New Revell Imperial Star Destroyer kit?

cellarboy

Watching the latest "Star Wars Show", I saw this fella tucked up in the corner with a bunch of Rogue One merch.

Does this look like a new or repackaged kit? Or is the box art recognizably an older release? It's Revell, so probably nothing to get too excited about.

star wars.jpg

Boy, that sure DOES look like a kit, don't it. And if the pic on the box is a photo of the actual kit, they may have the proportions kinda-sorta-almost-semi accurate-ish.

Also look on the back wall behind hologram girl. That's a new AT-AT kit and, I think, a U-Wing. Look like smaller snap kits. Definitely Revell (damn it).

Wow, that´s awesome news! Both the AT-ACT and U-Wing will be tiny though judging from the box.

Boy, that sure DOES look like a kit, don't it. And if the pic on the box is a photo of the actual kit, they may have the proportions kinda-sorta-almost-semi accurate-ish.

Revell usually DOES get the proportions right when there seems to be CAD data available (Ep. III, Clone Wars and Ep. VII stuff), they just suck with Ep. IV-VI stuff. Hard to say what the box art shows but I don´t think it shows the actual kit.
I wonder what the detail will be like, but past experience makes me expect many simplifications. :( Revell´s plastic is good to work with though so at least the kit could be a good base to work from. :) If one can accept the scale of 1/anything...

Wouldn't get your hopes up. This is Revell remember.
If it's similar quality to their Venator, happy days:-D
But it's probably a repop of the old MPC kit, which also had a stunning Stardestroyer pic on the box. :-(

Wouldn't get your hopes up. This is Revell remember.
If it's similar quality to their Venator, happy days:-D
But it's probably a repop of the old MPC kit, which also had a stunning Stardestroyer pic on the box. :-(

Sorry but Revell has NEVER rereleased ANY mpc Star Wars kit, but people still expect them to do... I wonder why?

If they used a pic from the movie, I'm even more skeptical of what they put in the box. But here's hoping that we get a repeat of last year where Revell put out their chunky, toy-like Falcon kits and Bandai put out their accurate, nicely detailed and fun to build Falcon kit. A decent sized Bandai star destroyer would instantly become the must-have kit for this fall.

Revell usually DOES get the proportions right when there seems to be CAD data available (Ep. III, Clone Wars and Ep. VII stuff)

They don't get them right. Some examples: the Eta-fighter from Ep III is wrong below the cockpit, the ARC is wrong there too at least in details. I didn't buy more past- Ep I Prequel stuff from them, so I can't comment on the other ones (but again, the EP I kits I built from them have proportion issues, too). The Revell JJPrise has many shape flaws, too. Revell just don't do proper research. Plus, their panel lines and detail quality are horrible. The old AMT/MPC-kits are still better IMO. For example the AMT podracer is so much better than the Revell one...

i hope they redid the kit in the same quality of the vanator kit. the picture of the bridge doesnt match up with the ones from rogue one/ANH does it?

They don't get them right. Some examples: the Eta-fighter from Ep III is wrong below the cockpit, the ARC is wrong there too at least in details. I didn't buy more past- Ep I Prequel stuff from them, so I can't comment on the other ones (but again, the EP I kits I built from them have proportion issues, too). The Revell JJPrise has many shape flaws, too. Revell just don't do proper research. Plus, their panel lines and detail quality are horrible. The old AMT/MPC-kits are still better IMO. For example the AMT podracer is so much better than the Revell one...

I always considered Revell´s Eta-2 and ARC-170 as some of their best kits, at least they have few flaws and so did even the Fine Molds kits (not just little flaws, but severe proportional issues). Might you be so kind to send me a PM and tell me what exactly is wrong with the Eta-2 and ARC-170? I have both kits and would like to correct them if there´s something wrong. Thanks! :)

darth_daniel, it's been a long time that I worked on them, but as far as I remember, it's the following: On the Eta, there is sort of a wing fillet between the wings and the cockpit "egg". The proportions of these parts are off a lot (if my memory doesn't trick me, the edge of the upper line is in the center on the Revell kit, where it should be at about 1/3rd of the length. This causes more shape issues of these prominent parts.) I didn't check how good the rest of the outline and details matched, as I didn't have the chronicles back then yet.

On the ARC, the most prominent error I remember is that they missed the window on the fuselage sides (guess it was only printed black), I am not sure if it interferred with the interior when corrected. The interior is out of proportions, as are the figures. I remember that there is a feature artice on phoxim which deals with correcting the ARC.

Hope this helps!

darth_daniel, it's been a long time that I worked on them, but as far as I remember, it's the following: On the Eta, there is sort of a wing fillet between the wings and the cockpit "egg". The proportions of these parts are off a lot (if my memory doesn't trick me, the edge of the upper line is in the center on the Revell kit, where it should be at about 1/3rd of the length. This causes more shape issues of these prominent parts.) I didn't check how good the rest of the outline and details matched, as I didn't have the chronicles back then yet.

On the ARC, the most prominent error I remember is that they missed the window on the fuselage sides (guess it was only printed black), I am not sure if it interferred with the interior when corrected. The interior is out of proportions, as are the figures. I remember that there is a feature artice on phoxim which deals with correcting the ARC.

Hope this helps!

Okay thanks for the hints! I knew about the missing windows on the ARC-170 but that´s easily corrected as the cockpit needs to be rebuilt anyway, I still consider it a good kit.
Comparing the Eta-2 model to some screenshots I see a slight error in the angled section between cockpit and wings but still nothing that ruins the general shape.
Anyway, thanks again, I guess it´s more wishful thinking that I believe Revell can still produce something useful. Let´s wait for this ISD and see... :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back