New Project - My Son's Desert Skiff Bed

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by azheat01, Jan 28, 2012.

1. azheat01

azheat01 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So last week my son walked up to me and said, "Daddy, will you make me something?" I figured he was just hungry and wanted a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I then asked what he wanted and he said "a bed". When I asked him what kind of bed he showed me this toy of his:

1.JPG

I so don't have the skills to pull off something like this so I humored him and said "we'll see", thinking he would forget about it in a day or two. When I dropped him off to school later that week he said, "you go work on my bed". I said OK, and shrugged it off. When I went back a few hours later and picked him up, the first thing he said was "Is my bed done yet?"

That's when I realized I had no other choice but to try and pull this off. So, my R2-D2 project is on hold for a little while and away we go.............

3.JPG

2.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

8.JPG

I quickly learned this was beyond my skill level. The design, as you can clearly see, needed heavy modification to fit my expertise level. My son is so excited each day we work on this (despite only having a vague similarity to the toy) and seeing him smile is all that matters.

This is 2 days of work, I have more in store, including the control panel with switches, LEDs, and some sound and I have an idea for one of the sail wings. We also picked up the paint today, more to come...........

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  2. Mattastic13

Mattastic13 Well-Known Member

What a great dad! Good job!

3. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool man! Don't sell yourself short.

Here is the truth of it:

WHAT YOU SEE:

[​IMG]

WHAT YOUR SON SEES:

[​IMG]

4. Robert412

Robert412 Well-Known Member

Awesome!

I think you made some really good rational choices. Remember... This is just a structure. The wow-ing is in the finish work!

Also, how old is your son? To look at his toy and think, "this would make an awesome bed!"

It's in him... He's one of us.

5. Tommyfilth

Tommyfilth Active Member

Looks Awesome, a coat of paint and some blaster burns and it'll be the envy of the neighborhood.

6. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

That's awesome!

7. JasonCash

JasonCash Well-Known Member

you are one very cool Dad for doing this...... Bravo sir....

8. DAVIDYR1

DAVIDYR1 Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Most awesome of you. Your son is very luck to have such a cool Dad...good for you bud.

David

9. azheat01

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback.

My son is 19..............kidding, he's 5, funny thing is he was also thinking about a Landspeeder bed. He has the new Playskool Landspeeder and showed me that as well. Funny thing is, he has never seen 17 Again, so no idea why he thought that! Maybe I have projected that upon him! A Landspeeder would have been cool, but this fit the room better. I think his interest was peaked when I showed him a bed I found online, it was an AT-AT some guy built. It was pretty impressive.

10. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Kudos to you Sir! Looking great so far.

11. Rick H

Rick H Well-Known Member

(y)thumbsup Way to go Dad... Looking good. Your Boy will remember this forever.

12. IndyBlues

IndyBlues Sr Member

That is * cool!!
    Mike

13. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great project!!!

The carpet is the right colour already (although you might want to think about getting a few scraps of carpet in Sarlacc colours :p ), but you know that you need to do something to the wall, right? Some blue for a sky, a twin set of suns, a few banthas in the background in the dune sea, should be a piece of cake for someone who can build such an awesome bed ;)

14. MFP 2020

MFP 2020 Sr Member

Great stuff!

15. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

16. Lucien Kane

Lucien Kane Well-Known Member

I hope my son is this cool

and this is awesome, seriously well done! ... My wife was looking at it and suggested a toy bin in the back with some kind of draw down cover over it to keep it hidden. Might be neat.

17. azheat01

Thanks guys, ManfromNaboo, I was already thinking that! For some reason my son never wanted his room painted, he had a lot of those wall decals of super heroes, most of which I took down when I started this project. He was just funny about his walls being painted, but now he is super excited.

I was thinking about some kind of mural maybe, not sure yet.

18. azheat01

Today I wanted to work on the first part of the sail fin, as well as some trim work. I bought a wood plate from Michael's and two rebar caps from Lowes. I mounted the wood block to the wood plate, then mounted the rebar cap.

