New52 Orion helmet Work in progress

Hazmat

orion.jpgIMG_20151201_191007.jpgIMG_20151201_190955.jpg

Not much to say. The visor will be able to open and close and I'm going to try and rig some LEDs for the eyes.

IMG_20151208_015042.jpgIMG_20151208_015028.jpg

Visor duct taped in place. I'm having trouble deciding how to mount this so that it can open and close, Any ideas? I'm thinking maybe I can get the hinge for a motorcycle helmet visor, but I've never really handle them up close.

I'm having trouble deciding how to mount this so that it can open and close, Any ideas? I'm thinking maybe I can get the hinge for a motorcycle helmet visor, but I've never really handle them up close.

A simple low-tech approach would be to embed a nut (right side and left side) on the underside of the visor's pivot points, then use short flat-head screws through small holes drilled in the helmet. That should give you a workable hinge without any cosmetic flaws on the out side.

I was thinking of something like that, but if I use screws or bolts which are threaded, would it cause a problem with one side tightening and one side loosening? I guess it is only a 1/4 turn, so it's probably fine. Thanks for the input.

If that's a concern, then just use a screw or bolt that is threaded only half way (such as a cap screw).

The trick here would be for the threads to start after the thickness of the helmet, but not longer than the nut. You'll probably have to cut the threaded part down a bit, but that's not hard to do using a vise and a hacksaw. Then use pipe tape (also known as teflon tape) on the threads to insure a snug fit into the nut to keep the screw from rotating. That way, if you ever need to remove the visor, all you have to do is unscrew it.

If that's a concern, then just use a screw or bolt that is threaded only half way (such as a cap screw).

The trick here would be for the threads to start after the thickness of the helmet, but not longer than the nut. You'll probably have to cut the threaded part down a bit, but that's not hard to do using a vise and a hacksaw. Then use pipe tape (also known as teflon tape) on the threads to insure a snug fit into the nut to keep the screw from rotating. That way, if you ever need to remove the visor, all you have to do is unscrew it.

So what I settled on was to use bolts, lock nuts, a few washers and metal strapping

https://youtu.be/paW4HvfkyeQ

I was definitely expecting this to be more complicated than it was. The tension needs to be adjusted everyonce in a while because the lock nuts don't lock quite as well as they should, but that ok. I might use some Teflon tape like you said, Fizbin.

Glad you found a workable solution. It's always nice when something simple gets the job done so you can move on with the project.

Looking forward to seeing the finished helmet, looks very good so far. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back