New to SS - Have Questions

cbrant

Hey all!

I am interested in studio scale Star Wars props and love to see the work done here. I don't have a lot of model experience, but I have done a Hasbro Millennium Falcon build up, which is still in progress and several SW screen accurate costumes. My main question here is, where do kit makers generally post their stuff for sale? I have ventured into Modeler Magic, but didn't care for the "FOR SALE" format of the page. That is really the only modeling place I have found besides finding kit makers Facebook pages. Just as an example, I've seen lots of talk about runs of armatures for TIE fighters, but have never seen any for sale posts like that on the RPF. Also, unused kits for resale. Where is this stuff hiding?

Follow up question: I see most kits are done in resin as one would expect... is there a lot of concern for warping of those large resin parts? For example, a 38" Star Destroyer seems like it would be prone to warping.

Thanks all for your help!

Welcome! In my experience it's all "hunt and peck" when looking for a studio scale kit. Ebay sometimes works and other times, not so much- there have been some recasters on there. MMM is a good source as well as the for sale stuff in Resin Illuminatti and Starship Modeler. Occasionally you see things on the project run section here. Nice N' Models, Mike Salzo, and although most of his stuff is not studio scale- Randy Cooper does very cool resin subjects and they are big.

Are you referring to the Randy Cooper Star Destroyer? His is around that size and the internal framework on that prevents sagging. Never built one myself but I have seen pictures showing a support frame similar to the original model. I have not experienced any sagging at all with any resin kits I have built and I live in Houston (hot and wet). The only real issue I have had is a warping Boba Fett helmet I did. It was cast in 65D and that stuff eventually caves in on itself without proper support or backing. Most of the larger kits are cast in resins with a tougher strength like Smooth On 300 series. Sometimes the pieces can be warped and require straightening, but if you have the right support, it shouldn't be an issue.

Just my two cents!

Welcome! In my experience it's all "hunt and peck" when looking for a studio scale kit. Ebay sometimes works and other times, not so much- there have been some recasters on there. MMM is a good source as well as the for sale stuff in Resin Illuminatti and Starship Modeler. Occasionally you see things on the project run section here. Nice N' Models, Mike Salzo, and although most of his stuff is not studio scale- Randy Cooper does very cool resin subjects and they are big.

Are you referring to the Randy Cooper Star Destroyer? His is around that size and the internal framework on that prevents sagging. Never built one myself but I have seen pictures showing a support frame similar to the original model. I have not experienced any sagging at all with any resin kits I have built and I live in Houston (hot and wet). The only real issue I have had is a warping Boba Fett helmet I did. It was cast in 65D and that stuff eventually caves in on itself without proper support or backing. Most of the larger kits are cast in resins with a tougher strength like Smooth On 300 series. Sometimes the pieces can be warped and require straightening, but if you have the right support, it shouldn't be an issue.

Just my two cents!

Thank you! I was actually referring to the RC Star Destroyer. I had also seen a Super Star Destroyer kit I was interested in at one point. Funny that you mention a Fett helmet, that was my first Star Wars project and the casting I got was junky resin and has made me a little gun-shy in future projects.

I've got four of Randy Coopers models, the SD, the Sand Crawler the Radient and the BR. I've had no issues with any of them.Just keep them away from the sunlight and high temperatures and they will be fine. If you've had little experience with resin kits then read up on other peoples builds well before you start them.The SD is a demanding first build if you don't get the frame work well sorted out before hand.
Full SS "garage" resin kits have all but disappeared these days. There used to be a regular stream of SS kit makers here a few years ago, but for various reasons the guys that cast these have either retired or moved on to better things.
Then again its also possible that perhaps fully built SS models may once again be reproduced and retailed much like MR used to. There were rumours after appearances at various scifi cons but little evidence of release dates as yet. After R1 this may become more likely.
Keep checking places like "Rebel Scum" for info. But they won't be cheap as manufacturing /labour costs in China have substantially increased over the year

All good tips so far. I would add the following.

Studio Scale kits are not made by multimillion companies but usually individuals or small teams. And as such there are big differences in quality, certainty of actually getting your kit, customer service etc.

So my advice is to inform yourself well, so you run the risk you are comfortable with and no more. All the information is out there.

You can start with the moebius cylon raider. Very cheap from eBay etc and an easy first build. And studio scale etc.

Sorry just seen you were after Star wars but the raider is still a cool model.

Another good gateway drug for Studio Scale is the Imperial Probe Droid Transport Pod from ESB. It's almost entirely kit bashed from kits that are (mostly) still available on Amazon.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back