--1:1000 TOS Enterprise
--1:1000 Enterprise Refit
--Enterprise D
--T2 M79 Grenades

Add another...

IMG_5340.JPG

Last edited:
This is the Motorola Saber 2.

I've learned from an expert (perhaps a member) who built an AMAZING Explorer replica, that there were MANY variations even within the "2" model.

This was an eBay find for about $120.00, and is damn close to the correct model.

Mine has an additional "encryption node" between the radio proper and the battery (again - learned from the 'expert').

And the battery is too long.

Making the overall radio too tall.

Hence the molding...

I am molding the two components separately so that I can easily cast and / or cut the finished pieces to the proper length.

Not certain at this point if I will hollow-cast the radio and add a 9v battery and lights.

Maybe...

Nice. I still need to paint my Radio, but I will wait if I can do it outside... haven't checked for the correct colour, always a little bit complicated, because the names are different or we use the RAL colour System...

Finally made my casts...

The upper half (the radio proper) had some swell at the opening of the mold, but this cast will be cut down immediately below the grill, so I am hopeful the swell will be mostly or entirely cut off.

Am going to take a mold / cast of the other half of the battery connection so that - though resin - it may function (slide into each other).

Like the radio, the battery pack needs to be shortened as well.

Initial thought was to cut off the bottom (which currently is the rough "pour surface" of the cast) and sand / sculpt the cut surface to shape.

An alternative would be to take a mold / cast of the true bottom of the battery pack, and seam the two halves of the overall pack cast somewhere in the middle.

IMG_5864.JPG
IMG_5865.JPG
IMG_5866.JPG
IMG_5867.JPG
IMG_5868.JPG

Very cool. I look forward to watching your progress. What products are you using to cast them?

This looks Great! I've been trying to get a saber 2 radio for a while, but I just don't have the funds to get one. You wouldn't be happening to make a run available, are you?

This looks Great! I've been trying to get a saber 2 radio for a while, but I just don't have the funds to get one. You wouldn't be happening to make a run available, are you?
Not a run, per se...

But if I can get my casting "dialed in", I can probably pour a couple more.

Right now I'm having a bit of an issue getting a good cast, as the resin "swelled" a bit in the mold, making the cross-section a bit more oval.

Not a run, per se...

But if I can get my casting "dialed in", I can probably pour a couple more.

Right now I'm having a bit of an issue getting a good cast, as the resin "swelled" a bit in the mold, making the cross-section a bit more oval.
You may have better luck if you add a frame or box around the most to help prevent flexing, but i've never tried a latex mold so i could be entirely wrong on that

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back