"NEW TESB" YODA head (Completed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Cyberman, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Cyberman

Cyberman Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've been working, on and off, on this head sculpt based on the Stuart Freeborn version of Yoda... The Master version as I call it. The trick being to capture not just a good likesness but the essence of Yoda or his Character.

In trying to do this I've used a similiar water based clay to Freeborn and tried to capture not just the proportions but the skin texture and style of the Artists work (or approach). Not every wrinkle is in the right place (as that would take forever) but I've tried to get at least 60 - 70% of these accurate.

I've decided to show off a few angles of this creation to get your views and feedback.. If you need to know anything else about this work please don't hesitate to ask.
    [​IMG]

My plan is to create a solid cast version of this work for a client and a Latex puppet version to use on tour with a charity fundraising group in the UK.

Cheers

Cyb.

2. steveo

steveo Sr Member

Wow, looks awesome. Great job. You have any pics that aren't from a birdseye view? Kudos.

3. HDPE

HDPE Well-Known Member

Major alert on the RPF , our member Cyberman is no other than Stuart Freeborn.
    :lol

4. Cyberman

Heres a composited shot of my sculpt into the overalls LOL ;)

[​IMG]

5. fettster

fettster Sr Member

looks great, i wish you had colour photos tho, the black and white makes it look like zombie yoda.lol.

seriously, looks really great

6. Cyberman

<div class='quotetop'>(fettster @ Jun 4 2006, 02:18 PM) [snapback]1255925[/snapback]</div>

LOL

The clays a browny red colour so I thought it might thow you - so better to show it off in B&W

7. cking

cking Sr Member

Nice to see this revealed at last Cyb.
    Excellent work on the texturing - very reminiscent of Stuart Freeborn's work. He'd be proud of you.
    I can't wait to see what a latex version looks like.

Chris

8. billy1974

billy1974 Well-Known Member

Amazing job Cyberman. You have succeeded in capturing his "essence". Congrats on a job well done. Bill

9. TomSpinaDesigns

TomSpinaDesigns Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

fantastic job, bud.

It's nice to see someone go for the open-mouth look as well. That add's a lot of authenticity to the piece and gives it a real "screen used" kind of feel :D

If you can, post some shots from the front at eye level... your shots are all from sides and above.

Tom

10. vader71

vader71 Sr Member

Thats excellent looking.

11. Cyberman

Heres the front view.

[​IMG]

Cheers

Phil

12. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

AWESOME...

I´m working on a CKING Yoda right now and thought it would be the best, but yours looks like a serious competitor for the yoda throne :):thumbsup

Markus

13. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

That looks fantastic. Great likeness.

14. Ghost Host

Ghost Host Sr Member

Looks great. I want one.

15. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member

Any chance you could do these in tinted silicon as an alternative to latex??? This thing is so beautiful I would hate to see it dry rot. And you can't punch hair on solid cast. Also, if the solid cast one is not hollow, how would one go about putting in glass eyes?

Dave :)

16. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

Thats all out amazing.

17. jme3

jme3 Sr Member

Great work. :) When and how much...?:D

18. GINO

GINO Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If these become available, I'd love one. Looks great.
    I'll be at the exhibit today or tomorrow. Let me know if you want any close up pics or solid orthographic view shots (front, profile, rear, etc...)

19. Cyberman

Thanks guys for the encouragement.

I'll consider all ideas about molding this... is it possible to pull a silicone head out of a silicone mold?

Cheers

Phil

PS... If anyone needs to know anything more about this creation please feel free to PM me

<div class='quotetop'>(GINO @ Jun 4 2006, 04:55 PM) [snapback]1256000[/snapback]</div>
    Hi GINO..

Try and get some clear shots of the back of the head and the side... I'm especially struggling with views of the areas behind the ears and neck and the top of the head from the back. Other than that just real close views of the eyes to see if I've missed anything.

All the best, and thanks.

Cyb.

20. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

:eek WOW. That is some mighty impressive work. Looking forward to more updates, and the opportunity to get a casting :thumbsup

21. GINO

GINO Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Will do.
    I'll get an overload of photos.

22. Cyberman

<div class='quotetop'>(GINO @ Jun 4 2006, 05:16 PM) [snapback]1256014[/snapback]</div>

Thanks again mate ;)

23. gonk27

gonk27 Sr Member

"Incredible that is, yes.

Want one I do."

Best Yoda I've ever seen.

Jeremy

24. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>(gonk27 @ Jun 4 2006, 02:46 PM) [snapback]1256061[/snapback]</div>

umm yeah dude, i was like now thats a good lookin yoda sculpt, then tom requested a pic of the face head on...

uhh... yeah. WOW. :eek

very VERY nice work, and the fact that it looks that good, but you still want pics of behind his ears...

thats being a perfectionist.

cant wait to see this baby finished and painted up.

and it WOULD be great to see a yoda made in a silicone like substance to stand the test of time... and after we saw what could be done with the freddy mask thats recently been poppin up, i see many possibilitys, a yoda being one, may have to reinforce it or make some kind of inner structure to keep the overall shape, but could be cool.

and Gino, id love to see what all pics youll be snappin.

keep us posted, and once again great sculpt... :thumbsup :thumbsup

25. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Nice to see this sculpt finally revealed.

