New Predator "movie Script"

I concider all of this, I have friends in Hollywood that do writing here and there. Also I went to school for ART and WRITING before, so script layout and fonts are all very much understood. As for budget, every scene is designed to be shot VERY inexpensively, but also able to capture great scenes at the same time. Being an ARTIST, I have been able to also layout STORYBOARDS and a lot of detailled CONCEPTS. I,ve got all NEW weapons, charactor, and Predator visuals to go with the SCRIPT. I still have a couple months of design work for all the major CHARACTORS and WEAPONS, all are original and neat new gadgets for the Predator franchise. This is a VERY true SEQUEL to PREDATOR and PREDATOR 2, but not ignoring PREDATORS either. The script ties all MOVIES together in a very simple yet interesting way.

PLEASE KEEP THE ADVISE COMING......I LOVE ALL THE COMMENTS!!!

one more quick note ..and an important one. You may want to get your military front lines correct. We are in Afghanistan to fight terrorism. We were never in Iraq to fight Al Quieda. We were in Iraq because their dictatorship threatened a neighboring sovereign country. Then they wouldn't bow to pressures over the potential stockpiling of weapons of mass destruction.

these are the things that wont get you past page one with a producer ( well really a script reader ..then maybe a producer)

As stated FOX will not accept an unsolicited script. You will have to be reports first. Also, and this is what's taters most, in a franchise piece, the screen writer will be hired. In other words the will
Most likely seek them out.

A very good point. Writing a script for an already-existing franchise GREATLY lowers any chance of being accepted, since if a studio wants something for that franchise they already have a known talent pool to write it. Also, writing for a franchise limits your potential buyer to ONLY the particular studio that is producing that franchise, whereas if you write a generalized story with original characters, ALL studios are potentially open to you.

If you really want a script produced, your best bet is to re-write it to a new original character and storyline. Since the odds are already vastly against you right from the start, it is best to do whatever you can to increase the odds in your favor and maximize the number of people who may potentially buy your work.

EDIT: And if you really have your heart set on doing a Pred movie, do what I do---produce it yourself (and I literally do everything myself) and put it up on YouTube. It's a great way to learn about costuming, story-writing, lighting, FX, editing and such. I'm just waiting for someone at ILM to see my fan films and email me to offer a job. :D (I'm only kidding--I'm quite happy where I am, and I only make fan films for the fun of it.)

As an aside, now is a very good time to be a writer, whether it's books or screenplays. Back when I started as a freelance writer, in the late 80's, there were only a handful of large publishers that dominated the industry, and if they didn't want your stuff, your manuscript would just sit in a desk drawer and rot away. Now, however, there are other workable options for writers. Print-on-demand technology means that there are now lots of small publishers (some with very niche markets) who can print stuff that the big publishers don't want to bother with. (I now make my living with a small publishing company that uses print-on-demand technology to publish books to Amazon.) E-books mean that writers don't even need a publisher anymore---both Apple and Kindle have programs to allow anyone to write e-books and put them in Apple Bookstore and Kindle Bookstore, where they compete right alongside the big publishers. Heck, if the money's not important to you, you can just put an entire manuscript up as a website and reach a larger audience than best-selling authors could reach just 15 or 20 years ago. (Although sadly, as a quick glance at any "fan fiction" site will show, 99.99% of all the writing that gets posted to the Net is abysmally awfully mind-numbingly bad.)

Movies have undergone a similar explosion. With cable TV, there are lots of outlets for movies now that didn't exist 20 years ago. And cheap camera and computer technology now makes it possible for independent movie-makers to film and edit their movies digitally, far more easily than could have been done before. It's now even possible to burn your own DVDs and sell them in online marketplaces.

For someone like me who has been in the publishing biz for 30 years, the changes that technology has brought are amazing, and entirely welcome. While the big boys still dominate, it's a lot easier now for the little guys to make a living at it too.

I know!!!!! I have awesome Editing programs which make it very easy to have a CLOAKED Predator in the frame and then switch to Pred-Vison and it looks really well compared to the First Predator movies. Along with really good Green Screen affects, actor can be put anywhere and it looks decent enough.

I know!!!!! I have awesome Editing programs which make it very easy to have a CLOAKED Predator in the frame and then switch to Pred-Vison and it looks really well compared to the First Predator movies. Along with really good Green Screen affects, actor can be put anywhere and it looks decent enough.

I use Adobe Premiere and Adobe After Effects in my editing.

You may be interested in the "How I Make Fan Films" post I did here in the "Transmissions" section. I call myself "OneMan Productions" because I do everything myself--I do all the costumes, all the editing, all the FX, and play all the roles myself (I composite all my characters using greenscreens).