10.JPG

I also picked up this replacement foot rest leg and mounted it on top of a wooden dowel rod.

11.JPG

12.JPG

I then mounted the wooden dowel to the plate.

13.JPG

I also bought some schedule 40 connectors, luckily the larger piece just barely fit the over rebar cap. A little glue and a few wacks with the mallet and it's secure as can be. The smaller coupling fits into the larger piece.

14.JPG

Here's how it looks mounted. I am a little bummed, I made it just a bit shorter than I wanted, but oh well. I think it will look much better when painted.

15.JPG

17.JPG

Next I'll finish the rear part of the sail.

19. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Fantastic. Lucky boy you have there!

20. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think this one deserves to be moved from the OT to the main prop forum. ;)

Michael

21. hankey01

hankey01 Sr Member

You need my Sarlacc Pit rug/blanket!!

Edit...good memory Funky!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  22. tk 9464

tk 9464 Member

Great looking work... the better reason why there is a Father's Day. Keep posting the pics.

23. sterling archer

sterling archer Active Member

Awesome work!! Just wondering if you could make one for a king size bed, cause I would buy it. Don't know how I could explain to my wife that I REEEEEEALLY needed to buy it though:facepalm.

24. AGxM

AGxM Well-Known Member

Brad, your first post is soooooooo true.

Az, great work and I'm sure your boys loves it!

25. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

When you are done with that, can you come to my house and build me Jabba the Hutt's ship? I expect it to include Leia in a metal bikini.

26. Fuzzual

Fuzzual Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Let me tell you something brother, you should be commended very highly for this. Not only is this a great build, and fun to watch come together, but I can promise you that your son will NEVER forget it.

I say that, as my father always took the time to do things like this for me, and with me growing up. A Jawa Blaster, Vader breathing box, and more than I can mention. And today, well, he instilled this habit in me, and now we work on some great projects together, and it's amazing!

Sorry to get long winded, but I love to see things like this. My dad is my hero, and the memories of these types of projects are never forgotten. Great job!!!!!!!!

27. Robert412

Robert412 Well-Known Member

Also, you have inspired me, sir. I have a 3.5 year old daughter. She's a monster. I'm talkin, the size of a 6 year old. (but what do you expect, when the runts of two families have a baby). She doesn't like star wars (yet!) but she does, in fact, sleep in a bed... One that is rapidly becoming too small for her. So, for her birthday, I will be building a loft bed...

All because of you and your wonderful son.

28. stromo

stromo Well-Known Member

Great job, Az. Very inspiring.

29. Leigh

Leigh Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I wish you were my Dad :cool Mine was always too busy fiddling with cars to spend time doing this sort of thing. Awesome!! (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

This has got me thinking, the missus said just the other that we need a bigger bed & maybe I could make one....Hmmmm

30. azheat01

Thanks guys, glad to see this is inspiring a few members!

Thanks bro, I appreciate that. My son definitely loves it, and I am glad I have this opportunity to do something like this. By the way, lovin' your room!

That's awesome, I have a 3 year old daughter and she wants a princess bed. I think I am taking a short break after this one, but I'll get to it!

That's sweet, I need to seriously consider one of those!

I did some more work today, and I will say this, this sucker almost defeated me today! Everything that can go wrong, practically did. My control box got completely screwed up, I made a mistake with my design and I split a chunk of wood off, but I worked around it.

The first thing I did was worked on the audio. I was looking for something inexpensive and easy to work with, so I got these audio discs from Build-A-Bear (the same one I used on my Jawa), they're about $8 each. But this time I messed around with it. I removed the push button and soldered a momentary on/off button from Radio Shack. It actually works pretty good, you'll see later in the video.

I bought 3, 2 for separate blaster sounds and 1 for an engine sound. The only thing that sucks is you only get about 10 seconds, so the engine sound was cut short. The blaster ones are perfect.

18.JPG

Here's the button that I mounted to a plug, these go on top of the piloting sticks.

