Limited Run New Run - Romulan Ale - Beware of Romulans Bearing Gifts

awol007

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Update 10/16:

15 total and they will be delivered by Christmas. The last one took me so long that I had to come up with an easy way to build these this time, which I have. So, I'll go ahead and add people who have asked to the be in the next run to the list first and if you want to back out that's fine too. Same detail as before. I'm only going to accept orders for this run until next Monday the 21st of November just so I have enough time to get everything shipped by Christmas.

1. Going to put them up for $65.
  2. This will be a limited run but not limited quantity. So I think I'll do 15 spots. If the 15 spots fill up and you already said you're interested you'll get a spot.
  3. Just add $8 per for shipping and I'll take care of the difference (US ONLY). For international DM me first for a shipping quote please.
  4. PayPal friends and family: alan.washington@gmail.com
Updated pics on page 3.
(FYI if you don't have a number by your name don't worry. Yours is still getting made)

New Run 11/16
1. scottsusernames (paid)
2. AnthonyD2199
3. Opus Penguin (paid)
4. Corellianexports
5. Keiko
6. strategicgfy
7. Marc Wagner
8. blobcat (paid)
9. Merlyn007 2x (paid)
10. Jediwannabe (paid)

1. Apollo (paid)
2. trekker670 (paid)
3. Picard102 (paid)
4. juvatwad (paid)
5. enterprise0216 (paid)

6. bill313 (paid)
7. Krieger (paid)

8. bjjensen 2x (paid)
9. goldcylon (paid)
10. Mechamaniac (paid)
11. Lt Washburn (paid)
12. GrenadeKing 2x (paid)
13. starbuc (paid)

14. Treeman (paid) (Need Address)
15. Professor Galen (paid)
16. kertratz (paid)

17. ALLEY (paid)
18. Ponyboy (paid)
19. theriker (paid)
20. peter1701 (paid)

21. ShipOfLights (paid)
22. Fatswaller78 (paid)
23. E Williams (paid) (Need Address)

24. sanjoelo 2x (paid) (Need Address)
25. TheMadGasser (paid) (Need Address)

26. mpasche
27. JANDERS10 (paid)
28. sapper36 (paid)
29. Rajman1138 2x (paid)

My first prototype Wrath of Khan Romulan Ale Bottle. This is my first stab at it so it's a rough take and not perfect. Next one I'll polish more to make it a keeper but I was basically learning as I went with this one and trying out new things. It's all cnc'ed clear acrylic and surprisingly it's water tight (i surprised myself with that one lol). I plan on making more to sell in the near future and will be adding the Romulan logo to this one next week sometime. Two things I want to change in the next one: I'm going to make the "cork" taller and I'm going to add a recessed o-ring so it stays put when attached. Otherwise it will be pretty close to this one just more precise and shiny. Learned a lot with with one to make others quicker and better for sure. I've seen other Romulan ale bottles but most haven't mimics the Wrath of Khan version where the top has spaces in-between the rings.

Dimensions: 10.5 Inches tall and 3 Inches wide

RomulanAle1.pngRomulanAle4.pngRomulanAle3.pngRomulanAle2.png

This is the original one used in The Wrath of Khan

RomulanAle5.jpg

Attachments

• 20210901_194550.jpg
    20210901_194550.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 367
Last edited:
You probably have this figured out, but I'm going to type it out anyway. In addition to the original having a thinner ring on the bottom layer (3/16?), the gaps are clearly narrower than the thickness of the rest of the rings, you have them equal which makes everything look too tall. But if you make the cap taller and adjust the spacing to compensate it should be closer. What thickness of plex are you using for the rings?

You probably have this figured out, but I'm going to type it out anyway. In addition to the original having a thinner ring on the bottom layer (3/16?), the gaps are clearly narrower than the thickness of the rest of the rings, you have them equal which makes everything look too tall. But if you make the cap taller and adjust the spacing to compensate it should be closer. What thickness of plex are you using for the rings?
I don't disagree with you because it does look that way but when you you actually measure it it seems to be really close. BUT they aren't uniform:
spacing.png
I think like most props they probably just used what they had at the time. Or they might get gradually thicker as you go up the pyramid. So, I chose to go with .25 inches or roughly 6.4mm for them all to make it easier. To be honest I was more curious to see if I could do it because I hadn't worked with acrylic much and wasn't sure how it would turn out.

Now one thing that might be throwing you off is the angle incline. The original appears to be 70 degrees whereas mine is 80 degrees. I'll probably try and mill some out at 70 degrees and see how much of a difference it makes.

I'm going to work on some precision numbers tonight and see what I can come up with for the top (angle and each ring size/spacing).

Last edited:
Hey guys, here's some documentation that I've got permission to share so you or anyone else can make accurate STII: TWOK Romulan Ale decanters. These dimensions were taken by norbauer (RPF member) directly off the screen-used prop that was owned by squib (I don't think they're a member here). The label graphic was also traced off the original prop graphic. There was going to be a replica released by Roddenberry.com but it didn't get past the prototype stage by the point they left the replica business. I'm just passing this along, credit goes to those mentioned above.

ST2 TWOK Romulan Ale Decanter Prop Bottle Dimensions Share.png

ST2 TWOK Romulan Ale Decanter Prop Stopper Dimensions Share.png

ST2 TWOK Romulan Ale Decanter Prop Label Tracing.png

I have an .ai file of this label graphic but the forum won't let me upload it. Any idea?

All this was documented off the screen-used prop that was sold at the Profiles in History Hollywood Auction 83, Summer 2016, lot # 1593:

ST2 TWOK Romulan Ale Decanter Prop PIH 1593.jpg

It was bought by squib who after examining it in person shared:
I can tell you that the top piece is not milled from a single piece of acrylic. Instead, it is made from an inner tube and the outer rings were welded on. The bottom most ring is welded into the body tube. The base does appear to have been milled from a single piece with the top of the base welded into the body tube. The stopper is made from two pieces welded together. There is some crazing on the top piece because of all the welding and the age of the piece.

If I come across more I can share, I will.

Last edited:
That's awesome. Thanks for the share. Those numbers are pretty close to what I came up with too. I'll share my drawing mockup when I get to my shop later.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back