New wanna-be prop maker here

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Von Props, May 29, 2015.

1. Von Props

Von Props New Member

Hi,

I'm new in the prop making game, i'm a mechanical engineering student living in the province of Quebec, Canada.
    as i said, i just got in the prop making scene and it's very interesting/addictive.

i recently bought a 3d printer and i wanted to practice my 3d drawing skills on Solidworks and that's how i got into prop making.

My first project is a Pocket Infinity fusion rifle from the game Destiny.

finished%20handle.png
    here's a shoot of the handle so far. I wanted to make it into a paintball marker so that's why the handle has holes and stuff.

As i said, I'm using Solidwork and so far it's been going pretty well with my project but i'd like to know what 3D software are you using for more ''organic models''.

Feedbacks, impressions and tips are all welcomed.

(Sorry if there's written mistakes, i mainly speak french.)​
    Destiny-PocketInfinity-ExoticFusionRifle.jpg

2. Jintosh

Jintosh Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I use Zbrush but I'm not an expert at it. It has clay like manipulation, so it can be very organic. (and a bit expensive)

3. Von Props

Von Props New Member

thanks ! i've done i little research and there's a free software called Blender. any experience with it ?

4. joberg

joberg Master Member

Bienvenue Von Props (I'm originally from Brussels, Belgium and lived for 8 years in La Belle Province...Montreal to be precise and now Ottawa). Welcome and eager to see where that 3-D printer will lead you and the results you'll get.

5. novacat17

novacat17 Active Member

Welcome to the addiction! I mainly use solidworks as well for my 3d-printer (Afinia 480). You are right that it lacks an organic feel. I have dabbled with blender and it can produce amazing results. You can also mess around with Mesh files and stls if you do it right, so the thingiverse opens up to you a bit more. My biggest suggestion is to make sure you chop up your piece and do not try to print it all at once. Solid works can do this fairly well, as you can build an assembly to work out how you want the printed model to "snap" together.

I have also seen people do amazing things with sketch up, but I have never looked into it myself.