19.JPG

I mounted the speakers to the inside of the control column. I also used schedule 40 PVC for the handles.

20.JPG

Here's a view with the column nearly complete.

21.JPG

Here's the control panel lit up. I managed to get a broken oil gauge from the local auto parts store and back lit it with a white LED. I also added 2 lighted switches, one controls the red LEDs and the other the blue. I added another momentary on/off switch, this one controls the engine sound. The two switches below the yellow lights control the yellow lights and oil gauge and the other controls some red LEDs on the side of the bed.

22.JPG

Here's a video of how everything works. All the LEDs are powered by a 9V battery, the sound is controlled separately by the internal batteries of each disc. The pilot control handles move forward and back.

Star Wars Desert Skiff Bed.MPG - YouTube

I think tomorrow I wil start painting, it's pretty much ready for paint, save a few minor touch-ups and detail work.

My son and daughter loved this, they played with those switches for half the day. My son kept pretending he was taking off and landing, it was priceless and makes this all worth while.

31. Fuzzual

Fuzzual Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool!

32. roblenzz

roblenzz Active Member

I just checked out your youtube video. That is amazing!! I have boy/girl twins who just turned 5. My son wanted a vacuum and my daughter wanted a "Thor Hammer" hmmmm... I'm not giving up hope on him!! Great job, Superdad! Bed looks awesome!!

33. azheat01

Here's a better view of the control sticks, used several pieces of PVC pipe.

23.JPG

frosty likes this.
  34. frosty

frosty Sr Member

that is brilliant, well done!

35. SciFiMuseum

SciFiMuseum Well-Known Member

I would have killed to have a bed like this when I was a kid! It lights up AND make sound effects...really nice man. Your son will always treasure that you did this for him. Too cool.

36. azheat01

Thanks guys!

One final finishing touch before I start painting. I finished the rear sail using a piece of foam core board and paint stirring sticks. I cut the sticks to length and added them to the foam board. I am hoping it ties in when I paint.

25.JPG

37. azheat01

Finally got to painting today, but it's going a little slower than I had hoped for, lots of awkward angles. I really love this color, it's not nearly as green as it looks in the photos.

I also love how the rear sail wing turned out.

Back at it tomorrow, want to wrap this one up before the weekend's over if I can.

29.JPG

26.JPG

27.JPG

Guri likes this.
  38. SailorEarth

SailorEarth Active Member

This is all kinds of cool! Kudos to you for taking the time to do this for your kid :)

39. azheat01

Just about done with the base coat, about to move onto a little weathering. I also added a piece of gray anti-fatigue mat for the floor. I got this from Lowe's. They sell it off the roll for about $3.50 a linear foot, but I didn't need much. I spent about 8 bucks and did it with one piece because it was just wide enough.

30.JPG

31.JPG

32.JPG

40. Dragontomb

Dragontomb Active Member

Very cool bed.

41. SciFiMuseum

That looks so good. Are you going to pick up a Sarlacc Pit rug for the side of the bed? It would make a great add on...your son's friends minds are going to explode when they come over!

42. azheat01

I'm thinking about it, depends on cost. I got to tally up the total on this bed and see what the damage is!

43. Hogosha

Hogosha Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I can't tell you how much this thread made me smile, even as I am typing this. You did a fantastic job, and your son is very, very lucky to have a Dad like you. I am sure he loves it and will never forget it.

44. Lost21stJedi

Lost21stJedi Well-Known Member

awesome job

45. Chr2win

Chr2win New Member

As someone said above, the memories of you taking the time to do this for your son is going to last much longer than the bed ever will. Congrats on being the type of dad I inspire to be!

46. JazzK

JazzK New Member

I suspect this is going to be awesome.

47. SciFiMuseum

That bed is awesome no matter what you decide!!!

48. Nero

Nero New Member

That is awesome! your an inspiration to us fathers. good job my sons arent on the rpf, yet

49. ARKM

ARKM Sr Member

Awesome bed.

50. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is all kinds of cool!!