My fan films (or at least the two latest ones) are also posted in the "Transmissions" section if you want to see them.

SAME HERE,...not many people in around here have any interest in productions or even being used for photography. What I would give for around 10 people wanting to work on these projects as much as I do!!!!!

SAME HERE,...not many people in around here have any interest in productions or even being used for photography. What I would give for around 10 people wanting to work on these projects as much as I do!!!!!

Well for me, I work solo by choice---it's sort of a game just to see how sophisticated I can get all by myself.

But sometimes I do wonder what I could do with actors. And a cameraman. And sets. And a budget.

I use Adobe Premiere and Adobe After Effects in my editing.

You may be interested in the "How I Make Fan Films" post I did here in the "Transmissions" section. I call myself "OneMan Productions" because I do everything myself--I do all the costumes, all the editing, all the FX, and play all the roles myself (I composite all my characters using greenscreens).

My fan films (or at least the two latest ones) are also posted in the "Transmissions" section if you want to see them.

"OneMan Productions" I like that!
I've seriously considered taking the 'one man' approach myself. I've found a number of ways to produce quality bound books at home that can rival those made by commercial printing presses. It can save me a fairly decent amount of money, plus I like the idea of having nearly total control of everything. I like the challenge of pulling this off as well. There are a few draw backs I'm finding with this, though. One being, If I did produce my own printed books, what then, would set me apart from all the other 'rouge' producers of fan fiction? I don't want to be lumped in with those guys.

As you stated in an earlier post, a good sized chunk-if not most, of fan fiction work is HORRIBLE! This is one of the leading reasons, right up there with infringement issues, many authors are reluctant to encourage fan fiction. In some cases its quality and content is found unflattering by authors. Anne Rice, for example, down right forbids fan fiction based on her works. There are a few gems in the Fan-fiction arena, but they are overshadowed by all the less than mediocre at best writings out there.

Another issues I see with this is, I can't imagine FOX, earnestly even attempting to consider giving someone leeway, in the usage of their properties, who plans to go the cheap, DIY route. I think FOX would find this distasteful on some level, and would feel that the writer isn't taking the handling of their property seriously.

I can argue for and against both ideas, but one thing I know for sure, and that is I want to do things right by FOX. I really appreciate their leniency with fans, and that's something I don't want to take advantage of.

I've seriously considered taking the 'one man' approach myself. I've found a number of ways to produce quality bound books at home that can rival those made by commercial printing presses. It can save me a fairly decent amount of money, plus I like the idea of having nearly total control of everything. I like the challenge of pulling this off as well.

The publishing company I make my living at (actually I own it) is a one-man show. It consists solely of me and my laptop. I do all the editing, all the layout, all the cover design, and all the paperwork for the state and the Feds. Right now I have around 120 print books available, and around 220 ebooks. Combined, they bring a pre-tax income of around $65k a year. (I should note that it took me about five years to get to this point.)

Some info that may be of help for you . . .

You may want to check into a Print-On-Demand service (NOT a "publish-on-demand" vanity press where you pay a company to publish your book, those are entirely different and are nothing but ripoffs). Print-on-demand uses a high-resolution laser printer to print and bind one copy of a book at a time from a stored computer file. It produces professional-quality printed books (indeed many of the professional publishers have been moving their backlists to print-on-demand so they don't have to pay for offset print runs). Print-on-demand does each book to order, so instead of paying upfront for a print run of hundreds of books, you just pay one at a time for the ones you need. It's a godsend for small publishers.

There are three options available to small publishers for print-on-demand. One is Lulu.Com . The advantage to Lulu is that you don't need a publishing company of your own--Lulu does all the ISBNs and that sort of stuff, and Lulu can (if you purchase their distribution package--though I think they were changing this to include some sort of free distribution) list books for sale at Amazon. The disadvantages with Lulu are that their printing price per book is a bit higher than everyone else, and that all their books are clearly marked as published by Lulu, which severely hurts their sales (most people still view "self-published" books as crap). Lulu is good if all you want to do is print your own professional-quality books for sale yourself to friends and family. It's really not economical for distribution to the public.

A second option is CreateSpace, which is owned by Amazon. CreateSpace has a lower price-per-copy than Lulu does, and it lets you identify your books as being from your publishing company (whatever you want to call it) rather than CreateSpace. So when your book is listed on Amazon, it appears as any other publisher would (though the savvy people will know it's CreateSpace because of the ISBN number). The biggest disadvantage of CreateSpace is that it ONLY makes its books available to Amazon US, and it charges a setup fee for every title you do (that's how CreateSpace makes its money). CreateSpace's fee is less than Lulu's charge for a distribution package. CreateSpace is as good option if all you want is to have your book available on Amazon, and you don't want to set up your own publishing company.

