New to forum need supplies and opinions on a higher end suit

ThePriest

Hey everyone this is The Priest Predator, I have been working on a suit for about 2 years. I have been molding and casting pieces of my own creation and I desperately want to finish my suit without spending a lot of time on the backpack ad cannon etc... Is there anyone out there who has backpack armor and a cannon that would be interested in selling it does not have to be finished I can paint it all. I am going to start uploading pics of my suit and pieces I have already finished!

The Priest

check the buy sell trade section theres a list of makers in the top few posts and then see if anyones got some for sale

I need more help with the making process than the buying I need some expirenced casters and sculptors to help show me or tell me what im doing wrong...

How about if you post some examples of what you've currently worked on, then tell us where you're getting stuck? I took a look at the pictures you posted in your introductory post, and it looks like you know what you're doing so far. It looks like you've been doing some sculpting and casting already, right? Are you looking for advice as far as which materials you should use for a particular situation?

basically when i pour the casting material i am getting bubbles in the cast and it is affecting my molds it's not bad but when you put all the time and effort in to making a mold you want it to look the best. and i have been working on my new head and i want to have all of these problems figured out before i pour a cast in my next post i will send a pic of it. I am also wondering if anyone has a good tip on how to make the split mold i understand i might have to change the way the mold is and that's ok. i just need some guiding hands and i know you guys know what your doing your stuff looks awesome!

Here is the head I have sculpted im open to ideas on how to make split mold before I tragically destroy it.

Predator_1_001.JPG

Predator_1_002.JPG

If you haven't been, coat the mold with talc baby powder, it should eliminate the surface bubbles.

Put the baby powder in with a chip brush if you can and blow it out wih compressed air, that leaves a nice thin coat. If you blow it out you might add moisture that the resin doesn't like.

What materials are you using? I've experiment with quite a few different resins because of issues I've had and sometimes the resin just doesn't like what your doing with it.

OK, your making a mold for a mask... big difference.

What is the plaster type you are using? Most of the references I've seen use a chip brush to apply the beauty coat to eliminate trapped air.

Maybe I'm still confused on what your casting problem is. Air bubbles in the latex?

when i pour the casting material and i get it off the clay and then i pour the latex i am getting bubbles in the latex . and when it dries i have a divit where it didn't fill in with latex and it just looks bad . i feel like i am getting air trapped in small places and i can't get them out . I tried tapping on the mold as i am pouring and it helps but i am still getting a few holes on my final piece of latex I can send you a picture if you need me to .

Darth: Thanks for the tips and pages ill check em out. I have some books already I just needed some more detail on my personal pieces I have the molding and casting book by thurston james!

You can probably fix this by brushing a layer of latex onto your plaster mold before you pour the latex into it. The brush coat will take all the detail from your mold, and it will avoid the problems with air bubbles popping up into your casting. After brushing on the detail coat, you should be ready to pour the latex into your mold as quickly as possible. Otherwise, the detail coat will start drying, and you'll end up with a layer of latex that may delaminate from the poured-on coat.

Were you also asking about how to keep two halves of a plaster mold from sticking to each other? I couldn't tell if that's what you were asking, but a good way to do this is to put a coat of Vaseline or some other kind of petroleum jelly onto the mold flange, where your dividing wall was. Then, the new plaster you put on won't bond with the other side of the mold.

Check out The Monster Makers Mask Makers Handbook. You can buy and download this book for just $6.95, and it'll help to understand more about the process. There are also some tips and tricks in there that you may not have known about.

Ah, yes. Elkman has one solution with brushing in the first layer.

What I do with all my latex parts is spritz the mold with water first. Then pour in the latex and pour it out. Then spritz the latex with water to pop the bubbles and it thins out a little latex. Slush that around to fill little bubbles and then pour more latex back into the mold.

From there you can let it dwell full of latex or pour it out, let it cure a little then fill and pour again.

thanks guys that helps alot i have always just poured it straight in and sloshed it around and as far a the plaster sticking i was using sealube i bout it from a special effects company salt lake utah. I just don't think i was using enough on it .

thanks again i just spent a few hundred dollars there i had seen that site before just didn't know how good the products were. look for my pics of my suit soon when the materials come in.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back