Star Trek: Picard

If it is, then its wrong since Starfleet uniforms of that era should look like this:
Alternate-barclay.jpg

But then again, this is the Prime Universe, not the Star Trek Canon universe, the 25% rule and all that. ;)

maybe it's an academy uniform, and they kept the "old" style :p

maybe it's like modern military, and there's 23 different uniform variants that are all allowed or required under different circumstances.

B0763FEC-0986-48A0-9965-54993C105090.jpeg

I think the setting in that production photo is at a food court in a 24th century shopping mall. Retired Starfleet Admiral Picard is seeking help from a stranger to assist him in locating where he parked his car.

“Yes, young man, I used the ‘clicker’ to honk the horn and, you, know...nothing! The license plate says ‘MKITSO’...”

The antique Starfleet uniform, seen in the corner of the photo, is actually a 24th century kid wearing their version of a “hip military fatigue jacket” and hanging out near the “Cinnabon”.

Picard is very different from where we last left him, indeed...

Last edited:
I don't know, he kind of looks like what he's hearing is the dumbest thing he's even heard. Maybe he's listening to Westley, all grown up.

The mall scenario would fit; Westley would definitely end up working at the afornentioned cinibun.

Maybe it's like modern military, and there's 23 different uniform variants that are all allowed or required under different circumstances.

You mean the US Navy, they have tons of uniforms and, last time I checked, still divided into summer and winter variants. For other branches, particularly the USMC, it's not that bad, we have 2 sets of fatigues (woodland and desert), a PT uniform, service dress uniforms which has 3 variations (blouse, no blouse with long sleeved shirt & tie, no blouse with short sleeve shirt), optional dress blue uniform which can be worn sans the dark blue blouse and with either the long or short sleeved khaki shirts.

I agree...I never cared for those uniforms.

If the pants went any higher, they would be in Broccoli’s armpits.

Aside from the late season main Starfleet uniform, none of the Starfleet uniform designs on the show were particularly good. I always thought that their dress uniforms were horrible and very obviously made on a budget, it wasn't until Nemesis(?) with the introduction of the dress whites did they finally give them a decent looking dress uniform.

Make sure to do as Sir Patrick Stewart told us…. to binge it, after it has aired.

It's almost like they want the least amount of people to watch these new ST shows by insisting on their CBS service. That doesn't make sense to me.

Makes perfect sense: the show runner of STD and Picard Alex Kurtzman said it himself, that he does not like Star Trek, he doesn't know Star Trek, can't tell the difference between Voyager and DS9. He wants to create his own canon.

Netflix seems to have said it best: NO THANKS.
Since they won't stream the new show.

Looks like a Voyager era uniform.

Nah. The collars aren't the same. Voyager had the shirt collars under the outer uniform. This one has a collar on the outer uniform.

upload_2019-5-16_13-48-14.jpeg

If anything, it looks closer to an old Academy uniform.... But would they still be using the same ones about 30 years later?

tumblr_pe6qwldCjp1sn5qgyo1_500.jpg

Totally believable. The uniforms at our military service academies are essentially the same as they were 30, or more, years ago.

The same goes for the Marine Corps, we haven't changed our service dress and dress blues in at least 30 years.

Here's the problem, though. When Starfleet's Class C uniform (the "BDUs" from DS9 and Voyager) was introduced, they used the Academy uniform from "The First Duty", et al, as inspiration. And, to differentiate the Academy uniform from the very-similar "work uniforms", this was introduced...

NogCadetReal.jpg

...which remained the Academy uniform for the rest of the "contemporary" era, up until it was replaced at some point by the "Endgame"/"All Good Things..." era Academy uniform...

Star-Trek-Voyager-25th-Century-Cadet-Uniform-3.jpg

So by the time of the Picard series we should be a couple iterations past that old Academy uniform... But, I suppose, to quote Brannon Braga, "Continuity is for wussies".

Well...at least they look like they could easily belong within the established continuity.

I had expected a future iteration of the Discovery track suits to show up...

Perhaps we will see similar TNG era prop designs?

Last edited:
Make sure to do as Sir Patrick Stewart told us…. to binge it, after it has aired.

Makes perfect sense: the show runner of STD and Picard Alex Kurtzman said it himself, that he does not like Star Trek, he doesn't know Star Trek, can't tell the difference between Voyager and DS9. He wants to create his own canon.

Netflix seems to have said it best: NO THANKS.
Since they won't stream the new show.

Ok so this is a giant pass for me then if it's not even canon.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back