A third option (the one I use) is a print-on-demand service called Lightning Source. Their printing cost per copy is lower than CreateSpace, and they distribute not only to Amazon US, but to all other outlets too---Amazon UK, Amazon Europe, Barnes and Noble online, Powells online, and any brick-and-mortar store that wants to order it. The big disadvantage to Lightning Source is that they do not work with individual authors--they ONLY work with publishing companies, and that means you have to set up your own publishing company, which includes all the federal and state paperwork to form a company, and you must buy a block of ISBN numbers--the initial cost for all that is $500 to $1500 depending on how many ISBN numbers you buy to start. But that disadvantage is also an advantage---with my own company and my own ISBN numbers, my titles look just like any other publishing company's titles--same quality, same listing on Amazon and other online bookstores. Financially, Lightning Source also charges a setup fee per title, and also an annual catalogue fee per title. But the much wider distribution makes up for that. For the serious publisher who wants to sell print books to the widest possible audience, Lightning Source is the best option.

And there is yet another route to go, which you can do either in addition to print books or instead of it---ebooks. Kindle (which Amazon owns) has a program called Kindle Direct Publishing which allows anyone to submit ebooks for sale at the Kindle Store. Submission is entirely free, and gets you listed just like every other listing on Kindle. You get to set your own price, and you get X percentage of every copy that sells. The big advantage for the Kindle ebook route is that it's completely free---you don't need any publishing company or ISBNs or setup fees or printing costs. The disadvantage of Amazon's direct publishing program is that it ONLY gets you on Kindle, not on other ebook platforms like Nook or Apple Books. But there are other places (such as Smashwords.Com) who can do that for you, free.

If you're going to publish fan fiction, of course, no matter which route you take, you'll also need to reach a licensing agreement with whoever holds copyright to the characters (or they'll sue the crap out of you). How much that will cost depends on the company--as you point out, some companies won't license fan fiction at all, while some, like Lucasfilm and 20th Century Fox, seem willing to work with fans. It's a big advantage for you if you can get the company to agree to a licensing fee of $ per book, rather than an upfront fee all at once.

But once again, I want everyone to go into this with their eyes open. Most books that are published, even by the big New York book houses, sell next to nothing. Publishers will find that some 80% of their total sales will come from just 10% of their titles. I'm on a couple forums with other small publishers, and only about ten percent of us are actually making enough income from publishing to quit our day jobs and make a living at it. So everyone starts out with the odds against them, and most of us never make it.

But as before I do encourage everyone to try. If you don't live your dream in this life, you won't get a second chance. :)

Lflank,
I'm actually considering going the print on demand route at this point. I'm somewhat familiar with it. I've been looking at the option for some months. Strangely, I'm not really wanting to make a bunch money-I know it sounds strange- but, I just want a published pred book out there, or at least one with FOX's blessings on it, this is my goal. Also, I only want to do a run of 100 or less. Now, I'm not sure how profitable that would be to FOX , if they were to grant a temporary license. Again, I know this sounds nuts, lol.

The biggest hurdle right now.. is dealing with FOX, and meeting whatever criteria they have that must meet in order to obtain licensing. I'm sure it takes more than money to get their clearance. I have a sinking feeling, one qualification is that one must be an already accomplished/published writer...hopefully I'm dead wrong.
CreateSpace, sounds like a reasonable option for me so far. Funny you mentioned LuLu. At FanBoy Expo, there was a woman by the name of Joanne Padgett, who did a panel on self publishing. She mentioned LuLu, and didn't have to many good things to say about them, mainly how their product was seriously lacking in quality and pricy.
Thanks a bunch for the info and advice!!!
~Estelle

Funny you mentioned LuLu. At FanBoy Expo, there was a woman by the name of Joanne Padgett, who did a panel on self publishing. She mentioned LuLu, and didn't have to many good things to say about them, mainly how their product was seriously lacking in quality and pricy.

Years ago, I used to use Lulu to print proof copies before I submitted a title to Lightning Source. Back then, Lulu actually used Lightning Source to do all its printing, and their quality was the same as all the others. Since that time, I do think they got their own POD printer and now print their own books, and that's probably why the quality went down. They always were the most expensive print cost per copy, though.

I think CafePress does POD books now, too, but I have no idea about their quality or pricing.

Here is a still I created for an over all idea of my SCRIPT.

Grabbed Frame 17.jpg

Grabbed Frame 17.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back