type seen in ANH. Mine is not aimed to replicate any directly from the movie but fit within the universe.

SO here goes ...

I have just "finished" the head piece and all that is required is some more weathering and cleanup specifically around where the mask opens and closes.

To start with I made the base out of simple Paper Mache using flour, water and paper. After getting this in the right proportions I moved onto the greeblies.
For the Eye pieces I used wooded flower pots (available at hobby lobby for those in the US) which were then sanded down and cut to correct proportion
The Head spikes were cut from Birch Shake Pegs (again available at hobby lobby) which were simple cut down
The Tusks were turned down dowel with the end being cut from some slightly larger Birch Shake Pegs and then drilled out to make look hollow.
The Teeth was hand carved from balsa wood block.
All greeblies were then primed and painted with a chrome spray paint (I could have got a smoother finish here if I had more patience)

Finally I dyed the duck cloth with coffee and some green food colorings to achieve the slightly weathered look and attached them to the head using hot glue.

Most of the build was based on Studio Creations Tusken Raider Guide.

As I finish more parts of the costume I will upload. As this is my first thread please feel free to provide and guidance as required. I hope this too inspires new costume and prop builders to start their own project
. IMG_6546.JPGIMG_6541.JPGIMG_6543.JPGIMG_8007.JPGIMG_8186.JPGIMG_8189.JPG

Indeed ... you've just begun a fabulous journey into fun of props making ... and with great result already :)

Chaim

Nicely done! Very creative use of "ordinary" items like the flower pots.

The "metal" parts look pretty smooth but you can brush on some wood glue and sand it down to fill in the pores and make it smooth.

Wow, this is some first post! Extremely impressive scratch building here. I admit I was dubious when I saw the raw pieces of wood, but was blown away by the finish you achieved on them. Superb work, and I'm really looking forward to any and all progress shots. :thumbsup

Thank you all for the support. I'm working on the respirator now with stuff I have laying around the house so wish me luck.

Thanks to merkava74 for the inspiration to keep going. Again the challenge was to use stuff lying around the house. Some lessons learned and things I might still change. I will leave the weathering until the complete set is complete. Here are some pictures of the process
.P5090169.JPGP5090173.JPGP5090175.JPGP5090177.JPGP5090178.JPG

P5090169.JPG

P5090173.JPG

P5090175.JPG

P5090177.JPG

P5090178.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
You are well on your way my friend...one tusken to another ;). I'll offer this to you as inspiration to continue your journey...many prop makers in big films of the past relied on making stuff using things "found around the shop". The irony is, years later here we are, fan boys and girls, all of us, dissecting those things and working, perhaps even sometimes more fervishly that the originators, to re-achieve their creations. I love that!! Continued good luck! Before you know it you'll be there...and then itching for the next ;)

This looks great. Welcome by the way. What a heck of a project to start off with, and a great start I must say! Color me subscribed! Best of luck with the rest of the build!

You are well on your way my friend...one tusken to another ;). I'll offer this to you as inspiration to continue your journey...many prop makers in big films of the past relied on making stuff using things "found around the shop". The irony is, years later here we are, fan boys and girls, all of us, dissecting those things and working, perhaps even sometimes more fervishly that the originators, to re-achieve their creations. I love that!! Continued good luck! Before you know it you'll be there...and then itching for the next ;)

I think that is half the fun. Figuring out how to get the same final look using completely unexpected materials. Unfortunately the rest of the costume relies on fabric which you can't really fake on. But after that the Gaffi Stick and Tusken rifle awaits. I hope to build this the rifle based on this picture. Not canon but a pretty nice looking rifle if I can manage to achieve the same look.
d79c6b8db4549f1e813b92da1b329674.jpg

I love scratch building myself. I really love some of the kitted stuff I've worded, but some of my best work has been made from random junk and trinkets I had laying about.
Wicked good build, my friend.

Here are the boots. Added some "ventilation" holes to try and make them a little cooler when being worn. Tried cutting the edge so I could keep the original grip from the boot. Some experimentation going on here. Will let you know how it works out. Again final weathering awaits.
P5100193.JPGP5100194.JPGIMG_8298.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

And here is the full costume. I still need to add screens to the eye. Add arm wraps and of course final weathering but it looks like it will come together.IMG_8297.JPGIMG_8296.JPG

Finally started some weathering and managed to add in the screen for the eyes. Been working on a complementary Jawa costume for my 6 month year old son. Will post some pictures of that once it gets a little closer.
IMG_8480.JPGIMG_8481.JPG

But anyway I actually came here to post the next stage in the costume is nearing completion. Just requires addition of greeblies and weathering, and my take on the Tusken Raider Rifle will be complete.
P9131531.JPG

Here it is with all the greeblies attached and some weathering. Made from an old wooden ladder found on the side of the road (stock), some wooden dowel lying around the house (barrel and scope) and some old mother board parts (majority of greeblies). Looking forward to my next project
P9221616.JPG

Attachments

• P9221615.JPG
    P9221615.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 134
Once I get some I will definitely put some up here. Hopefully won't have to wait till Halloween to get some up (if only there was more time in a day).

Last edited:
Here are some pictures inspired by some behind the scenes photos from ANH. Those of you that have googled "Tusken Raider" for images will know what I'm talking about.
12032727_1205321162828468_4061699109150337463_o.jpg12183812_1205321152828469_4555558336572127118_o.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back