New Toho Godzilla vs. Gigan rex short

Riceball

Master Member
For all of you Goji fans here, Toho has released a new short as part of G-fest 2022, it features Godzzilla vs. a horde of Gigans and eventually a nastier version called Gigan rex. Just to be clear this is a short, just over 6 minutes long and is a Toho production and not a part of Legnedary's monstervese. So this means it's largely suit based, no CG except for a few scenes here and there.

Suit Goji is best Goji. I'm so happy to see it even just briefly. I wish there was more use of the suit again.
From what I've heard, Toho has produced a couple of other shorts using the suits, Sadly, in one of them, they apparently used the Godzilla stunt suit and the mouth mechanism broke in one shot and wouldn't close and remained open for the rest of the short.

For all of you Goji fans here, Toho has released a new short as part of G-fest 2022, it features Godzzilla vs. a horde of Gigans and eventually a nastier version called Gigan rex. Just to be clear this is a short, just over 6 minutes long and is a Toho production and not a part of Legnedary's monstervese. So this means it's largely suit based, no CG except for a few scenes here and there.

NO CG? The whole thing looked CGI to me. I like Godzilla's design but it looks mostly garbage to me.

NO CG? The whole thing looked CGI to me. I like Godzilla's design but it looks mostly garbage to me.
It looked like it was mostly done with guys in suits on a set with model buildings. That's not to say that some parts of it weren't likely done in CG, but I'm pretty sure that it was mostly practical. The flying Gigasns were probably CG since that would be a lot easier than trying to rig up one of those suits on wires and "fly" it around. And if some of the CG shots may have looked a bit dodgy, I can excuse them since these shorts were probably done on a tight budget and shooting schedule, so no time or money for the best CG work possible.

I think it's CG but deliberately made to look like suits to pay homage to the classic aesthetic rather than modernizing and redesigning everything for hyperrealism. The framing and rack zooms are classic references as well. Those buildings up close look and crumble like classic generic building models and I think that is deliberate. Beautiful. I would watch Godzilla CG movies if they were done like this - jank and all.

I think it's CG but deliberately made to look like suits to pay homage to the classic aesthetic rather than modernizing and redesigning everything for hyperrealism. The framing and rack zooms are classic references as well. Those buildings up close look and crumble like classic generic building models and I think that is deliberate. Beautiful. I would watch Godzilla CG movies if they were done like this - jank and all.
While I think that there was definitely some CG in this short, I think that it was done mostly using suits. O saw video that mentioned a previous short used a Godzilla stunt suit and the jaw mechanism broke in one shot and it wouldn't close in the remainder of the short. So, if they used a suit in a previous short, from not that long ago, then they probably did the same with this one but used some CG to supplement and add to the short.

Sounds like this was an all CGI production, done mostly done mostly solo by the director, Takuya Uenishi, who was a 3D modeler on Shin-Goji and Shin Ultraman, and made a previous Godzilla VS Gigan short that won a contest co-sponsored by Toho, leading to this short being Green lit and produced with Toho's backing.

Cool fact is that this is intended to be a direct sequel to Godzilla VS Destroyah, with the Godzilla featured in this as the fully grown version of Godzilla Junior, and that opening narrator is Megumi Odaka, who was Miki in the Heisei era!

I was just happy to see Godzirrah's new, ultra-panda, happy, super, ultra, white breath weapon.

Thanks for posting!

Slightly off topic but related, here's a brief behind the scenes video from last year's Godzilla Day short, Godzilla vs. Hedorah. This is why I think that the Gigan short was done with mostly suits because they did it with suits last year.

Slightly off topic but related, here's a brief behind the scenes video from last year's Godzilla Day short, Godzilla vs. Hedorah. This is why I think that the Gigan short was done with mostly suits because they did it with suits last year.

Those look like the suits they used in Final Wars. It's the one movie where Godzilla looked like that.

They showed this before the screening of Mechagodzilla Against Godzilla a couple of weeks ago. Amazing how that movie still holds up. I wish the American Godzilla movies could be as good as TOHO but I've come to realize Godzilla movies really need a Japanese sensibility for them to work. Only they can do their monster justice.

Speaking of...are we ever getting a followup to Shin Godzilla???

ARGHHHH GIGAN!!!!!!!!! I hate that guy. Telly tuby buzz saw with his punk rock visor. Nothing delights me more than Godzilla bringing it down on him.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back