New SW Expanded Universe would be better right?

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
http://www.blastr.com/2017-6-9/star-wars-reveals-how-sith-lightsabers-get-their-color :facepalm

Between Mon Calamari ships now being buildings they make into ships (instead of the first Rebel versions being converted cruise ships), and now this, I'm glad I am not reading the new EU. It's like they are trying to make it worse than the old. Remember how happy and gushing a lot of people were on here about how now the EU would be perfect and it would be so much better? All I've seen is them trying to make it more goofy.

I honestly don't mind the whole "bleeding" process. And I like how the sith have to kill a Jedi to rob them of their kyber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I honestly didn't care about the expanded universe before and I don't care about it now. I'll watch a movie every couple of years, but otherwise, I just don't care.

I like some of the stuff, mostly thrawn and the bounty hunters. Han Luke and Elias kids heeeehhh not so much

Remember how happy and gushing a lot of people were on here about how now the EU would be perfect and it would be so much better? All I've seen is them trying to make it more goofy.

Given how a lot of their new characters aren't Force users, I'd say they're doing a pretty good job at respecting the Star Wars universe in general. We even got a whole movie centered around characters who can't use the Force! That would never have happened in the previous canon. This new canon really emphasizes how you don't need to be a Force user to matter in the grand scheme of things.

The new novels and comics are serving to support a robust film release schedule. They aren't occurring in a content vacuum like the previous "EU". They aren't currently using written works to tell entirely different stories, they are using it to fill in aspects of the new film canon. So apples and oranges.

I always go back to the same example whenever I need to refer to how ridiculous the old EU could get:

One-armed Wampa.

That is all.

I am more concerned about the Mon Calamari ships being buildings. That makes absolutely zero sense.

For a society that lives under water it does, if anything it makes more sense for something that was built under water that can go into space, than a spaceship that can go underwater, and I say that as a fan of star trek into darkness.

I'm reviving this in order not to start a new thread. Anyway I can't find the story now, but apparently there's a new book that supposedly explains how Rey became proficient in the Force so quickly. Now I liked Rey as a character initially, I just think they advanced her Force skills too quickly. So the book says that when she fights Snoke, she connects with his mind and essentially downloads his knowledge, though it says she didn't necessarily understand everything. That's just ridiculous. If you could do that there would be no need for the Jedi Temple or Sith being apprentices. They'd just have the master give them that knowledge. I think this is exactly the problem people were saying would happen with the "everything is canon now" idea.

The other is a Vader comic that apparently "introduces" the idea that the Force picks a vessel for the Force. Well that's how all Jedi or Sith are made. I think they might be trying to make us believe that Rey is like Anakin. We still don't know if the Force creating a person is really a thing or if Darth Plagueis had him created. Either way I don't think that Snoke/Kylo Ren are that big of a threat like the Sith to warrant the Force to create another super Force user. Still if we assume that Rey is picked by the Force to be a powerful Force user, she still would have to train. Anakin learned and mastered things extremely quickly, but he still had to train over 10 years.

I honestly don't mind the whole "bleeding" process. And I like how the sith have to kill a Jedi to rob them of their kyber

Why can't Sith just get their own Kyber?

What happens if there are more Sith than Jedi and all the Sith want a Lightsaber?

Does Darth Maul have to rob two Jedi?

Why not just steal a Jedi Lightsaber and use it as-is?

Inquiring minds want to know....:confused

MrSouthPaw beat me to it:

1) Do jedi care what color crystal they end up with? Have we seen anywhere that dictates why a jedi gets a crystal of any given color and whether the jedi cares?
2) Why should sith care about having a red lightsaber blade- because it's "cool"? I can see why building their own lightsaber would be meaningful as a personal statement, but if they didn't care about the color as a jedi, I would think they couldn't give a bantha's behind about what color their saber is as a sith.

I don't know what in the world this torturing crystals to get red lightsabers thing is.

I've been enjoying the new films (despite episode seven feeling like a New Hope copy), and I loved the old EU when I was younger. I mean, come on, Mara Jade is a badass. There's issues here and there throughout the varied Star Wars universe(s) but overall I am fine with both.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back