Looks great Phil, tremendous work as usual. :thumbsup

Al

26. frosty

frosty Sr Member

great sculpt, can't wait to see him done, i would prefer to see a foam latex or cold foam version, silicone would not look right, we need him in all his muppety goodness

27. Howard

Howard Sr Member

Cyberman, that's fantastic. :confused

28. steveo

steveo Sr Member

As much is it looks awesome and very close, it still is not "accurate". Although to date, it is the most accurate and awesome that I've seen. Yoda's head is a bit more pointy on top

[attachmentid=8405]

maybe just the angle of the photos, but your version he seems to have a more rounded top.

29. Cyberman

[​IMG]

Thanks for that pic.

Heres a quick comparrision i've done which shows it to be surprising close without even using that reference pic as a guide image. I'll check this out with all my other photos and images to see if it not just the angle or the way this particular puppet head has been assembled...

Nick Maley told me not one of the heads was exactly the same. It was how the skin was layed over the skull but I'll definately look into these proportions... Thanks for making me aware of it.

Cyb. :)

30. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

WOW.

:eek

31. fettpride

fettpride Well-Known Member

WANT ONE .

Awesome work man ... seriously awesome .

If there is a list coming, I'm in .

FP

32. victory201

victory201 Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Outstanding..........

If there is a list, sign me up too.

It would be great if there was a latex version.

DJ

33. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

I'd reccomend a silicon version. Silicon doesn't ROT. hehe

34. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I agree. Latex will break down over time (check out some of the IC ones) A silicone version would be outstandingand I would SO be in for one.

35. steveo

steveo Sr Member

No problem. I hope it helps. I have a few others as well. I know how hard it is to tell, depending on angles, photo lenses and distance pic was taken. It can really distort things. Other things I noticed - his chin is a bit more pointy and his neck seems to be a tad bit thinner where it meets his chin. But don't let this nitpicky stuff get to you. I think you've done a fantastic job and you're an extremely gifted and talented sculpter. Keep up the great work.

36. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Man, what a job. Looks fantastic. :thumbsup

37. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

I'm speechless....holy cow....

38. Cyberman

I'll work on some modifications and post the next batch of pics later in the week. I'm working on the hands aswell. ;)

39. natty15d

natty15d Well-Known Member

Looking VERY good so far :)

Glad to hear your doing the hands this time, feet as well please ;)

Nathan :)

40. JRX

JRX Well-Known Member

That is fantastice looking - :eek :eek :eek ... I'd love to have one
    when you are offering copies of it ... :) :) :)

41. ReelManiac

ReelManiac New Member

You should maybe try self-skinning polyfoam. It can hold some pretty incredible detail and I don't think it rots like regular foam, or shrinks like latex.

42. Keith

Keith Sr Member

That look fantastic. The best one i've seen so far.
    Well done :)

Keith.

43. Cyberman

<div class='quotetop'>(ReelManiac @ Jun 5 2006, 10:05 AM) [snapback]1256460[/snapback]</div>

Where can you get this material? Sounds very interesting... Only thing with the Rubber/ flexible approach is I'll probably need to create a hard inner shell (i.e. a skull) which isn't gonna be easy.

Cheers

Cyb.

44. TomSpinaDesigns

TomSpinaDesigns Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think he's probably talking about a basic flexible eurathane foam like you'd back a foam-filled latex piece with. A "cold foam" so to speak. They do make self-skinning versions of that foam and it pics up detail well. That would be an ideal solution for a solid display piece (and would hold up much better than hot foam latex, which is very different from poly foam).

Naturally, well supported quality latex (cast in a decent thickness) will also last a long, long time if it's kept out of sun/UV and such.

The cold foam would probably be a close match to the texture or "feel" of the hot foam skins used on the originals.

I don't care for silicone on a yoda just because the translucency wasn't there on the original. It's part of what made the E1 Yoda look "wrong" IMO.

tom

45. Cyberman

Heres a Transform using some artwork Natty did earlier

[​IMG]

Shows the nose needs to be bigger and the mouth dropped slightly aswell as the upper head proportions.

Heres GINOs overlay showing mods required
    [​IMG]

Cyb.

46. cking

cking Sr Member

Cyb,

Be very careful before making adjustments to mouth position etc. You've got to be certain that the photos are the exact same angle before you move things around like that.
    I agree that the nose should be bigger though. Also, check the thickness of the ears at the point where they meet the side of the head.

Chris

47. Cyberman

Will do bud... ;)

<div class='quotetop'>(cking @ Jun 5 2006, 04:27 PM) [snapback]1256626[/snapback]</div>

48. steveo

steveo Sr Member

His top lip, the center part, needs to be rounded more and not so angular. Don't you hate all the nitpicking? :) Hope this is helpful and not discouraging. I would tend to think that everyone thinks your sculpt is fantastic, but could use some helpful criticism which is hopefully why you posted.

49. cking

cking Sr Member

Regarding the more pointed head - I think you should try and make that change. At the moment, it's more reminiscent of the rounded shape on the head of the digital Yoda from Episode 3. Everything else looks a lot better than the digital Yoda though. :)

Chris

50. Cyberman

<div class='quotetop'>(steveo @ Jun 5 2006, 04:33 PM) [snapback]1256629[/snapback]</div>
    This is true. ;)