New Thor Avengers Hammer or THOR movie Hammer?

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by MonsterGlue, May 8, 2012.

1. MonsterGlue

MonsterGlue New Member

In the movie "THOR", his trusty hammer Mjolnir looked like this:
    [​IMG]
    7157412882_c50cbf1375_c.png
    7157416370_28be28b359_z.png

Now in "The Avengers", we see a new look for Mjolnir:
    [​IMG]
    eFX-Thor-Hammer.jpg

2hda6oj.jpg

Btw, my apologies for over-sized images.

In your honest opinion, which Hammer do you prefer? I personally love the new look for its up-to-date look, and main attractions: the metal rings and handle tip cover. I am looking to get one of these hammers to show my love for this guy and want to hear other opinions.

The first hammer is sold by SideShow collectibles for $400.
    https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=901440#!prettyPhoto/1/
    It looks very movie accurate, well, THOR movie accurate...
    It is also the exact size as the actual prop used in the movie. It appears to have sold out through pre-orders, but I think I might have gotten one before it ran out by doing a flex-pay pre-order. Still says processing :confused
    Though I am sure they will be everywhere on Ebay once it gets into the hands of the public.

The second hammer is a prop in the making by EFX Collectibles. It is still in development, though they have the GO from Marvel so we are expecting to see pre-ordering anytime now. Or at least a date for it...
    Price is still unknown (Any more than $400 is crazy)
    Bryan Ono, the President of eFx said it is made from Resin from the 2nd video link.
    eFX Inc. - MARVEL Prop Replicas
    Here are videos on the collectibles they are selling with the hammer in it:
    Wonder Con 2012: eFx Collectibles - YouTube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Aflp891PGU

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  2. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I actually prefer the Avengers style better. I like the metal cap at the end the color of leather better. Sad thing though is that EFX is doing them. THey are growing to have bad rep with fans from what I hear. I think I'd rather buy one from someone from here rather than them at this point.

3. cavx

cavx Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have to agree that the metal end completes the look of the hammer.

4. Jay1138

Jay1138 Active Member

There's a few small differences, but I prefer The Avengers-style Hammer as well.

5. yeek

yeek Member

I like them both really...hopefully efx's won't break the bank. If it's in the same price range as MR, then I'll try to obtain one. I know MR's hammer is supposed to be made of stainless steel, anyone know what the efx one is made out of yet?

6. Coop

Coop Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Avengers style all the way. I wish it had more of a "hand-wrapped" look to it though.

7. MooMooEgg

MooMooEgg Sr Member

efx's is supposed to be made of fiberglass or resin.

8. MooMooEgg

MooMooEgg Sr Member

I was distraught when the changes were revealed, but the Avengers' version has grown on me. It looks more "finished" and comic-booky than the Thor version.

9. BILLSID29

BILLSID29 New Member

Avengers hammer looks better IMO.

10. Demoriel

Demoriel Member

I like the beefyness of the Avengers hammer by far.

11. gofourindian

gofourindian New Member

Resin....so I wouldn't think it would be as expensive as the MR version...but you know how that goes. I prefer the Thor hammer...it's the original. Also, I think some scroll work around the new hammer end cap as it is on the hammer head would have looked nice.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  12. yeek

yeek Member

Thanks to everyone above for the info...yep, it shouldn't be priced higher than the MR version if it's resin...hopefully

13. MonsterGlue

MonsterGlue New Member

Awesome insights! Hopefully EFX's price comes out to be way cheaper than MR's, but regardless their replica appears to be very accurate to the one used in The Avengers.

14. Braytak

Braytak Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

thats awesome

15. Dargas

Dargas Member

Resin? bummer... I let the first metal one slip my grasp and I was hopin to be able to buy the avengers version in metal. Seems that's not going to happen. I'm an old guy but I would like to be able to pick it up every now and then and being able to swing it a few times without being afraid of it braking by centrifuge force or falling to the floor and cracking...

16. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Since I already have the Sideshow hammer on preorder, I'm hoping someone here makes an Avengers style handle to swap out, assuming the SS hammer head is threaded like the real movie hammers.

17. BlindSquirrel

BlindSquirrel Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I like them equally but obviously with these movies, it's all about continuity. Mjolnir is the one thing that would never change. I think it was a BS move to change an ancient artifact....especially for a literal move, design-wise.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  18. galmando

galmando Member

I'm still waiting for the last payment on the MR hammer, i like both versions and will probably get both in the end

For those interested, MR's is up for pre-order again on sideshow, says that there's 30 or less left

19. GeneralFROSTY

At least the hammer head stayed the same! I too am a Continuity freak. Had the entire hammer been redesigned, I'd be pretty livid.

20. yeek

yeek Member

They probably did the change for marketing reasons for Thor and Avengers separately. A slight change in design would mean different licenses and more possibilities for the toys, replica props, etc. Thus, museum replicas and efx can make one but still are not the same.

21. rocket20

rocket20 Active Member

I agree. In the Marvel world, how do explain Mjolnir changing? Hair, yes. Suit, yes. Hammer? No way.

22. GeneralFROSTY

Or, the Director was strict on a design change. I'm sure the powers-that-be at Marvel were all about continuity, which may be why the hammer head stayed the same.
    Besides, who's to say that Odin didn't have the hammer refurbished with a new handle wrapping?

23. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have to agree with the masses, the Avengers hammer. For me I just prefer the color of the leather better.

24. GeneralFROSTY

Not just the color, but the raised ornate details are much more in tune with the beauty of Asgard.

25. joshimus

joshimus Active Member

Hey guys,

Just a heads up that the Sideshow (Museum Replicas) Hammer is now less than 20 units available.

I jumped on it today after they froze sales a couple of days ago due to an inventory check. Its back on now and they have already sold 10 since yesterday.

Good Luck!

26. MonsterGlue

MonsterGlue New Member

I just found more information regarding the EFX Collectibles "The Avengers Movie Collectibles" featuring Thor's Hammer and Helmet, Captain's Helmet and Shield, and Iron Man's helmet. They all look amazing and can't wait for them to be up for sale. Especially the hammer replica.

Pictures below are from:
    THE AVENGERS Movie eFX Collectible Replicas Displayed At WonderCon 2012
    Click on the link to see more.

"Thanks to Collider & IdleHands, we have photos of the displayed eFx replica helmets for Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America, in addition to the first Avenger's vibranium shield, and the God of Thunder's mighty Mjolnir!"

One comment said:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And YES, the Museum Replica Hammers at https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=901440 are now up for pre-order again with a very low number of less than 20 REMAINING.

27. Braytak

Braytak Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

yea i like the avengers one better , it just looks more complete

28. GeneralFROSTY

Still waiting patiently for the "word" from Sideshow that their replica is ready to ship. Site still says there are less than 10 available with ship date "May" so I'm hoping we get these out before the end of the month.
    Without a doubt, if the efx items look like they do in those photos, they can count me in for the shield and hammer.

29. GeneralFROSTY

Sideshow now has the due date pushed to next month. I kinda saw this coming when there were no shipping updates by mid-month.
    Honestly, like the efx replicas, this item should have been ready for sale as soon as the movie hit theaters - "strike while the iron is hot"

30. MooMooEgg

MooMooEgg Sr Member

Id rather the hammer weigh more and cost me a little more when it comes to shipping. :cry

31. GeneralFROSTY

Yeah, it'd be cool if it was heavier, but five pounds aint bad considering I own the Disguise hammer, which despite being a costume accesory, is actually a decent placeholder for a high-end replica, and also a suitable replica for the casual fan.

32. AceD

AceD New Member

I also prefer the avengers hammer, looks way better!

33. MonsterGlue

MonsterGlue New Member

Seriously. The movie is ridiculously popular now and there is people out there looking for replicas to buy. It is a shame EFX doesn't have them for sale yet, (who knows when?) while they are in demand. Even SideShow has only NOW released a movie replica from THOR(movie last year) while everyone is into Avengers replicas now. I know gaining the rights to make the replicas and finding the guys who make it take a while, but they need to take advantage when the movie is getting released.

I do not expect to see my SideShow Thor hammer til July due to their slow progression.

34. hikarub

hikarub Well-Known Member

That hammer looks freakin cool. I'm gonna have to join in and admit that I prefer the The Avengers version of Mjolnir to the Thor version. It just looks better. If the eFX version is significantly cheaper than the Museum Replicas one then I'm definitely gonna get me a hammer. I'll probably get the shield too while I'm at it...

35. GeneralFROSTY

Sideshow has now moved the release date to July.
    I saw this coming which means it will likely be changed again. It's possible we won't see this until August I bet.

36. theavengerguy

theavengerguy New Member

the helmet looks so epic...too bad it's gonna be epically priced too

37. kdflash

kdflash Active Member

I like the avengers hammer really digging the raised handle and the metal end

38. Jetpack Braggin

Jetpack Braggin New Member

Does anyone know if the raised handle is several pieces or one piece wrapped around?

39. Sporkey

Sporkey Well-Known Member

I believe it is just one piece spiraled around the handle.

40. robram44

robram44 New Member

I think the new hammer looks way better.

41. third3ye

third3ye Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I like the Avengers Mjolnir design but now that eFX has announced it's resin not metal AND they basically really suck at managing deadlines, I'm just going to bite the bullet on the MR Mjolnir and then see what pricing eFX has for theirs and maybe upgrade down the road.

Sideshow shows less than 100 available now, wonder if MR pushed the release date back because of delays AND wanting to fill in more orders than their original production capacity.

Interesting that the MR hammer is listed at 5 lbs despite being metal, while eFX is said to be heavier and is resin, but maybe the final version will weigh the same as MR.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  42. Ultimate Cap

Ultimate Cap New Member

Thor's avengers hammer is just a better looking hammer.

Looks a bit more majestic and more fitting if a god.

* I hope those predicted prices are correct for efx. I'd like a shield and helmet and a hammer. Lol

But liking and affording are two separate hammers.

43. LACrimeGuy

LACrimeGuy Well-Known Member

I would say the THOR Hammer from The Avengers. See both of my videos links below.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  44. Eaglewood

Eaglewood Sr Member

This is not from Dark world or the first Thor movie-- but it IS solid Titanium!!!!
    IMG_20131218_144412_010.jpg

Also LA Crime Guy above owns 2 of my pieces as well